Wiki Posts
Search

Suntrust Delta Debit card T&C Changes

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Suntrust Delta Debit card T&C Changes

I knew this was coming at some point, but I didn't think it was going to be this drastic....

"As of July 25, 2015, you will earn one mile for each $2 in eligible spending up to 2,000 miles per month / per card.... with an annual fee of $95......"

Miles earned on DL are exempt from the monthly limit, and instead of 2 miles per dollar, it's now 1 mile per $1 on DL spend.

Looks like SunTrust is really trying to push the people who have had the DL Debit card to get a different card (or bank).
Old May 19, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow thats not even close to being worth it if you have one.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Yeah, saw this the other day. It was like losing a limb.

Mike
Old May 19, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Ooops. Just became not worth it. Bye Bye on this debit card.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:57 pm

I always questioned what the value of the debit card was when Amex was always the better option to begin with. I guess this just seals the deal in that respect.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
It can still be worthwhile. Certainly not for making any purchases that could be made with credit cards (you should never have been doing this anyway), but if you have high enough spend in areas where you cannot use a credit card, you can still earn 24,000 miles in a year for a $95 AF.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
It can still be worthwhile. Certainly not for making any purchases that could be made with credit cards (you should never have been doing this anyway), but if you have high enough spend in areas where you cannot use a credit card, you can still earn 24,000 miles in a year for a $95 AF.
True, but you also have to factor in the $3000 that has to sit in a Sun trust savings account that earns next to 0% interest. I could instead put it in a 5% rewards checking account and make $150 per year. So I'm losing $150+$95.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by msnut1
True, but you also have to factor in the $3000 that has to sit in a Sun trust savings account that earns next to 0% interest. I could instead put it in a 5% rewards checking account and make $150 per year. So I'm losing $150+$95.
That's an abnormally high interest rate for a checking account. Lucky you if you can get that.

Even so, $150 + $95 = $245. For 24,000 miles, that's right around $0.01 each. I would pay that to acquire miles.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Called SunTrust and voiced my 'concerns', the CSR claimed that it was Delta putting the 2000 mile monthly limit on the cards (not sure I believe that). But that said, I paid $75 for the card last year and racked up 48k miles, so paying $20 more for the card and getting half that is going to hurt.

I was offered 500 bonus miles to renew the card, I fought the urge to laugh. It's just as easy for me to put everything on the Sky Miles Amex and pay it off each month from my checking account and earn more miles.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msnut1
You don't need a minimum balance account to keep the card. I dropped it down to the 'basic' account and run my expenses through there and keep the 'real' money in an interest earning account.

By the way, where are you getting 5% on a checking account?
Old May 19, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by airindia787
I always questioned what the value of the debit card was when Amex was always the better option to begin with. I guess this just seals the deal in that respect.
Assuming someone has good enough credit to get an AmEx. And there are lots of places that don't take AmEx.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Its not 5% interest its 5% cash back checking - and I don't think its 5%. At least I've not seen anything like that.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by rnovak
Called SunTrust and voiced my 'concerns', the CSR claimed that it was Delta putting the 2000 mile monthly limit on the cards (not sure I believe that). But that said, I paid $75 for the card last year and racked up 48k miles, so paying $20 more for the card and getting half that is going to hurt.

I was offered 500 bonus miles to renew the card, I fought the urge to laugh. It's just as easy for me to put everything on the Sky Miles Amex and pay it off each month from my checking account and earn more miles.
I will not be surprised when the AMEX mile earning changes as well.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Ooops. Just became not worth it. Bye Bye on this debit card.
Agreed.

Until then, I'll be churning the crap out of it. Will probably just move in to my local Wal Mart.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:35 am

AmEx

Originally Posted by rnovak
I knew this was coming at some point, but I didn't think it was going to be this drastic....

"As of July 25, 2015, you will earn one mile for each $2 in eligible spending up to 2,000 miles per month / per card.... with an annual fee of $95......"

Miles earned on DL are exempt from the monthly limit, and instead of 2 miles per dollar, it's now 1 mile per $1 on DL spend.

Looks like SunTrust is really trying to push the people who have had the DL Debit card to get a different card (or bank).
AmEx must be happy. They lost Cosco, and this will not make up for it, but there will be many ST folks that liked the DL advantage that are now calling for a DL AmEx card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.