Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL hardly acknowledging silver medallion anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG

As a former FO, I know well that the benefits don't go much beyond those of amex cardholders. But, I was surprised by what I heard on my recent flight. During the FA welcome message, I'm used to hearing "we extend a special welcome to our medallion members" and this last time it was "we extend a special welcome to our diamond, platinum, and gold medallion members."

I see this as further evidence that DM is the new PM, PM is the new GM, GM is the new FO, and FO isn't even really a thing anymore.

I know that one FA greeting is obviously not a definitive sign of change, but I found this sadly hilarious in the face of all of the recent changes.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:11 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Soon they will welcome passengers that spent over $xxx for the flight, and ask them to stand for a round of applause.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Not hearing a welcome message is not the end of the day. However you can still score an upgrade if you select an off peak flight on the right route which to me is a nice benefit and also the Comfort + seats at the 24 hour mark. IMHO, those two are the major perks for an FO. @:-)
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by puddinhead
Soon they will welcome passengers that spent over $xxx for the flight, and ask them to stand for a round of applause.
Or a round of general laughter.....
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to disagree as the DM, PM, GM thing has been around for a long time (I'd say at least 2 to 3 years). I'm pretty surprised if this is the first time you've heard it as I've heard it many times. I actually think they are using it less. On many of my most recent flights they have just thanked "Million Milers and Medallions". It feels to me like they are phasing out naming individual Medallion levels.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
This is not new. It was the routine welcome for years. It is only recently, in the last year or so, that I have heard the more generic welcome of all Medallions. Guess there are still a few holdouts.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:31 pm

I don't recall what the FA announcements were on my last trip a few weeks back. But, on 3 of the 4 legs the GA scanning my BP thanked me for being an FO. That actually caught my attention...not that I would really care if it never happened again.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I am welcomed aboard on every flt with a thank you, a bow (Thai style), a PDB or two (three on my last trip to HNL) ^, a copy of the Wall Street Journal + the local newspaper and a foot massage. I than spread my crap all over the place to tell others who I am. I than make a quick cell phone call to my broker to make a quick stock pick. I than call my EX-wife to gripe that "little Johnny" needs to go to Public School instead of a Private School (because he is spoiled) and I refuse to pay. I demand that the FA take my food request first, than I fall to sleep, than I demand it when I wake up. Screw everyone else. That is just me. Perhaps I am wrong.

I am kidding, but I see this CRAP all the time.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
That's just really bad behavior to intentionally leave out silver medallions in the welcome announcement. It costs Delta nothing to acknowledge them. Keep it simple and just welcome everyone. We already know DL values the $25 F upgrade over medallions anyway.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: DL DM
Forgive this question, but what does "FO" stand for in relation to Silver Medallions? DM, PM, GM are all straightforward, but what is FO rather than SM? I recently achieved Silver Status for the first time and just thought I should know the phraseology

And yes, the benefits are almost identical to the Amex benefits. Too bad the upgrade benefits do not extend to Award Tickets. Flew ANC-SEA on an award a few weeks back and there was at least 4 or 5 empty F seats. I did snag an EC seat within the 24 hr window.

As far as the welcome message goes, I think all depends on the crew. Some mention medallions specifically, others just give a generic thank you to medallions and MMers. I have noted about 50% of GAs thanking me for being Silver and about 90% of phone agents thanking me. It's not much, but does make you feel appreciated.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
FO = "Flies Often", an old code they airlines used to use to identify their frequent fliers.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by aljacket
FO = "Flies Often", an old code they airlines used to use to identify their frequent fliers.
Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1P, A|Club G, DL SM, SPG G
I can remember back when Silver got priority security line access. If you're silver, you should think they can keep all their verbal thanks and return that service to your allotment.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by aljacket
According to this thread, it could also stand for "Flying Orchid." There's a pretty long and somewhat interesting discussion there about DL history and what FO truly stands for.

I personally prefer interpretations given towards the end of it standing for "F***** Over" or "Forever Outside [of first class]," both accurate based on my experiences as a FO.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
F.O. means Silver or FIRST OFFICER. It also includes those that can FO. It is DL baby!

"The friendly skies" - sorry wrong airline, and actually the "friendlier airline" is DL. ^

Happy travels!

Last edited by kettle1; Mar 30, 2015 at 2:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.