Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extensions on DL GUC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by eternalX
I think the agent got mine to go through too but then when she went to reissue the ticket, the reissue desk caught it. Thought I was in the clear!

And good points on the transferability. I used to fly UA and there were no rules there so maybe I'm confusing the two :\
Yep. UA and AA let elites transfer SWUs/eVIPs to anyone they want, although sales and trades are forbidden.

Actually I like the DL non transferability rule as it very effectively presents sales and trades of upgrade instruments. I'd rather not lose an upgrade to someone who shouldn't have one.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd rather not lose an upgrade to someone who shouldn't have one.
Wow.

And how would you possibly know if someone was upgraded using an instrument they did not earn themselves? It's not like you get double the GUC's if you share them, so the total number issued does not change no matter who is using it.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Wow.

And how would you possibly know if someone was upgraded using an instrument they did not earn themselves? It's not like you get double the GUC's if you share them, so the total number issued does not change no matter who is using it.
Of course I have no way of knowing whether someone else is using an upgrade instrument that they are not entitled to use, but I would prefer that my FF program enforce their own rules about not trading or buying/selling upgrade instruments. I follow the rules and I assume that the benefits I get are calculated based on how many others use their benefits either for themselves or for others. All promotions make calculations using the anticipated breakage rate.

So I repeat: I obey the rules and I don't think I should lose upgrades because others who have bought upgrade instruments from brokers are ranked above me in the list.

OTOH, I recognize that shenanigans by DL staff or downright incompetence in listing and confirming instrument-supported upgrades is likely to be a more significant factor.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:12 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Xeno
Multiple times? How many GUCs do you have and how often do you attempt this risky move?
4x2 (2 Diamonds), plus one or two that were never "pulled" when tickets were re-issued (no idea why).

SO did not use as many as anticipated since she purchased business fares (Delta and non-Delta) instead.

It's not really risky, as there are other ways to use. Just not something that is widely circulated.

[oh, and I live for risk, and would consider this a "low risk" situation.... ]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.