Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preloading carry-ons

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Preloading carry-ons

Hm...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/a...ocess-31452718

Disquss, yes?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:13 pm

Flight attendants last year did not like it because the extra agent whose job it was to load the bags onboard just left them at the bottom of the jetway for the flight attendant to deal with.

Hopefully these gate concierge agents will actually load the bags into the overhead bins and not stick it to the FAs.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Does Early Valet service cost extra? If reasonably priced I'd totally pay for that, especially if the bag is guaranteed to be above my seat.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by GeminisTwin
Does Early Valet service cost extra? If reasonably priced I'd totally pay for that, especially if the bag is guaranteed to be above my seat.
It looks like it's not costing anything, since they're targeting leisure (infrequent) travelers.

I'm glad they're testing this. Considering it's airline checked baggage fees that really inflates the need for overhead space, airlines need to do something.

You bring up an interesting point. I'm sure some folks would be willing to pay to have their bag stored, guaranteed above their seat.

Furthermore, I think it would be a great value-add for the Sky Club. I'd love to give them my rollaboard, knowing it'd be valet delivered above my seat before I arrive at the gate. I could spend an extra 15 minutes or so in the Club, not taking up space at the already cramped gate.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
My take is different: I won't use this service, at all. I keep valuable things (at least valuable to me, like my laptop and medicine) in my carry-on. This is only a little better than gate-checking a bag, in that your roll aboard will be with you when you deplane, but it will still be out of your control for some time.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:39 pm

To MSPeconomist out there...

If the FAA banned baggage fees (2 bags 50 lbs) so that all airlines would have to internalize the cost into fares, would passengers be less likely to go overboard with carry-on bags?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Me thinks that if DL feels there is enough demand for this service they will start charging for this and reduce/eliminate first bag fees, which would alleviate the time for boarding.

Ironically in my experience the longest boarding times are not always leisure routes, business heavy routes' bins fill up just as quickly if not more quickly as nobody wants to check.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by mills1090
Me thinks that if DL feels there is enough demand for this service they will start charging for this and reduce/eliminate first bag fees, which would alleviate the time for boarding.

Ironically in my experience the longest boarding times are not always leisure routes, business heavy routes' bins fill up just as quickly if not more quickly as nobody wants to check.
Delta is offering this on routes that have statistically low airport experience scores. Since the program's goal is to improve customer survey scores, I doubt they will ever charge for it.

I'm really curious to know how the gate concierge agents select who in the gate area gets to have their bag valeted. Do they walk around and pick out the soccer mom with a visor, fanny pack and the gigantic carry-on?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by Sousaphil
It looks like it's not costing anything, since they're targeting leisure (infrequent) travelers.

I'm glad they're testing this. Considering it's airline checked baggage fees that really inflates the need for overhead space, airlines need to do something.

You bring up an interesting point. I'm sure some folks would be willing to pay to have their bag stored, guaranteed above their seat.

Furthermore, I think it would be a great value-add for the Sky Club. I'd love to give them my rollaboard, knowing it'd be valet delivered above my seat before I arrive at the gate. I could spend an extra 15 minutes or so in the Club, not taking up space at the already cramped gate.
I agree. I would probably pay to have my bags transported from the SC to the bin above my bulkhead seat. This would allow me to not be a gate louse.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
This is the most idiotic plan yet that I've heard from Delta. First it was the racket they are running with legroom and "Economy Plus", where they are the proverbial "Tony", steal your seat legroom, and then try to sell it back to you for more. Then it was the "Economy Basic" BS which is basically a bait and switch campaign to show lower prices for a service that no one actually would want in the search engines, I guess to compete with WN or some of the ULCC's or something.

And now this. This is a new low in completely and utterly idiotic things that DL is doing. The overhead bin space thing is utterly ridiculous. I do not check bags, but some people, in fact, many people, are willing to check their bags if there are no checked baggage fees. WN turns and loads planes faster by having fewer carry-ons, and more stuff handled by the rampers. AS does the same thing within Alaska, minus the faster loading, since they take forever to board anyway, but at least most of it is just chilling in your seat, and not wrangling, cramming, and slamming bags.

Therefore, even though I don't check bags, I greatly benefit from WN's no checked bags fees. DL's system before was semi-functional if I took a seat in the back so that I could get carry-on space. Now with this BS, I can't get carry-on space, since it will all be filled up already.

DL already lost my business, so much as I can avoid them, a long time ago, to WN, even though I go to DTW at least once a year, and thus have to bounce through BWI on WN. But stuff like this is just galvanizing my complete and total hatred for their ridiculous practices.

DL should shape up in the following ways:

1. Scrap this idiotic plan.
2. 2 free checked bags for every passenger
3. Get rid of Economy Plus and Economy Minus, give every Economy seat 32". If I'm going to pay more than WN, I at least want what WN gives you, which is 31" or 32".

That would still leave first class, and their inefficient and archaic assigned seat model, but AS has those, and AS is still OK.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
New service for Kettles on DL - Early Valet

Delta's Early Valet service will offer to have airline employees take carry-on bags at the gate and put them in the bins above assigned seats. The airline wants to see if its own workers can load the bins faster than passengers.

The service began Monday on about two dozen flights, and that number is expected to rise steadily during June, Delta spokeswoman Morgan Durrant said.

Early Valet will be offered through August on some departures from Delta's busiest airports — Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City and Seattle.

It will be available only on flights that typically have a high number of vacationers. Presumably, business travelers know how to board a plane efficiently. Specially tagged bags will be stowed on the plane before boarding begins, Durrant said.
ARTICLE: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/airlin...--finance.html

Where is DL getting the extra staff to provide this VIP service for Kettles? Kettle1 wonders?

Perhaps get a bunch of interns to provide this service.

And why not do this in MCO where 90% of the flts are full of Kettles in the Summer?

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jun 4, 2015 at 6:19 am Reason: Merged into the existing thread on the topic
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:35 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
This is the first I've heard of this, but my initial thought is that the article is incorrect that it is 'airline employees' that load the bags, I'd have to think it's the same contractor at each airport that provides SkyCap services.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by kettle1
Quote:

Delta's Early Valet service will offer to have airline employees take carry-on bags at the gate and put them in the bins above assigned seats. The airline wants to see if its own workers can load the bins faster than passengers.

The service began Monday on about two dozen flights, and that number is expected to rise steadily during June, Delta spokeswoman Morgan Durrant said.

Early Valet will be offered through August on some departures from Delta's busiest airports — Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City and Seattle.

It will be available only on flights that typically have a high number of vacationers. Presumably, business travelers know how to board a plane efficiently. Specially tagged bags will be stowed on the plane before boarding begins, Durrant said.

ARTICLE: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/airlin...--finance.html

Where is DL getting the extra staff to provide this VIP service for Kettles? Kettle1 wonders?

Perhaps get a bunch of interns to provide this service.

And why not do this in MCO where 90% of the flts are full of Kettles in the Summer?
Not mentioned in the article... The bags will be strategically placed in FC directly over the seats of Medallion members that are flying on complimentary upgrades... Additionally, these passengers will now be required to board with Zone 13...
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Widgets
Delta is offering this on routes that have statistically low airport experience scores. Since the program's goal is to improve customer survey scores, I doubt they will ever charge for it.
While I agree with your conclusion, it is a scary thought that DL is doing this because of "low airport experience scores." They will be doing this at their HUBS and a couple other airports. If DL is really experiencing low scores at their busiest airports, the airline is in more trouble than many of us thought.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Earlier discussion is here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.