Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta pilot orders pizza for angry passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta pilot orders pizza for angry passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL PM
Something isn't right with the article; the two pictures are of different planes. The PHL-ATL flight referenced in the article could have been DL 1561, which was an MD88. The second picture looks like it could be F of an MD88, but what is the first picture? Looks like a 739? At least they had AVOD!

If there was more than one plane involved then I doubt it was "the pilot" that ordered....
Old May 27, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Something isn't right with the article; the two pictures are of different planes. The PHL-ATL flight referenced in the article could have been DL 1561, which was an MD88. The second picture looks like it could be F of an MD88, but what is the first picture? Looks like a 739? At least they had AVOD!

If there was more than one plane involved then I doubt it was "the pilot" that ordered....
The error is that you are assuming that a newspaper can get a story straight.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Shenanigans

It clearly looks to me like the person in 3B is a non-rev (you can tell by the eye contact with the FA) and is getting the good slices.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The top two pictures (the male FA with a huge stack of pizza boxes) appears to be a widebody plane, seeing how those port-side overhead bins are near the FA's right shoulder but there are no starboard bins anywhere near the FA's left shoulder.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

I agree. The first two look like a 739, but the bottom one looks like a 757 to me.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The top two pictures (the male FA with a huge stack of pizza boxes) appears to be a widebody plane, seeing how those port-side overhead bins are near the FA's right shoulder but there are no starboard bins anywhere near the FA's left shoulder.
It looks that way because of the way the Sky Interior bins are contoured, but I'm almost positive it's a 739. The second picture is clearer where you can see the starboard PSU.

Also, I like how the passenger who appears to be seated in 17D is basically giving the camera the finger.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL- DM/3MM, HH- Lifetime Diamond
Our SNA-ATL flight 1918 was also diverted to Knoxville yesterday for a three hour delay. Captain ordered 60 pizzas for us (non-angry) passengers, which was very much appreciated. Appears that it was a great day for Pizza Hut.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by auburntiger
Our SNA-ATL flight 1918 was also diverted to Knoxville yesterday for a three hour delay. Captain ordered 60 pizzas for us (non-angry) passengers, which was very much appreciated. Appears that it was a great day for Pizza Hut.
I'm a bit curious about this practice. Do we know if DL actually reimburses the captain for the pizzas? Also, how are these delivered? Does a local Pizza Hut have a driver walk them in through TSA or is there a back way of doing this via a caterer or something?
Old May 27, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL- DM/3MM, HH- Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm a bit curious about this practice. Do we know if DL actually reimburses the captain for the pizzas? Also, how are these delivered? Does a local Pizza Hut have a driver walk them in through TSA or is there a back way of doing this via a caterer or something?
I'm not sure regarding reimbursement, I would think it is simply the generosity of the pilot.
Regarding delivery, we did not pull up to a jetway as they were all occupied. Ground crew brought out the airway staircase as required/SOP for refueling while passengers are on board (I believe). Anywhoo, the pizza truck was visible from the plane- they obviously have some type of protocol in place to make it somewhat hassle free.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:54 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
Do we know if DL actually reimburses the captain for the pizzas?
I don't know if they reimbursed the pilot, but in another story that I read about this situation, Delta certainly took credit for it:

From CNN: “It’s part of an effort company-wide when weather disrupts our operation to get food and beverages to delayed customers,” said Morgan Durrant, a Delta spokesman.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/27/travel...eat/index.html
Old May 27, 2015, 4:58 pm

It must take a long time to prepare and deliver that many pizzas. I wonder what would happen if the flight suddenly received permission to depart before the pizzas were delivered?
Old May 27, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by auburntiger
I'm not sure regarding reimbursement, I would think it is simply the generosity of the pilot.
Regarding delivery, we did not pull up to a jetway as they were all occupied. Ground crew brought out the airway staircase as required/SOP for refueling while passengers are on board (I believe). Anywhoo, the pizza truck was visible from the plane- they obviously have some type of protocol in place to make it somewhat hassle free.
I think that 60 pizzas goes way beyond what any pilot would do out of a sense of personal generosity.

There's no way that Delta doesn't reimburse for this.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Originally Posted by makeUturn
It must take a long time to prepare and deliver that many pizzas. I wonder what would happen if the flight suddenly received permission to depart before the pizzas were delivered?
Then maybe the call should have gone to Jimmy John's InFlight delivery !

Regarding the time to make the pizzas almost zero virtually everything that
goes on a pizza is awaiting the customers last minute order - No doubt
Pizza Hut has an airport in house venue past TSA and can bake up 10 pizzas
at a time (looking at the photos looks like 20 or so pizzas) twice around the
bake cycle box-em and electric buggy them to the awaiting aircraft.
Viola 'Mission Accomplished' - Fade to Black end of commercial plane flies
off into the sunset with rainbows from fading storm clouds !

Hurray's Bravos Applause !

AND what happened on the other guys airlines ?
Old May 27, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by DLERT
No doubt Pizza Hut has an airport in house venue past TSA and can bake up 10 pizzas at a time (looking at the photos looks like 20 or so pizzas) twice around the bake cycle box-em and electric buggy them to the awaiting aircraft. Viola 'Mission Accomplished' - Fade to Black end of commercial plane flies off into the sunset with rainbows from fading storm clouds !

I've never seen an airport Pizza Hut that sold anything larger than a personal pan pizza. With storage at a premium in these locations, I doubt the in-terminal locations stock the necessary provisions to produce larger pies. My bet is they were made at a nearby off-site location and expedited through the employee/supply delivery gate.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by DLERT
Then maybe the call should have gone to Jimmy John's InFlight delivery !

Regarding the time to make the pizzas almost zero virtually everything that
goes on a pizza is awaiting the customers last minute order - No doubt
Pizza Hut has an airport in house venue past TSA and can bake up 10 pizzas
at a time (looking at the photos looks like 20 or so pizzas) twice around the
bake cycle box-em and electric buggy them to the awaiting aircraft.
Viola 'Mission Accomplished' - Fade to Black end of commercial plane flies
off into the sunset with rainbows from fading storm clouds !

AND what happened on the other guys airlines ?
Knoxville has no pizza in the terminal at all. The closest Pizza Hut is located across the highway from the airport...5 minute drive or less.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Close enough !
Food for the restless natives (ah er passengers) - a calming influence !
Anything is doable with a +Positive+ attitude !
The passengers on this flight will well remember what was done for them
instead of what was NOT done AND no priceless MasterCard required* !

* Well maybe the Captain used his - but Delta's profit pockets run deep !

At least there will not be any bad vibes of sitting on the tarmack without
food or water and restrooms well enough noted already !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.