Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Surprise! Silver Medallion Status Is Yours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver

Just got this e-mail granting me Silver status. Haven't flown Delta in a couple years, but former Plat for multiple years. Guess they are trying to win back customers.

The e-mail also came with some bonuses and a quicker path to gold status.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:36 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold

I suspect Seattle-based former elites are targeted. Got that email too.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Please post the details regarding quicker path to higher status and other bonuses.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Yep. "Thinning the ranks..."

Although, I suspect there is room for few extra FOs considering how little the status is worth.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
def. new targeted for Seattle based flyer
Old May 27, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please post the details regarding quicker path to higher status and other bonuses.
To earn Gold Medallion status, you'd normally need more than 25 trips on routes like Seattle to Los Angeles. But with this offer, you'll earn Gold Medallion status after just six qualifying round trips anywhere, and enjoy benefits like Sky Priority® and higher upgrade priority.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by booper
To earn Gold Medallion status, you'd normally need more than 25 trips on routes like Seattle to Los Angeles. But with this offer, you'll earn Gold Medallion status after just six qualifying round trips anywhere, and enjoy benefits like Sky Priority® and higher upgrade priority.
GM for 25 "trips" SEA-LAX? Even if DL means ROUND trips, it normally would just be 50 segments and probably less that 50,000 MQMs unless someone did some creative routings.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
GM for 25 "trips" SEA-LAX? Even if DL means ROUND trips, it normally would just be 50 segments and probably less that 50,000 MQMs unless someone did some creative routings.
The number is 26 and a half round trips, but this is a marketing communication. 25 sounds better.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
This explains why on the Sunday of a holiday weekend, half the plane SEA-ATL was on the upgrade list.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:37 pm

Giving status away in SEA?!? What's next? Comp status for NYC?
Old May 27, 2015, 7:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold

Why not? It's not like Silver Medallion means much anyways. I am a former DL Plat who switched to AS during the peak of enhancements , so this gift would not earn my loyalty back. Perhaps others will consider switching back to SkyMiles... Plus, it's a status for a few months only
Old May 27, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by booper
Just got this e-mail granting me Silver status. Haven't flown Delta in a couple years, but former Plat for multiple years. Guess they are trying to win back customers.

The e-mail also came with some bonuses and a quicker path to gold status.
My colleague was PM for the past 2 years but dropped to Silver. He says he has no status and is constantly stuck in the back next to the bathrooms. He gets a free checked bag though.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by motytrah
Giving status away in SEA?!? What's next? Comp status for NYC?
Makes perfect sense actually. DL is waging a war locally here with AS. This is a somewhat cheap way for DL to woo away people who would be 50/50 on the fence about choosing Delta or Alaska. If I had no status on either, and suddenly got Silver on DL and the price was the same? Sure, I'd choose Delta.

Out of all the expenses they're incurring by going head to head with AS this is probably a fairly large bang for the buck endeavor when it comes to winning over fliers from a pretty loyal AlaskaAir population base.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
It's pretty equal to one of the the latest AS promos - MVP status for SLC flyers after one flight on AS (I didn't look into it, but I'm guessing it was the equivalent of DL FO).
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Both my gf (former Plat) and I (former Gold though not for a while) received the silver offer. Told us that we would keep Silver through end of year with 2 round trips in the next two months (after accepting offer). Regardless we get temporary silver during those two months.

We're both RDU-based (and neither of us has ever been SEA-based) so it seems they weren't just targeting SEA-based flyers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.