Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One: The Definitive Thread for Delta's International Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One: The Definitive Thread for Delta's International Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Zeeb
I wonder if it'll backfire when expense reports get audited and "Delta One" sounds too much like first class rather than business class.
Just how stupid do FTers think auditors are? This a complete non-issue that exists only in the fevered dreams of FTers.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Naming cabins with branded terms is a suckers marketing gimmick and no more. Much simpler if carriers stuck to the basics, e.g. F, J and Y or maybe PE for those with 4-class service.

Every time you change the menu color or the size of the soup bowl, you do not need to change the name of the cabin.

This all started with names for "Economy" and "Coach" which did not make them seem second, third or fourth rate, e.g. "main cabin".
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I wonder how much DL spent on the external marketing/branding company who came up with this... or did they do it all on their own with fresh out of college marketing majors?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
So maybe I am just dense, but I am still confused about business vs delta one. Thinking of going to south america. I look at the upgrade chart. It says complimentary upgrades except delta one. So, if the flight isn't delta one, I can get the upgrade. If it is, I can't. How the heck can I tell the difference?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:51 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Flew SEA-AMS friday, on a 333. New seat covers in place. First thing I noticed/missed: the little bag of almonds and cranberries (the yellow bag, forgot the name). Thought we might get warm nuts instead, but none of that.

Plane came in late, and cleaning was done very poorly: one guy a couple of seats in front of me pulled about 8 wrappers and 2 empty water bottles from his seating area.

Purser did rounds distributing the menus and made the effort to take orders from the Diamonds first to ensure choice availability. Nice.

Meal service nothing special/different. Steak was cooked properly, pink middle.

Midflight snack basket in galley did not notice anything new in there.

Arrival meal was ok, except for the sausages.

Still Tumi kit, Mrs B&J will be happy about that.

All in all little difference to the BE product, as someone said it's mostly marketing and labelling. As long as I can lay flat and eat a decent meal, I do not really care what they call it.
On the same flight on Sunday. No new seat covers on my A330-300. My observations were the same, menu identical to previous BusinessElite with new wines.

FWIW, upgraded "super-low" fare at time of booking (8 days prior) with a GUC. (fare was around $300'ish for the SEA-AMS segment).
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Purser did rounds distributing the menus and made the effort to take orders from the Diamonds first to ensure choice availability. Nice.
I disagree with this practice. Since you pay to be up front on these flights preference should not be given to someone who may be on a GUC or OptUp. I can understand this practice on domestic F where most of the people up front may be on UGs.

It's ok to recognize medallion status, but if you paid to be in that cabin you should not be second to someone just because of status.

Now I have seen FA's skip over non-revs and do their orders last, and I'm fine with that. Bottom line if you paid to be up front you should be treated as such.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
I disagree with this practice. Since you pay to be up front on these flights preference should not be given to someone who may be on a GUC or OptUp. I can understand this practice on domestic F where most of the people up front may be on UGs.

It's ok to recognize medallion status, but if you paid to be in that cabin you should not be second to someone just because of status.

Now I have seen FA's skip over non-revs and do their orders last, and I'm fine with that. Bottom line if you paid to be up front you should be treated as such.
100% agree. Paid J > Upgraded J any day. Now if it's a DM on a paid J ticket, that's another story.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DCAproducer

TOTALLY agree....while instruments are a form of currency, cash is king.

Anyone paying full boat should be prioritized above instrument upgrades.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by landeej
Yeap - here's the main thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ess-class.html

General consensus so far is that it's a lot of dollars spent on marketing which should have gone towards hard product.
Did Delta ever say it was anything, but a re-branding? AFAIK it was just a rebrand.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I must admit I did not understand this whole thing (I'm a little slow).......were they improving the product so were rebranding or were they rebranding to lower the expectations vs. a world-class business class? I waited with baited breath to find out myself on Sunday, and now the verdict is in - no change. Nada.

I understand they can't do all the new seat covers at once, so no big deal.

Same exact menu I had the last time. But.....new printed menus. Meal OK. Not good, not bad. The same.

Bagged nuts. Wow. No change there.

Shrimp app - not very good. Same thing I had last time.

Beet salad with veggie soup. OK...the same.

Tenderloin with mashed potatoes and veggies. Pretty good. The same.

Bread not heated? That's new isn't it?

Dessert was the same. Good.

Maybe the wine list was different, not sure. It was good (a white from Chile).

Service was the same. OK. Not great, not bad. The same.

They did board DM's in Y with DL One. I thought that was nice but I hope I am never the recipient of this kind gesture.

They should have spent the menu $$ on upgrading the appetizer or something.

Now that I understand DL One I seek to understand the Y changes, I don't get that either.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:31 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This has been my concern since I first heard of D1, but others have shouted me down that the CO/UA BusinessFirst hasn't caused problems for them.
I would think Virgin Atlantic's "Upper Class" could be an even bigger problem but likewise they seem to have made that work over the years.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Did Delta ever say it was anything, but a re-branding? AFAIK it was just a rebrand.
Just a rebrand. The only product change offered was new seat covers.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Don't forget Grey Goose vodka in D1!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Don't forget Grey Goose vodka in D1!
Right. And JD Single Barrel.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:54 pm

Upper Class VA Vs DL BE or whatever it's called now.

Checked prices for June using Matrix for LAS - LGW RT in UC\BE. Best fare booking on VA $4835, SAME SEAT on Delta (Code share) $12710. Can this be true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.