FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Surprise! Silver Medallion Status Is Yours (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1683111-surprise-silver-medallion-status-yours.html)

booper May 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Surprise! Silver Medallion Status Is Yours

Just got this e-mail granting me Silver status. Haven't flown Delta in a couple years, but former Plat for multiple years. Guess they are trying to win back customers.

The e-mail also came with some bonuses and a quicker path to gold status.

VladQ May 27, 2015 1:36 pm

I suspect Seattle-based former elites are targeted. Got that email too.

MSPeconomist May 27, 2015 2:02 pm

Please post the details regarding quicker path to higher status and other bonuses.

StayingHomeIsBetter May 27, 2015 2:36 pm

Yep. "Thinning the ranks..."

Although, I suspect there is room for few extra FOs considering how little the status is worth. ;)

Felixishim May 27, 2015 3:17 pm

def. new targeted for Seattle based flyer

booper May 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 24877732)
Please post the details regarding quicker path to higher status and other bonuses.

To earn Gold Medallion status, you'd normally need more than 25 trips on routes like Seattle to Los Angeles. But with this offer, you'll earn Gold Medallion status after just six qualifying round trips anywhere, and enjoy benefits like Sky PriorityŽ and higher upgrade priority.

MSPeconomist May 27, 2015 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by booper (Post 24878402)
To earn Gold Medallion status, you'd normally need more than 25 trips on routes like Seattle to Los Angeles. But with this offer, you'll earn Gold Medallion status after just six qualifying round trips anywhere, and enjoy benefits like Sky PriorityŽ and higher upgrade priority.

GM for 25 "trips" SEA-LAX? Even if DL means ROUND trips, it normally would just be 50 segments and probably less that 50,000 MQMs unless someone did some creative routings.

javabytes May 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 24878418)
GM for 25 "trips" SEA-LAX? Even if DL means ROUND trips, it normally would just be 50 segments and probably less that 50,000 MQMs unless someone did some creative routings.

The number is 26 and a half round trips, but this is a marketing communication. 25 sounds better.

houserulz77 May 27, 2015 4:33 pm

This explains why on the Sunday of a holiday weekend, half the plane SEA-ATL was on the upgrade list.

motytrah May 27, 2015 4:37 pm

Giving status away in SEA?!? What's next? Comp status for NYC?

VladQ May 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Why not? It's not like Silver Medallion means much anyways. I am a former DL Plat who switched to AS during the peak of enhancements :), so this gift would not earn my loyalty back. Perhaps others will consider switching back to SkyMiles... Plus, it's a status for a few months only

yohanson May 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by booper (Post 24877492)
Just got this e-mail granting me Silver status. Haven't flown Delta in a couple years, but former Plat for multiple years. Guess they are trying to win back customers.

The e-mail also came with some bonuses and a quicker path to gold status.

My colleague was PM for the past 2 years but dropped to Silver. He says he has no status and is constantly stuck in the back next to the bathrooms. He gets a free checked bag though.

tangfish Jun 1, 2015 2:17 am

Originally Posted by motytrah (Post 24878562)
Giving status away in SEA?!? What's next? Comp status for NYC?

Makes perfect sense actually. DL is waging a war locally here with AS. This is a somewhat cheap way for DL to woo away people who would be 50/50 on the fence about choosing Delta or Alaska. If I had no status on either, and suddenly got Silver on DL and the price was the same? Sure, I'd choose Delta.

Out of all the expenses they're incurring by going head to head with AS this is probably a fairly large bang for the buck endeavor when it comes to winning over fliers from a pretty loyal AlaskaAir population base.

Profchemnerd Jun 1, 2015 7:16 am

It's pretty equal to one of the the latest AS promos - MVP status for SLC flyers after one flight on AS (I didn't look into it, but I'm guessing it was the equivalent of DL FO).

Duke787 Jun 1, 2015 7:21 am

Both my gf (former Plat) and I (former Gold though not for a while) received the silver offer. Told us that we would keep Silver through end of year with 2 round trips in the next two months (after accepting offer). Regardless we get temporary silver during those two months.

We're both RDU-based (and neither of us has ever been SEA-based) so it seems they weren't just targeting SEA-based flyers