FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   "Marriage Takes Flight" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1690648-marriage-takes-flight.html)

kop84 Jun 29, 2015 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 25044478)
I'm glad to hear that . . . . hence the reason we have emoticons, such as ;) :p :eek:

:D

I was hoping the 4 exclamation points would work!!!!

:D

motytrah Jun 29, 2015 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by spamkiller (Post 25043670)
Delta does not allow miles or any other benefits to be transferred between spouses so what does this matter?

That is a market driven force. Japan based members have more benefits because DL has to compete with JL's and ANA's Family clubs. Which allows miles pooling between immediate family members.

captiveguru Jun 29, 2015 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 25041825)
What's a DO?

Something else related to new marriage equality.

I wonder if airlines are going to end their "domestic partner" travel benefits since gays can marry so spouses is all that's needed. At least with Delta, a domestic partner for NRSA purposes is merely a permanent roommate, so I bet some employees do just that. I'd be pretty pissed about gay marriage legalization if I had a roommate with travel benefits labeled as a domestic partner. Domestic partner travel is recorded as imputed income, and DPs can be same-sex or opposite sex and you don't have to be romantic, just inter-dependent like sharing a bank account and housing.

Edit: I think I just found the first legitimate argument against gay marriage: No more platonic domestic partner benefits (in any industry/legal use)! You have to actually get married now.

Not sure about the travel benefits, but DL and others are telling employees to get married if they want to continue to enjoy the benefits...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/29/yo...ling.html?_r=0

captiveguru Jun 29, 2015 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont (Post 25043987)
You may then want to contact the US government about your concerns. The numbers are directly from a 2014 study survey done by the National Center for Health Statistics. The highest estimate that can be found is less than 5% and that is from an pro-gay organization.

But feel free to believe what you want.....it is after all to your benefit to overstate the numbers.

This is exactly why I do not understand why DL (and others), are all waving the rainbow flag so proudly. The latest Gallup poll shows that 40% of Americans do not approve of gay marriage. Why risk irritating 40% to please 2% (or 5%)?

I prefer to do business with organizations which do not take corporate stands on social issues.

captiveguru Jun 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by sleuth (Post 25038332)
Except it is closed. The court did not entertain the number one reason why people are opposed (religion) because the Constitution makes that seperation very clear. The court understands that seperation and ruled accordingly based on the 14th.

The gay marriage issue is as closed as is abortion on demand. 42 years after Roe v Wade the battle is still being waged.

Bicostal Jun 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by captiveguru (Post 25044938)
This is exactly why I do not understand why DL (and others), are all waving the rainbow flag so proudly. The latest Gallup poll shows that 40% of Americans do not approve of gay marriage. Why risk irritating 40% to please 2% (or 5%)?

I prefer to do business with organizations which do not take corporate stands on social issues.

^

I find it irresponsible for any publicly traded commercial organization to be political on social issues, particularly those with significant disagreements.

If an organization adopts internal policies to suit their preferences, that's their call but that should be the extent of their position.

Ibtl

sleuth Jun 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by captiveguru (Post 25044954)
The gay marriage issue is as closed as is abortion on demand. 42 years after Roe v Wade the battle is still being waged.

So you're suggesting marriage equality will be only allowed within the first trimester of dating, no divorces allowed after three years of marriage, seperations will be banned, etc...? Amusing. Face it, marriage equality is a done deal. The generation that has kept it at bay is slowly dying off.

sdix Jun 29, 2015 3:15 pm

I think their campaign is a bit of a slippery slope. While I get it from a feel good marketing perspective that's all it is.

What happens when SCOTUS legalizes pot? What does the home page look like then? Will smoking be allowed on board? How about Abortion or Gun control?

SJC ORD LDR Jun 29, 2015 3:16 pm

I thought it was great for DL to have a message of inclusiveness on their homepage. Afterall, they want people to buy tickets from them and being inclusive helps sell more tickets than the opposite.

Since they are a business trying to make money, they also have a section dedicated to LGBT travel. If they make money on that, more power to them.

SJC ORD LDR Jun 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by sdix (Post 25044991)
I think their campaign is a bit of a slippery slope. While I get it from a feel good marketing perspective that's all it is.

What happens when SCOTUS legalizes pot? What does the home page look like then? Will smoking be allowed on board? How about Abortion or Gun control?

1) You can't smoke anything on board thankfully, but there are plenty of smoking lounges at ATL and some at SLC, maybe you can get high there.
2) Medical procedures do not take place on an airliner.
3) No way guns will be allowed on planes by us paying pax who aren't in law enforcement.

kop84 Jun 29, 2015 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by captiveguru (Post 25044954)

Sorry but you are incorrect in your comparison. You need to look at the age of the respondents. When you look at that the 18-39 year-olds are 74% in favor with people that are 65+ only 46% in favor.

The numbers on marriage suggest that this issue will go away over time.

Corganbr Jun 29, 2015 3:42 pm

"Marriage Takes Flight"

I find it very difficult not to go off about this subject, but I'll try to keep it in topic.

Like pointed above, the majority of younger people are for gay rights. Also, the vast majority of wealthy and highly-educated people are for gay rights. That explains why, overall, it's a good move for big corporations to support the causes. And I do believe that most of them also do it because they think it's the right thing to do.

mpheels Jun 29, 2015 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by captiveguru (Post 25044938)

Because it's not just about the 2%-5% of people who identify as LGBT. It's also about the 55% (give or take) of Americans who are straight and support LGBT rights.

bennos Jun 29, 2015 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 25044190)
Gay and Str8 is not an all or nothing deal for everyone. If Str8 is a "1", and Gay is "100", there are 99 shades in between! Surely not all of the people who are between, let's say, 50 & 99 would identify as "Gay".

:)

I thought there were only 50 shades of gay?

Widgets Jun 29, 2015 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by mpheels (Post 25045169)
Because it's not just about the 2%-5% of people who identify as LGBT. It's also about the 55% (give or take) of Americans who are straight and support LGBT rights.

++1
Saying Delta would make a bad choice in the 1960s by supporting interracial marriage because only 2% of the population was in an interracial relationship while 40% opposed those marriages would be wrong because you should also consider the majority of people who weren't interracial but supported them.