Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Seat assignment has been changed due to seat duplication"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Seat assignment has been changed due to seat duplication"

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
If it's something easily duplicable, like a small conference room or a suite that can be upgraded, that's one thing.
But that's exactly why I mentioned it in this thread. Here, we're talking about something easily duplicable: seating assignments.

I've seen a hotel double-book most of its function space, and refuse to admit it. It wasn't pretty.
That is overbooking, which is something fundamentally different because there is no space to accommodate both parties. But, that doesn't apply to this thread because (as far as we know), the Delta flight isn't overbooked. The OP is still getting exactly what he purchased.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
But that's exactly why I mentioned it in this thread. Here, we're talking about something easily duplicable: seating assignments.
Depending on just what the passenger values, maybe not so easily. The fact that you think two seats are equal doesn't mean that someone else does, and he's the one paying multiple thousands of dollars for the seats.

That is overbooking, which is something fundamentally different because there is no space to accommodate both parties. But, that doesn't apply to this thread because (as far as we know), the Delta flight isn't overbooked. The OP is still getting exactly what he purchased.
The seat was overbooked, according to an earlier claim by Delta.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Depending on just what the passenger values, maybe not so easily. The fact that you think two seats are equal doesn't mean that someone else does, and he's the one paying multiple thousands of dollars for the seats.

The seat was overbooked, according to an earlier claim by Delta.
What do you not understand? The seat is being taken by a FAM and the US Federal Government requires any airline to release the seats to the Government. You as a taxpayer are paying for the seat for the FAM. The airline (in this case DL) can not release this data.

AGAIN, the OP has two identical seats, in the same cabin on the same flt on the same day two rows back.

I have been on flts in the past where a FAM boarded at the last minute and I was tossed to Y from a full fare F ticket. Stuff happens.

At least DL gave the OP a notice. They can not be specific.

OP -enjoy your flt and safe travels. Aloha.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by kettle1
What do you not understand? The seat is being taken by a FAM and the US Federal Government requires any airline to release the seats to the Government. You as a taxpayer are paying for the seat for the FAM. The airline (in this case DL) can not release this data.
I suppose it's possible that a FAM took seats over a month out. I haven't seen that before.

And if you go back and read the start of the thread, or even the title, you'll notice that Delta originally claimed there was "seat duplication".
Old May 25, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I suppose it's possible that a FAM took seats over a month out. I haven't seen that before.
I have. If in fact if this is a FAM - DL can not disclose this info. It also could be a computer glitch and DL corrected the mistake by placing the OP in the same style seats, together, same service, same cabin in the upper deck of the 747.

And if you go back and read the start of the thread, or even the title, you'll notice that Delta originally claimed there was "seat duplication".
If it is a FAM - DL can not disclose this info. If the Op is that upset - submit a clam to DL Customer Care. My god, we are talking two rows back.

OP - let me know if Taylor Swift or George Bush was in your seat.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by kettle1
I have. If in fact if this is a FAM - DL can not disclose this info. It also could be a computer glitch and DL corrected the mistake by placing the OP in the same style seats, together, same service, same cabin in the upper deck of the 747.

If it is a FAM - DL can not disclose this info. If the Op is that upset - submit a clam to DL Customer Care. My god, we are talking two rows back.

OP - let me know if Taylor Swift or George Bush was in your seat.
I really don't think it was a computer glitch. When I booked the flight, there was only one seat taken on the upper deck and the rest of the flight was wide open. It's possible, but highly unlikely.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: DL DM
This thread is an example of why we will NEVER have any meaningful contribution from DL on FT. So many opinions and viewpoints are on the fringe that a business can't possibly interact.

Last edited by bubbashow; May 26, 2015 at 5:16 am
Old May 26, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
This thread is an example of why we will NEVER have any meaningful contribution from DL on FT. So many opinions and viewpoints are on the fringe that a business can't possibly interact.
This.

Between yohanson's misogynistic language and the over the top speculation on why someone's seat moved back, why would anyone want to engage?

You'd be better off spending your time on www.lemonlyman.com (don't actually follow that link)

David

Last edited by dgilman; May 26, 2015 at 8:22 am
Old May 26, 2015, 9:57 am

If it is a FAM imagine how hard it is for the CSR. They know what is wrong but still can't tell you, and can't fix it. They just have to sit there and let you yell at them. The airlines (not just DL) have to have a customer service issue that they can easily explain but can't disclose.

I would suspect on long haul D1 flights for peak days (such as when the OP is flying) they would want to schedule the FAM earlier as otherwise you are looking a downgrading someone instead of moving them back a few rows.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by kop84
If it is a FAM imagine how hard it is for the CSR. They know what is wrong but still can't tell you, and can't fix it. They just have to sit there and let you yell at them. The airlines (not just DL) have to have a customer service issue that they can easily explain but can't disclose.

I would suspect on long haul D1 flights for peak days (such as when the OP is flying) they would want to schedule the FAM earlier as otherwise you are looking a downgrading someone instead of moving them back a few rows.
I didn't yell at anyone. The CSA said that they can't move them and I replied that they had moved us. Then she repeated it so I repeated right back that they were able to move me. Then she got snotty. The idea that it was a FAM never entered my mind. My brain was stuck on the thought that there couldn't be duplicate seat for 2 months and 10 days.

Last edited by yohanson; May 26, 2015 at 10:20 am
Old May 26, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yohanson
I didn't yell at anyone. The CSA said that they can't move them and I replied that they had moved us. Then she repeated it so I repeated right back that they were able to move me. Then she got snotty. The idea that it was a FAM never entered my mind. My brain was stuck on the thought that there couldn't be duplicate seat for 2 months and 10 days.
Yes. You were moved. No, DL can't move the people who are now in your seats.

Why is this so difficult to understand? DL doesn't owe you an explanation.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dgilman
Yes. You were moved. No, DL can't move the people who are now in your seats.
Why not? Other than some "official" FAM situation out of Delta's authority, they control every seat assignment up to and including during the boarding process. If Delta wanted to move passengers around on a flight, the certainly can. In the OPs case, the opted not to do so.

Originally Posted by dgilman
Why is this so difficult to understand? DL doesn't owe you an explanation.
Because its not true? Obviously they did it to the OP - I think that's pretty good evidence it CAN be done.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:56 pm

It really is immaterial what I think about seat equality. What's important is what Delta thinks. Delta sells tickets to transport people from one destination to another within several different classes. They do not sell individual seating assignments. As kettle1 keeps repeating: "same style seats, together, same service, same cabin".

Originally Posted by yohanson
My brain was stuck on the thought that there couldn't be duplicate seat for 2 months and 10 days.
As I wrote earlier, not all problems have to be resolved immediately. Duplicate seating assignments have no operational impact this far out.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It really is immaterial what I think about seat equality. What's important is what Delta thinks.
That's Delta's claim, anyway. What's really important is what a court thinks, if it ever gets that far.

Delta sells tickets to transport people from one destination to another within several different classes. They do not sell individual seating assignments. As kettle1 keeps repeating: "same style seats, together, same service, same cabin".
They don't even sell classes, or at least they try to claim they don't.

As I wrote earlier, not all problems have to be resolved immediately. Duplicate seating assignments have no operational impact this far out.
But the earlier they're resolved, the more options remain open, so the better off everybody is.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Because Facebook and Twitter, where Delta seems to interact just fine, are bastions of reasonable opinions and viewpoints on the internets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.