Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:09 am

There isn't anything wrong with asking...as long as you're not trying to give someone a middle for an aisle or window. There is no way for the asker to know if you have a window or aisle preference...it could have been the last seat available, could have been an equipment swap, IROP, SDC, etc. The person asking doesn't have a way of knowing that you have personally selected this exact seat several months ago and have watched like a hawk, and you feel ownership and protective of the seat, like it's your newest family member.

If both parties have some decency and common respect for other humans it should be more than a 15 second interaction if declined, or a 90 second interaction if accepted....and if you can't be bothered to listen to a request from another human for 15-90 seconds then I feel bad for you.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:38 am

My two cents ….. I don’t mind being asked to swap locations to an equivalent or better seat. However, please don’t ask (and certainly don’t demand!) that I move while there are people still boarding the plane and trying get past to the seats further back. I’m not going to even consider it until the aisle is clear. I have been one of those people waiting behind in line as a couple of people in C+ did their location negotiation, packed up their stuff, and swapped locations. Sorry, I won’t inconvenience others and delay boarding to do an immediate swap just because someone can’t be separated from their spouse/SO for an extra five minutes
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by kop84
...you have personally selected this exact seat several months ago and have watched like a hawk, and you feel ownership and protective of the seat, like it's your newest family member.
I cannot telling you just how hard I laugh when reading that!

I may consider a switch...just do not offer me bulkhead seat! Not enough space for stretching the legs on many airlines, and I like having the laptop with me at all times.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Had a first last night, the passenger had the FA ask me to swap 4B for 2D. About five minutes after I was seated an FA asked me if I would switch 2D. The daughter of the guy sitting in 4A was sitting in 2D and they wanted to sit.

I told the FA I get up about once an hour and picked an aisle seat for that reason and it was also an odd number flight and they followed the rule of meal orders from the back of the plane that would mean I would miss out on my meal choice.

I was feeling a little guilty thinking the guy wouldn't be able to sit with his young daughter and was also worried if she was young enough I might get forced to move and told the FA that if 2C would take 2D I would take 2C but wanted her to do my meal choice before there's and she said not a problem.

Apparently 2C didn't agree to it and it turns out my seat mate was in his 60s and his daughter looked like she was in her 40s. He slept the entire flight anyway.

Not sure why the FA asked instead of him. Another weird thing was when the upgrade went through and I changed seats 4A was already taken. Since Delta is clearing two people at the same time now (or they were both on paid first class tickets) why didn't their system sit them together when the upgrade cleared or if it seated them separately he should have moved seats as soon as the upgrade cleared unless the original 4A did a SDC and they were a gate upgrade.
I also like to get up about every hour or so for bathroom breaks and to stretch my legs. I always try to get an aisle seat if I can. I suspect there are many other people like yourself that don't want to swap.

I am married and lately travel in coach more than business or first. I try to get planes with a 2-3-2 coach configuration. If we end up on a 3-4-3, I get both of us aisle seats so we can get up when we want.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sure but very few people ask politely and accept no for an answer.

Even what begins as a polite request often turns into a demand to know why the person won't switch seats, or nasty comments about all seats arriving at the same time and being all the same, or how some people are just so inconsiderate of others
Perhaps, but that sounds more like a personal problem rather than a problem with seat swapping in general.

Do you really think the rude person you described is going to stop asking people to swap just because it might upset someone?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: delta dm
I actually witnessed yesterday out in the wild someone departing MSP actually ask to trade his aisle for a window to sit next his son in first class and guess what because he offered a better seat it was accepted. Novel idea. ^
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:50 am

For all you know the person in 24C is afraid of prime numbers. The seats might be no different for you, but the other person has the right to their own opinion on this and is absolutely not obligated to give you an explanation. We all have the right to define same or better in our own way, without apology.
For most people 23C, 24C, 25C is irrelevant. If it isn't to you it is possible to say "no, thank you" and move on with your life.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dzflyer
I actually witnessed yesterday out in the wild someone departing MSP actually ask to trade his aisle for a window to sit next his son in first class and guess what because he offered a better seat it was accepted. Novel idea. ^
I've posted this before. It's happened to me twice. The parent asks if I'll switch F seats with the kid, I agree and the kid doesn't want to switch. The first time the mother was hurt. She went on about paying for her young adult daughter to sit in F so that they could spend the time together. Had she known she would have left the kid in coach. The daughter was guilted into switching. The second time, it was a high school aged kid who obviously wanted to feel a little independent. He said something like, "I don't need to sit next to my mommy." We did not switch, he seemed very happy to be sitting by himself like an adult and his mother and I had a lovely conversation during the flight. I was in the aisle seat. He was a row behind on the other side. The mom did ask me to look back at him a few times during the flight to make sure he was doing well.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Last night JFk - LHR was only about 40% full, so people were switching and swapping all over the place to arrange to sit in rows with no one else in them. During boarding, one such woman let the FA know she was ill and asked if she could sit in the second row of C+ seats in the middle of the 767 (row of 3) which was empty at the time, presumably so she "wouldn't get anyone else sick." The FA said "You can, but if someone with a confirmed seat is sitting there, you'll have to move." Sure enough, a passenger boarded and attempted to sit in his assigned C+ seat in the row she had commandeered. She said to him "oh, the FA said I could sit here. Just so you know, i have the stomach flu, so I'm not sure if you want to sit next to me...There are plenty of exit rows free a few rows back" to which the passanger who was trying to claim his rightful seat replied "they don't recline all they way..." He eventually ended up moving, but I felt so bad for him! I don't know where this woman was originally sitting (based on her convo with the FA about needing to move if someone had a reservation to sit in that row, I would guess Y), but it sounded to me like she moved from Y to W and tried to kick this guy out of his seat! Once we took off I looked around and there were PLENTY of empty rows in Y, so I'm not sure why she didn't offer to move since the passenger who had booked his seat in advance surely didn't look like he wanted to.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by SFCav
Last night JFk - LHR was only about 40% full, so people were switching and swapping all over the place to arrange to sit in rows with no one else in them. During boarding, one such woman let the FA know she was ill and asked if she could sit in the second row of C+ seats in the middle of the 767 (row of 3) which was empty at the time, presumably so she "wouldn't get anyone else sick." The FA said "You can, but if someone with a confirmed seat is sitting there, you'll have to move." Sure enough, a passenger boarded and attempted to sit in his assigned C+ seat in the row she had commandeered. She said to him "oh, the FA said I could sit here. Just so you know, i have the stomach flu, so I'm not sure if you want to sit next to me...There are plenty of exit rows free a few rows back" to which the passanger who was trying to claim his rightful seat replied "they don't recline all they way..." He eventually ended up moving, but I felt so bad for him! I don't know where this woman was originally sitting (based on her convo with the FA about needing to move if someone had a reservation to sit in that row, I would guess Y), but it sounded to me like she moved from Y to W and tried to kick this guy out of his seat! Once we took off I looked around and there were PLENTY of empty rows in Y, so I'm not sure why she didn't offer to move since the passenger who had booked his seat in advance surely didn't look like he wanted to.
I would have informed said passenger and said FA of the situation. YMMV
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Gold, Marriott LT Plat
If its a true "like for like" swap (FC window for FC window, Comfort Aisle for Comfort Aisle etc) and I am traveling alone, I will swap 9 times out of 10. Not a big deal to me and feels good to help someone else out. That's assuming they ask me nicely after I have boarded and taken my seat!

It does bother me though that some people think they can just force/bully/command/pressure someone else into changing seats.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by SFCav
I'm surprised the FA even allowed it. Usually they tell the passenger if they want to sit in C+ they have to pay the additional fee.

I would have been furious if I were the passenger in C+ seeing he either was a PM+ or paid to be up there. I would have also checked the app and if it was showing the entire row empty said something to the FA that the entire row was to be empty.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Rossp1
It does bother me though that some people think they can just force/bully/command/pressure someone else into changing seats.
going on 5 years ago, but isn't that (or the aggrieved individual's "waaaaaah") what started this thread ?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I'm on a roll. Happened to me again. This time on a flight yesterday between ATL and MEM. I missed the upgrade and was 1 of 45 for 0 seats. (Irrelevant, I know -- but, man, are there a lot of medallions out there.) I waited to board last just to make sure first had boarded full (you never know!), so I was one of the last few people on the plane.

I had opted out of the C+ upgrade because only middles were available when I booked, so I had the exit row -- 25E on an MD88. I get back there and someone is already settled in my seat, headphones on, eyes closed.

(Why is this? Do seat poachers think that if they just put on headphones and pretend to be asleep they can just do whatever they want or the rightful owner of the seat will just go away so as not to disturb their blissful slumber. But I digress...)

I tapped him on the leg to "wake him up" and let him know that he had my seat. He responded immediately with a "oh, yeah, I've got 24E right there." So in my opinion, he knew exactly what he had done/was doing. Was a little curt for my taste, and I briefly considered saying "no, I would like my original seat" just to make a point. However, we were already delayed, it's only a 45 min. flight, and given that they were both exit windows on the 2 seat side, I said no problem and took 24E. No difference, right?

So I'm sitting there during the flight, and it just kind of irritates me that (again, IMO) the guy just did it on purpose with no regard for anyone else. But then I second guess myself and try to give him the benefit of the doubt --- maybe it was an honest mistake. What did he have to gain from it? There's no difference in the seats, and he didn't appear to know the person next to him.

Then it hit me: 25E reclines and 24E doesn't.

I don't usually recline, especially on flights that short, so in the end it really made no actual difference to me. But now that I had a motive, I'm kicking myself for not making him move. Hell, I thought about getting up and making him move during flight out of spite. But that would have probably been even more of an a**hole move than what he did -- or it at least would have appeared to the other passengers that way.

If I had thought of the recline aspect of it at the time I boarded, I would have absolutely made him move.

Some people are such entitled jerks it simply baffles me.

Rant over.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Sure but very few people ask politely and accept no for an answer.

Even what begins as a polite request often turns into a demand to know why the person won't switch seats...
This, exactly.

...or nasty comments about all seats arriving at the same time and being all the same...
"Then I guess it shouldn't matter to you, and if all seats are the same then your original seat should suit you just fine."

...or how some people are just so inconsiderate of others, or .....
"You mean like by rudely trying to bully them into a switch they don't want?"

. . . . .

I don't mind a polite ask, and sometimes I will switch, but if I don't want to and I've said no, then no amount of petulant nagging is going to change my mind.

O/H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.