Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2-Months into new Skymiles Program, Depression Sets In

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2-Months into new Skymiles Program, Depression Sets In

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: AADULtArer
as a businessman, which I assume the vast majority on here are as well,
IF that were true, none of us would have to compete very hard. There are a lot of non-business types on FT.

I've flown countless flights (domestic/intl) in economy and flying is still the best thing ever.

You're participating in the miracle of flight. And an economy seat is perfectly fine unless you're super tall or super large.

Status gives you things which you can basically pay for if you want - want check your bag, have some alcohol or food on board, entertainment options? Just pay for them a la carte instead of hoping for status.

In the end, you're still able to do a journey in a few hours on a nice cushioned seat. That is the opposite of "sucking". Its awesome!
It sucks being away from home, but the process is still miraculous, I agree. I hope you are in direct contact with customers for your business, since your kind of positive outlook is infectious on customers.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MLCJ
as a businessman, which I assume the vast majority on here are as well, it blows my mind when people on here gripe about a business..
Well I hope you are not in any type of purchasing function or have any P&L responsibility as a "businessman". There are indeed many business people here on FT and the good ones (the folks I would hire) are the individuals who try to get the most for EVERY PENNY they spend of the company/clients’ money. If you can't understand that then perhaps you should ask yourself who's interest YOU are looking out for by giving up ANY value without a fight.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by marcworld
Well, you spent $700 + tax (so probably $800) on a roundtrip ticket. Which is on the high range of fares.
Looks like the poster paid about 18c/mile flown, which is right in line with Delta's average (17 cents per revenue passenger mile). So, not on the high range of fares at all.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by yohanson
I've earned 31,757 RDMs so far this year flying. Last year I would have earned 53,892 for the same amount of flying. The biggest hit I've taken though, is the redemption amounts. I can't find an award under 40K for for the route I normally use miles on within 3 weeks of departure.
Delta seems to have kicked in a new rule that the lowest redemption prices are blacked out, within 3 weeks of departure, regardless of availability.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:57 am

In some ways, I may be the target customer for the new rules - I'm a time-sensitive (rather than price-sensitive), high-frequency, short route frequent flyer. I travel nearly every week, and about 50% of my travel is MCO-ATL + another 25% East Coast, the rest mid/long-range domestic travel; most of my trips are daytrips or overnighters to get to a specific meeting.

With the new system, I've noticed my MCO-ATL trips yield better point totals than, for example, my recent MCO-MSP N/S or MCO-ATL-DFW trip. Where I used to make PM on segments, I'll now likely make it on points.

The nuance for me is that, as an MCO flyer, I have numerous choices for N/S flights. On my longer flights when I have a bit more flexibility on time options, I'm more likely to choose DL, in part because I can bulk up my MQMs to give me the comfort and flexibility on my short-haul trips. With the new system and the devaluation of those mid/long-range trips, it actually gives me less incentive to fly DL on those trips. In the end, the system will likely cause me to fly DL less often without that incentive.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssk1127
With the new system, I've noticed my MCO-ATL trips yield better point totals than, for example, my recent MCO-MSP N/S or MCO-ATL-DFW trip. Where I used to make PM on segments, I'll now likely make it on points.
I think you are confused. MQM's are still based on miles flown, not dollars spent. Why would the new redeemable mileage earning changes impact how you earn your DL status??
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AADULtArer
the good ones (the folks I would hire) are the individuals who try to get the most for EVERY PENNY they spend of the company/clients’ money.
Please keep hiring these, and Ill keep hiring the ones who make the most money for the client, and thus for us.

Looks like the poster paid about 18c/mile flown, which is right in line with Delta's average (17 cents per revenue passenger mile). So, not on the high range of fares at all.
18 cpm is a fairly HVF, even if it is near the average. There are a lot of very low cpm fliers. This is business DL wants.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Please keep hiring these, and Ill keep hiring the ones who make the most money for the client, and thus for us.
Huh? Keep telling yourself paying more and getting less/the same is in the customers interest..
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 360, Qatar Plat, Etihad Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Well I hope you are not in any type of purchasing function or have any P&L responsibility as a "businessman". There are indeed many business people here on FT and the good ones (the folks I would hire) are the individuals who try to get the most for EVERY PENNY they spend of the company/clients’ money. If you can't understand that then perhaps you should ask yourself who's interest YOU are looking out for by giving up ANY value without a fight.
I'm the type of businessman that owns my company and takes care of my employees. Maybe you should rethink yours if you're having to get the most out of EVERY PENNY...
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MLCJ
I'm the type of businessman that owns my company and takes care of my employees. Maybe you should rethink yours if you're having to get the most out of EVERY PENNY...
Getting the most out of every penny IS being good to your employees. It means they will have a sustainable well run business that can continue to pay mortgages and put kids through school for many years to come.

I am not sure how getting less for the same or more money is good for your employees?? Also, why is this, in your own words, the right move for Delta but not your own business? Anyway, like any business owner/sr exec fiduciary responsibility is a critical part of the job at least in my opinion.

BTW, I could be a client and I am NOT ok with my vendors changing rules and giving me less for more without a whole bunch of very good reasons…but that is just me.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Getting the most out of every penny IS being good to your employees. It means they will have a sustainable well run business that can continue to pay mortgages and put kids through school for many years to come.
What happens if your employees that you're thinking years ahead for jump ship because they don't feel compensated enough? From my experience, people who are asked to travel a lot for work are quick to look elsewhere if they feel the sacrifice they are making by spending half of their lives on the road is overlooked. I've been on projects which asked people to stay in hotels that cost $60 or less and to not charge in weekend hours and I'd estimate at least 1/3 out of 70-80 people quit by the end of it.

I think the right answer is in the middle. You need to develop a model that is keeping your business healthy but if doing that requires squeezing pennies to the point where a talented employee will look elsewhere, that's a problem too.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKABrownBear
What happens if your employees that you're thinking years ahead for jump ship because they don't feel compensated enough? From my experience, people who are asked to travel a lot for work are quick to look elsewhere if they feel the sacrifice they are making by spending half of their lives on the road is overlooked. I've been on projects which asked people to stay in hotels that cost $60 or less and to not charge in weekend hours and I'd estimate at least 1/3 out of 70-80 people quit by the end of it.

I think the right answer is in the middle. You need to develop a model that is keeping your business healthy but if doing that requires squeezing pennies to the point where a talented employee will look elsewhere, that's a problem too.
I am doing this for my employees. Under the Delta program you are forced to pay a premium to get the same miles you can get on a number of airlines regardless of fare (which my employees keep and enjoy). That said I am not going to PURPOSLEY pay more so they can have them. The answer for me is simple: Book on AA and get them (for now anyway) at the same rate no matter what the fare AND they can actually redeem them (and know what the cost is).
Delta has made paying top price the GOAL of its FF program. I wish to get the most for my corporate spend and also not spend for the sake of spending. I honestly do not get any of these responses...
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Huge hit for me as PM

MQM - 15,952
MQD - 2,098

New way - 18,882 Sky miles
Old way - 31,904 Sky miles

And with Delta's significantly higher fees over US/AA and corporate policy, it only makes sense for me to move. Now I can do direct flights out of MIA on AA when necessary.
Until this year, I had struggled with the decision, especially since Delta is one of my customers. This year, they made it an easy decision.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I honestly do not get any of these responses...
You don't get that other people may have different opinions than you do?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:12 am

OK With Moi

Originally Posted by saturnsk
It's Official... after reviewing my Skymiles account last year vs this year, I've basically accumulated 33% less Skymiles for the same level of travel. And that is for the Diamond Medallion 11mi/$.... hate to wonder how bad it is for the SM/DM/PM's out there.

Not getting any better looking at my JFK-SEA-HKG flight in April, and realizing it is only going to yield ~12k Skymiles, when in the past it was ~18k

FWIW, I think I'm just going into non-loyalty mode from this year onward and shopping around for the best price. No sense in providing any loyalty, when it means nothing anymore.
The new program is fine with me. On some short trips, say to DCA and back, I actually get more miles/MQMs than I did on the previous program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.