Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Seat assignment has been changed due to seat duplication"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Seat assignment has been changed due to seat duplication"

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It really is immaterial what I think about seat equality. What's important is what Delta thinks. Delta sells tickets to transport people from one destination to another within several different classes. They do not sell individual seating assignments. As kettle1 keeps repeating: "same style seats, together, same service, same cabin".

As I wrote earlier, not all problems have to be resolved immediately. Duplicate seating assignments have no operational impact this far out.
The flight was wide open when I booked and it was a CSA that I talked to in March to use the GUCs that put me in those seats. None of this would have been a big deal if they would have sent me the second email I got from them in the first place. You can scroll back to read the one they responded to from my online message I sent to them.

It was the fact (and I believe it's a fact because the entire flight was wide open when I booked) that they sent me the original email (which can also be found here) stating that there was duplicate seating and I had been moved and then my phone call to the DM line where the CSA originally said it was probably an equipment change and I fired back (nicely), that there wasn't and that the 744 was the only aircraft that Delta had that had seats in those high of numbers. She then went on to say that Delta can't move people. I then replied that they moved me. This went on 2-4 times in a row and she got pissier and pissier. She then said she could put me on the lower deck where I said goodbye and hung up.

If they would have just sent the second email first, saying there was an operational change, I never would have even posted this thread. I may or may not have called. I wasn't even angry when I called. But, the CSA's stonewalling and downright snotty attitude pissed me off. She sounded young and as others have mentioned in this thread, Delta doesn't normally email someone about their flight when a FAM boots them out of a seat. Perhaps she panicked slightly knowing why I was moved but knew she couldn't tell me. Hell, when I got it, I thought it was for today's flight. I'm guessing they are starting something new and as usually, they came up with a stupid boiler plated response for it. Again, I wasn't really made about being moved. I'm happy to be on the upper deck of the 744 as is my son. It was the way Delta gave me the information and how their CSA got angry when I presented logic to the fact that they couldn't move people when I had been moved.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Data point

I have been move twice without any DL (and NW before) official reason from my UD seats on the 744.

I found out during and or/post flight that there was a need for US or visiting foreign government official. The front half of the UD or the complete UD offer the best location on the plane for security.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
There are also some federal law enforcement officers outside of the FAR program who are effectively treated as FARs by the airlines under certain specific circumstances, and those people may have reason to know they'll be traveling on work business that far in advance and have had plane tickets booked at that time.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by beachmouse
There are also some federal law enforcement officers outside of the FAR program who are effectively treated as FARs by the airlines under certain specific circumstances, and those people may have reason to know they'll be traveling on work business that far in advance and have had plane tickets booked at that time.
What's FAR? Do you mean FAM?
Old May 27, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Yeah FAM. Sorry about the confusion. Am currently staying at a bit of elevation and it's scrambling my brain today.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes
Because Facebook and Twitter, where Delta seems to interact just fine, are bastions of reasonable opinions and viewpoints on the internets?

It is clear that DL wants to put its resources into social media.

They have made that decision.

There are some here who feel compelled to "prove" that DL was "victimized" into preferring Twitter over FT.

Reality is probably closer to what Michael Corleone said...

"It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."
Old May 28, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
You could have stopped after the second sentence, and it would have been a reasonable post. Why the gratuitous insult in the 3rd sentence?
+1.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by kettle1
After the flt ask the person that sat in your original seat if he/she is a FAM, they just might let you know.
Or, just look at the person. 30-50 year old male, short hair, neatly but casually dressed, doesn't sleep on the flight, and doesn't order alcohol? Congrats, you've found a FAM.

Or, the super-easy method - if you board when they call BE, and he's already sitting there (but wasn't at the gate during boarding), definitely a FAM.

Or, the simplest solution, when they stand up or stretch, and the holster is visible.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I'll find out who took our seats in about 2 hours.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

So, I boarded and nobody was in 74A or K but there were people up there. A woman looked at another man's boarding pass and said "you're in 74K and I'm in 74A (our original seats)". The gentleman in 74K then handed her his passport and they settled in. They are still going back and forth getting settled and I don't recognize them as being famous. I doubt they are FAM.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by yohanson
I don't recognize them as being famous. I doubt they are FAM.
But they are seat thieves!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer
But they are seat thieves!
Yep! Looks like this is a case of DL bumping a GUC using DM for a paid D1 couple...or Non Revs.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by yohanson
It's the DTW-CDG flight.

Flight Information
DATE AND FLIGHT
Fri 03Jul2015 | DL 1096 | MSP ► DTW
Fri 03Jul2015 | DL 98 | DTW ► CDG
Sat 04Jul2015 | YS 8545 | CDG ► OSL
Thu 09Jul2015 | YS 8465 | OSL ► CDG
Thu 09Jul2015 | DL 242 | CDG ► BOS
Thu 09Jul2015 | DL 859 | BOS ► MSP
Well since OP posted the above, I am sure the FAMS were moved to other seats.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kettle1
Well since OP posted the above, I am sure the FAMS were moved to other seats.
They must have moved downstairs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.