Wiki Posts
Search

Exit row availability ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,DL,
Exit row availability ?

Has something changed? Every flight I check shows no vacant exit row seats. Have even checked 300+ days out and still nothing. I am only Silver but at 6'8" I need the legroom and Silver has always given me access to preferred seating. I have searched theses threads and can find no comments on this.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
I've also noticed some very funky things going on with the seat maps. They are starting to block out parts of the FC cabin (first two rows on an MD-90) on my itineraries that are < 3 weeks out, but if I search for a ticket without logging in for those same flights, only a few seats (or none!) are taken in FC. Sometimes the preferred seats "appear" to be fully booked when I'm logged in for flights that are months out. Log out, and look on the seat map for the flight and all of a sudden, they show available. Me thinks Delta is trying to make it look that there are scarce resources to encourage ticket sales/buy up to C+ or FC. Perhaps they can even target it to certain people (I've taken advantage of the buy-ups to FC before). Interested to know if others are seeing this or if its just an anomaly.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:10 pm

I can't see seat map at all on the delta app, keeps giving me an error and been doing this for a week now.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You just aren't going far enough into the purchase process to see them.

If you just select the initial "View Seats" option on your flights, they will not show as open. You have to click "Continue" after selecting flights, enter your passenger info (should automatically fill in when logged in), and then click "Continue" again to get to the "Review & Purchase" page. At that point, you can click the "Select Seat" option for your flights and it will allow to you view and select open exit row seats. Note that on some aircraft, some exit rows are also Comfort+ and you will not have access to those as a Silver until the 24 hour mark.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,DL,
Thanks LBJ. I'll try going farther in the booking process. I know as recently as February that these seats appeared on the initial page when i clicked "view seats".
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by LBJ
You just aren't going far enough into the purchase process to see them.
Well, the point still remains...most exit rows and the first row of first class are showing as blocked when shopping for flights. It is annoying. I have not purchased a flight in a few weeks...so I have not verified if that changes at purchase.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Recently the app has been refusing to show me the seat map (technical difficulties or some similar excuse, or just not available now) for flights on which I am ticketed when I click on the seats in my itinerary.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Recently the app has been refusing to show me the seat map (technical difficulties or some similar excuse, or just not available now) for flights on which I am ticketed when I click on the seats in my itinerary.
Just an FYI, Delta pushed an update for their mobile app today (iPhone, unsure if push went to Android), addressing this very issue. Just install the update and you should be good to go:

"Fixed an issue which caused some customers to see an error message when attempting to view/change seats."
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Android user having the same problem. Have not seen an upgrade. Guess we are of secondary importance in this Apple-centric world.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Exit row availability is not showing on laptop, browsing delta.com with Chrome. Oddly, if you do a dummy booking in Z, and scroll the seatmap down, you can see if exit row seats are available.

I really hope this is a bug and not the prelude to Silvers not having advance access to exit rows. I spend a lot of my own money (no biz travel/no expense acct) to meet MQDs. Hate to see yet another devaluation (though I know they'll come. Bah.)
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:29 am

I am curious if these glitches have anything to do with something that I came across yesterday when booking a JFK-SFO itinerary on the 757 aircraft equipped with D1 flat bed seating, the 75S I believe? After purchasing an Economy fare, seat selection shows seats DEF in row 20 and EF in row 21 as Main Cabin (preferred, dark blue) , not C+ (light blue). Is this correct, that these seats are not C+?

What am I missing here?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by smithaw5
I am curious if these glitches have anything to do with something that I came across yesterday when booking a JFK-SFO itinerary on the 757 aircraft equipped with D1 flat bed seating, the 75S I believe? After purchasing an Economy fare, seat selection shows seats DEF in row 20 and EF in row 21 as Main Cabin (preferred, dark blue) , not C+ (light blue). Is this correct, that these seats are not C+?

What am I missing here?
On the 75S, rows 18-25 are all C+.

I'm serving on a jury, which surprisingly has a ton of down time, so I randomly checked a few dates covering the JFK-SFO segment with lie flat and for some odd reason, the seats you mentioned are unavailable on every seat map that I checked, while the remainder of C+ is empty. I checked using my desktop, not the mobile app. Anybody have any insight on this? Blocked out for crew?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Navig8R
On the 75S, rows 18-25 are all C+.

I'm serving on a jury, which surprisingly has a ton of down time, so I randomly checked a few dates covering the JFK-SFO segment with lie flat and for some odd reason, the seats you mentioned are unavailable on every seat map that I checked, while the remainder of C+ is empty. I checked using my desktop, not the mobile app. Anybody have any insight on this? Blocked out for crew?
Thanks for checking, I'm glad to hear it's not just me. It's showing up that way for both legs of the journey.

I'm silver so there is a shot I'll get C+ upgrade within 24 hour window. There is still plenty of exit row seating (rows 35 and 36) available, but I'd be curious if anyone has experienced this issue in the past-- if I elected one of these would-be C+ seats, would Delta honor the seat assignment in row 20 or 21? I worry that if they fix the "glitch" I'll get booted closer to the date and exit row seating will not be available.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Anyone have experience with this issue, either with the 75S or other aircraft?

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 23, 2015 at 10:37 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are held for passengers with special needs, UAM's, etc. DL and NW have had such reserved seats for many, many years. houserulz77 did a long, exhaustive study on these seats just last month --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ior-check.html
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
They are held for passengers with special needs, UAM's, etc. DL and NW have had such reserved seats for many, many years. houserulz77 did a long, exhaustive study on these seats just last month --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ior-check.html
Wow, that list is fantastic. Thanks for sharing LBJ!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.