FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   "Marriage Takes Flight" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1690648-marriage-takes-flight.html)

Crazyhotelguy Jun 27, 2015 12:33 pm

Well, if anyone who is against gay marriage wants to stop flying DL because of their support, the ug chances may go up. I would be for that. :):)

FlyingDL4Fun Jun 27, 2015 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 25035639)
Well, if anyone who is against gay marriage wants to stop flying DL because of their support, the ug chances may go up. I would be for that. :):)

^^^ This may be the most impactful statement thus far!

And if you don't fly an airline (DL, AA, UA, WN, etc) due to their support of this...I see a lot of cars and trains in your future...

davetravels Jun 27, 2015 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun (Post 25035662)
And if you don't fly an airline (DL, AA, UA, WN, etc) due to their support of this...I see a lot of cars and trains in your future...

https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/ec...dog.JPG.cf.jpg

Or Gayhound!

:D

Marclaw Jun 27, 2015 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ND76 (Post 25035433)
Delta's management also ought to carefully consider Justice Alito's dissent in the Obergefell v. Hodges case. We now live in a country where it is OK for a judge or panel of judges to rewrite the law on any whim and caprice and use a flimsy if not nonexistent basis for doing so. What may seem to be a binding arrangement now may not be when challenged in court in front of a judge who may have had a bad experience on Delta.

Sounds just like the criticisms of the Court's decision in Loving v. Virginia which finally did away with the laws against
miscegenation.

Widgets Jun 27, 2015 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 25035340)
For everyone getting their panties in a wad here over a rainbow flag on DL's homepage because they think it signifies a "big corporation with a heart to support the LGBT community"...let me remind you how marketing works.

Just like all of the "enhancements" over the past few years...DL wants to make money. Marketing types conclude that dual income people with no kids (i.e. most homosexuals) are more prone to travel and spent big $$ on D1 seats. Therefore, guess what group of people they are trying to appeal to...

I can assure you that plenty of the higher ups in the company do not support gay marriage at all, perhaps not even Dick himself (hell, they are based in ATL). Just asking you to see the forest thru the trees. I am sick of people trying to politicize companies as if it means something.

Airlines are exceedingly gay. Find me one male flight attendant or gate agent who isn't gay. ;)
Both employees and customers in the industry are disproportionately homosexual. This isn't just good PR; it's the company's culture.

Widgets Jun 27, 2015 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Marclaw (Post 25036002)
Sounds just like the criticisms of the Court's decision in Loving v. Virginia which finally did away with the laws against
miscegenation.

My interracial parents tell me that their peers when they were young didn't approve of their arrangement. But decades later on Facebook, they say they always supported all marriages between one man and one woman. People forget the fight for interracial marriage equality so easily, and the bigots who opposed it have magically forgotten all about their intolerance. I bet the same will happen for gay marriage. People will rail against it, but in a few decades, those same people will say they were always pro-equality.

fliesdelta Jun 27, 2015 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 25036017)
My interracial parents tell me that their peers when they were young didn't approve of their arrangement. But decades later on Facebook, they say they always supported all marriages between one man and one woman. People forget the fight for interracial marriage equality so easily, and the bigots who opposed it have magically forgotten all about their intolerance. I bet the same will happen for gay marriage. People will rail against it, but in a few decades, those same people will say they were always pro-equality.

This is why I find Justice Thomas' dissent galling. His own marriage, to a white woman, was illegal in Virginia not that long ago... certainly within his lifetime.

bennos Jun 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 25035340)
Just like all of the "enhancements" over the past few years...DL wants to make money. Marketing types conclude that dual income people with no kids (i.e. most homosexuals) are more prone to travel and spent big $$ on D1 seats. Therefore, guess what group of people they are trying to appeal to...

True, but...

I can assure you that plenty of the higher ups in the company do not support gay marriage at all, perhaps not even Dick himself (hell, they are based in ATL). Just asking you to see the forest thru the trees. I am sick of people trying to politicize companies as if it means something.
in a sense this doesn't matter. People don't see the CEO, they see the company and the message the company sends. Companies making socio-political statements certainly does mean something. This is not something Delta would have done fifty years ago (obviously modulo the lack of an internet at the time).

captiveguru Jun 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by skchin (Post 25034937)
Only God can save this world.

+1

captiveguru Jun 27, 2015 4:34 pm

Correct answer as to Delta's motives. I guess Delta doesn't believe that the traditional/conservative Catholic and evangelical Protestant money will go elsewhere.

Delta's management also ought to consider the time honored wisdom of 1 Timothy 6:10.

Delta's management also ought to carefully consider Justice Alito's dissent in the Obergefell v. Hodges case. We now live in a country where it is OK for a judge or panel of judges to rewrite the law on any whim and caprice and use a flimsy if not nonexistent basis for doing so. What may seem to be a binding arrangement now may not be when challenged in court in front of a judge who may have had a bad experience on Delta.

+1

captiveguru Jun 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 25036357)
True, but...

in a sense this doesn't matter. People don't see the CEO, they see the company and the message the company sends. Companies making socio-political statements certainly does mean something. This is not something Delta would have done fifty years ago (obviously modulo the lack of an internet at the time).

What statement is Delta really making?

Is it, "We support Gay Marriage."

Or is it, "We do not want to be treated like Chick-fil-A?"

My sense is that many consumer-oriented companies just want to fit in and will appease the group most likely to turn on them if they fell slighted.

lamont2718 Jun 27, 2015 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 25036011)
Both employees and customers in the industry are disproportionately homosexual. This isn't just good PR; it's the company's culture.

^ this. And believe me, it's not just the flight attendants.

sleuth Jun 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Precisely what law did the five judge majority re-write? My interpretation is they enforced the 2nd paragraph of the Declaration of Independence....you know, the one that mentions "all men are created equal"? And they tossed in the 14th amendment for good measure. It seems the dissenters need to brush up on the actual Constitution.......

NotHamSarnie Jun 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 25036357)
True, but...

Exactly! It's not that those of us celebrating are naive about Delta's calculation that this was a good marketing move. It's the fact that they concluded it was, possible backlash from God Squad notwithstanding! Progress indeed!

Esltroy Jun 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by sleuth (Post 25037051)
Precisely what law did the five judge majority re-write? My interpretation is they enforced the 2nd paragraph of the Declaration of Independence....you know, the one that mentions "all men are created equal"? And they tossed in the 14th amendment for good measure. It seems the dissenters need to brush up on the actual Constitution.......

Amen.