Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

There should be a bonus for being #1 with 0 available.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM

Any time I get a complimentary upgrade I'm grateful and realize it's a benefit and not an entitlement. But many times, when you get to the #1 slot because you're #5 and there are 4 seats available, it can be a tad disappointing. I've gotten to the point that I just laugh about it, especially after 4 weeks in a row of getting it on my first flight of my return trip each Thursday.

It would be nice though if they (automatically) threw you a consolation prize of 1000 skymiles if you're that person. It would make it a little easier to take, LOL.

I know they don't owe anyone a thing, but it would be a nice gesture (which is counter to my "should" in the topic, I know)

okay, bring on the redundant onslaught of how they don't care etc.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM PM
haha I've been #1 for 0 three times this year (including once with a RUC) and in no way do I think I'm owed something for the pain. If anything, it adds a frisson of anticipation while waiting at the gate. The crushing disappointment upon squeezing in to the board-thin slot in steerage is then alleviated by thinking that surely next time I'll win that particular lottery. Hope springs eternal.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
...I've gotten to the point that I just laugh about it, especially after 4 weeks in a row of getting it on my first flight of my return trip each Thursday.

...okay, bring on the redundant onslaught of how they don't care etc.
DL cares, and deeply at that, but they're also laughing as well.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Kind of like the middle seat bonus of 500 miles they used to give.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:26 am

I was #1 for 0 both LAX-SYD and SYD-LAX using a Global Upgrade Cert earlier this year. I eventually laughed about it...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I can picture the jockeying already on short flights: "Hi, I'm currently #5 for 5 F seats on this ATL-HSV flight. Can you change my fare class from K to L to drop me to #6 so I can get 1000 extra miles?"
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:21 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
The problem is that as people board, they drop off the GIDS, and so on any given flight, a dozen people could think that they were #1 with 0 remaining.

If they fixed that issue, I agree it would be a fun "unpublished" promo. I'd put it at 500 miles and the Account Line Item should show as "Lucky Loser 500 miles."
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andymo99
The problem is that as people board, they drop off the GIDS, and so on any given flight, a dozen people could think that they were #1 with 0 remaining.

If they fixed that issue, I agree it would be a fun "unpublished" promo. I'd put it at 500 miles and the Account Line Item should show as "Lucky Loser 500 miles."
Lucky Loser. I love it. Maybe also it puts your name in a drawing for a free RUC at the end of the year with the Luckiest Loser award, heh.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by shiner
I was #1 for 0 both LAX-SYD and SYD-LAX using a Global Upgrade Cert earlier this year. I eventually laughed about it...
OUCH!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL-PM, 1MM; HH-Gold; Avis First
It's called being "one with none."

I've always had the same idea as the OP...There ought to be some consolation prize, right?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Nice gesture? This is a seven-year-olds-playing-soccer, sixth grade gym class, everyone wins frame of mind. It reflects weakness.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
#1 with 0 - It's a bummer

I can't count the number of times I've been 1 for 0. I don't laugh, I don't cry, I just move along and think......thanks for playing, better luck next time.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Nice gesture? This is a seven-year-olds-playing-soccer, sixth grade gym class, everyone wins frame of mind. It reflects weakness.
Really?

Someone posts a thread that is clearly offered in good humor... and this is your "appropriate" response?

I hope that, on my worst days, I don't wake up in such a bad mood.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by shiner
which month did you travel last year?, so I know not to waste my GUC on LAX-SYD flight
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Thank you for the opinion, Mr Hulk, the participation trophy is in the mail. Chill out dude. It's just a conversation piece.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.