Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta seated his 4-year-old daughter 11 rows away from him on a flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta seated his 4-year-old daughter 11 rows away from him on a flight

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Thumbs down Delta seated his 4-year-old daughter 11 rows away from him on a flight

+$88 to change the seat

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/airl...710868957.html
Old May 12, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
So he admittedly tried to game the system to avoid paying for preferred seats. He could likely have gotten seats together through OLCI at checkin or at the podium.

Yawn.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Popcorn anyone?
Old May 12, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Dude paid $1200.00 from Raleigh to Montgomery? There is something fishy about this guys story.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Dude paid $1200.00 from Raleigh to Montgomery? There is something fishy about this guys story.
The cost is the least significant problem with this post and story.

RDU-ATL-MEM is routinely over $1,000/person. I just priced out RDU-ATL-MGM and it's almost $900/person next week.

The article is the typical media baiting its readers into fictitious outrage over a person's refusal to take responsibility for their own actions. If you're spending $1,200 on flights, spend the extra $88 to sit together. Neither of these flights is over 50 minutes long. I'm sure the child was in no imminent danger.

Lastly, the OP's click-bait thread title deserves a giant
Old May 12, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by aww3583
RDU-ATL-MEM is routinely over $1,000/person. I just priced out RDU-ATL-MGM and it's almost $900/person next week.
buying tickets one week out may have something to do with that price tag..

i see them aroudn 350-500 RT. another case of media sensationalizing and DYKWIA. WSTBST: Want sit together buy sit together.

cheapass dad
Old May 12, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
If I read the article right he did pay the $88. It doesn't say if the PNR's were linked, which is the first thing that should have been done.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:38 pm

If Airlines start coding in the ability to select Preferred seats or other locked seats to someone if they punch in the birthday and it's under 5 or so, how long until everyone traveling with anyone else puts in that they are 4 years old, gets the seats together and then calls DL to "fix" the SFPD? .5 seconds?

Should airlines try to get people seated together yes, but at what point does the responsibility shift to the parents traveling with small children to be proactive?

He also says "its the airlines problem to fix" No it's your problem. The airline doesn't care who sits where. YOU do. Could the airline be more helpful? Yes. But then you start drawing lines...is it 4 or 5 or disabled and then how disabled and then it just gets messier and messier.

I swear the WN model is looking better and better some days!
Old May 12, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
About $600 per ticket for the two of them, sounds pretty normal?
Old May 12, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by thoiboi
buying tickets one week out may have something to do with that price tag..

i see them aroudn 350-500 RT. another case of media sensationalizing and DYKWIA. WSTBST: Want sit together buy sit together.

cheapass dad
Did you read the article?

“One of the first pieces of information they asked me was her age, but when I was given the option to select seats, there were no seats together. I couldn’t even pay them for us to sit together.”

No option to pay at time of booking.

He did ultimately pay $88 at check-in to get seated together.

How is this "cheapass dad"?
Old May 12, 2015, 3:02 pm

I was gonna post earlier today with the my "click-bait" title...."OMG...he didn't use the disability ploy"...but, I thought better of it....lol. If he would have just been patient.....the GA would seat together...since there was, supposedly, many open seats. Guess he was too preoccupied with his Google Glass.
Old May 12, 2015, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Popcorn anyone?
Yes please. You got anything to drink?
Old May 12, 2015, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is an article per day about some parent who failed to take responsibility for their child's welfare and then blames an air carrier (train operator, bus company, hotel, and so on) for ruining their life, the child's chances of being productive in life or whatever.

A media starved for stories runs this stuff and OP who knows nothing about the facts and wasn't even present when it happened, posts a link on FT with a big thumbs down.
Old May 12, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
BA has a great policy with respect to families;

Reserving your seats

If you'd like to make sure the whole family has the seats of their choice, you can reserve them in advance.

View our seating page to find out if you can book your seat for free or if there is a charge.

If you decide not to select your seats in advance, we'll allocate your seats five days before departure. If the group can't be seated together, all children in your booking will be seated with an accompanying adult.
Old May 12, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If i buy a regular seat and only e+ is available, the airline will assign e+ at check in for free.
Common sense suggests that if a pair of seats is not available to parent and toddler at purchase, during check in e+ should be assigned free of charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.