Extensions on DL GUC

Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
Extensions on DL GUC

Has anybody ever gotten one? I have some expiring in 12 days and I know I'll be taking a trip in the next 30 that I'd love to use them on. My searches on here make me think i'm sol but thought i'd ask around
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
You are SOL
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Per the strict terms of the certs, you must fly by the expiration date.

As a practical matter, has anyone booked a flight, applied an RUC/GUC that cleared instantly, gotten the ticket reissued (a critical piece here), and flown up front after the cert expiration? That's the way the old SWUs used to work. And I know just because the T&C say something doesn't mean DL's best-in-class IT enforces it.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This points to the wisdom often offered regarding Choice benefit selections: don't make a selection before you know pretty precisely how you'll use it.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
I was able to use 2 RUCs just before their expiration for a trip in December. However, the tickets had to be issued immediately and the UGs could not be wait listed.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by javabytes

As a practical matter, has anyone booked a flight, applied an RUC/GUC that cleared instantly, gotten the ticket reissued (a critical piece here), and flown up front after the cert expiration? That's the way the old SWUs used to work. And I know just because the T&C say something doesn't mean DL's best-in-class IT enforces it.
The SWU T&C allowed one to fly BE up to one year after the original expiration date if the ticket was reissued, but the rules for GUCs clearly say this is not possible.

On the other hand, I extended 4 SWUs on Feb 27 by buying two refundable B fares and the next day my SWUs showed up at expired. I called DL and was told they were gone, but my BE codes and seats are still in place. I guess the drama begins when I have to reissue those tickets yet again for one reason or another.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
I was able to use 2 RUCs just before their expiration for a trip in December. However, the tickets had to be issued immediately and the UGs could not be wait listed.
Very helpful. Did you have to escalate to a supervisor, or was it a non-issue?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ☆A Gold, Hertz 5☆
I get a kick out of the fact that Delta is iron clad with their "must fly by expiration date" terms of the RUC/GUC, especially since this was the first year they were offered as a benefit. There were so many issues I've heard (and seen firsthand) from people attempting to apply these.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Just an update. I called and got nowhere. At first they said they could apply them if there was space available and there was but then during that process (which included me waiting for about 20 minutes), they realized their mistake and shut me down.

I then tried to use them on a flight I'm taking with my wife and kid flying on a companion pass. Again got pretty far along before the agent realized you can't use them with companion tickets (I didn't know that either).

Finally, I emailed Delta today and received a pretty quick response saying that they would not extend my certs by 3 months as I had requested. Disappointing to say the least.

I also didn't realize you can transfer them to others anymore. I have to say, I generally keep up with the program but the amount of changes they make to these things makes it pretty hard to know exactly what you have unless you read the terms each time. A little frustrating as a premium traveler and the loss of those two GUCs means I will probably switch to BA sooner rather than later (I'm moving to London in a few months).

In positive news, I was able to use my 2015 GUCs immediately to upgrade my trip to and from London in a couple weeks
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:27 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by javabytes

Yes, multiple times. No issue. (and relatively common knowledge, with regard to GUCs, even though the terms&conditions say otherwise)
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by eternalX
I also didn't realize you can transfer them to others anymore.
This is not a change. SWUs were not transferable, and neither were PMUs (which predated the DL/NW merger).
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lamont2718
This is not a change. SWUs were not transferable, and neither were PMUs (which predated the DL/NW merger).
You can transfer old SWUs or GUCs/RUCs to a single companion traveling with you, officially on the same PNR but I don't think that was always enforced.

AFAIK the rule for any sort of companion upgrade has always been that neither the elite nor the companion can be flying on an award ticket or using pay with miles. Moreover, SWUs and GUCs/RUCs were never allowed to be applied to award tickets.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:54 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by lamont2718
You can use GUCs for a companion on the same flight (that you are also on), which was also the case with SWUs.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Yes, multiple times. No issue. (and relatively common knowledge, with regard to GUCs, even though the terms&conditions say otherwise)
Multiple times? How many GUCs do you have and how often do you attempt this risky move?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xeno
Multiple times? How many GUCs do you have and how often do you attempt this risky move?
I think the agent got mine to go through too but then when she went to reissue the ticket, the reissue desk caught it. Thought I was in the clear!

And good points on the transferability. I used to fly UA and there were no rules there so maybe I'm confusing the two :\

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.