FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   2-Months into new Skymiles Program, Depression Sets In (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1658527-2-months-into-new-skymiles-program-depression-sets.html)

saturnsk Feb 27, 2015 8:35 am

2-Months into new Skymiles Program, Depression Sets In

It's Official... after reviewing my Skymiles account last year vs this year, I've basically accumulated 33% less Skymiles for the same level of travel. And that is for the Diamond Medallion 11mi/$.... hate to wonder how bad it is for the SM/DM/PM's out there.

Not getting any better looking at my JFK-SEA-HKG flight in April, and realizing it is only going to yield ~12k Skymiles, when in the past it was ~18k

FWIW, I think I'm just going into non-loyalty mode from this year onward and shopping around for the best price. No sense in providing any loyalty, when it means nothing anymore.

DLdweeb Feb 27, 2015 8:38 am

Sorry to hear of your angst.

Originally Posted by saturnsk (Post 24424694)
FWIW, I think I'm just going into non-loyalty mode from this year onward and shopping around for the best price. No sense in providing any loyalty, when it means nothing anymore.

This is a very sensible course of action.

levman Feb 27, 2015 9:08 am

Its been a mixed bag for me. I just finished a cross country trip that netted me half the miles it used to ... on the other hand, I've had some short hops that got me almost double the miles it used to. Overall, I think I am pretty much even steven so far ... but I still like the old way better. Particularly as I'm eyeing an Asia trip later this year that will likely (hopefully, given the implications) net me half the miles it would have otherwise.

LaserSailor Feb 27, 2015 9:15 am

It is depressing to see how many, across all airlines, attach life worth to their status in FF programs. Seriously depressing. With all the travel I do, I still find my most rewarding time with my kids, even the teens.:D:D:D

Ben and Jerry Feb 27, 2015 9:50 am

Flying sucks, period. Having some status just (slightly) softens the aggravation, or at least it used to. These days having any status with an airline seems to cause more irritation/frustration due to the inconsistency of the policies applied, and the consistent attempts to screw you over.

DCAproducer Feb 27, 2015 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry (Post 24425142)
Flying sucks, period. Having some status just (slightly) softens the aggravation, or at least it used to. These days having any status with an airline seems to cause more irritation/frustration due to the inconsistency of the policies applied, and the consistent attempts to screw you over.

I agree with this. While status isn't what it used to be we still get a lot of perks that the average flier does't.

1- Free bags. PM/DM get three bags domestically up to 70lbs. This is the most generous of all of the major US airlines. I regularly check heavy pelican cases for work and I don't pay a penny. I've had employees travel SW, UA and US and pay over $100 each way for these oversized, overweight bags.

2- Priority boarding/checkin/security. Security can be hit or miss, but the SP lanes at checkin and boarding are a huge help even if half the plane is boarding with you. Look at the people who board last and how frustrated they always look. At my home airport (DCA) the SP checkin lane is a huge time saver when I have a 7am flight and need to check bags.

3- Customer Service. Try calling and getting ahold of someone fast when you have an issue. Medallion line, with few exceptions, is usually pretty good.

4- EC+ for free. There are only so many seats in F, so EC+ with the free drinks and "upgraded" snacks is a good second option.

5- International Skyteam lounge access for GM and up.

6- Preferred seats! Try booking a flight without status and see what c#$py seats you are allowed to select. At least other airlines let you pay for a better seat.

At the end of the day we'll always want more and complain when something is taken away. (I'm not saying that's good or bad) In the end, we still get many perks the average joe doesn't.

saturnsk Feb 28, 2015 8:55 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer (Post 24425323)
I agree with this. While status isn't what it used to be we still get a lot of perks that the average flier does't.

1- Free bags. PM/DM get three bags domestically up to 70lbs. This is the most generous of all of the major US airlines. I regularly check heavy pelican cases for work and I don't pay a penny. I've had employees travel SW, UA and US and pay over $100 each way for these oversized, overweight bags.

2- Priority boarding/checkin/security. Security can be hit or miss, but the SP lanes at checkin and boarding are a huge help even if half the plane is boarding with you. Look at the people who board last and how frustrated they always look. At my home airport (DCA) the SP checkin lane is a huge time saver when I have a 7am flight and need to check bags.

3- Customer Service. Try calling and getting ahold of someone fast when you have an issue. Medallion line, with few exceptions, is usually pretty good.

4- EC+ for free. There are only so many seats in F, so EC+ with the free drinks and "upgraded" snacks is a good second option.

5- International Skyteam lounge access for GM and up.

6- Preferred seats! Try booking a flight without status and see what c#$py seats you are allowed to select. At least other airlines let you pay for a better seat.

At the end of the day we'll always want more and complain when something is taken away. (I'm not saying that's good or bad) In the end, we still get many perks the average joe doesn't.

You hit it... and if/when you travel transcontinental east or west, those Systemwide Upgrades do make a huge difference if your company doesn't pay for Business Class. UA's SWU's saved my mind running EWR-HKG 1week/month for a year.

bubbashow Feb 28, 2015 9:29 am

DEPRESSION!?!!?? Over an airline?

I am so sorry for anyone that rates their business relationship with another business so heavily that it causes depression. IT'S A FREAKING AIRLINE!

I don't think frequent flyer miles or status even rank in the top 200 on the list of things defining my self worth.

yohanson Feb 28, 2015 9:51 am

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ccomplishment/

DIR_Cherokee Feb 28, 2015 9:58 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 24430179)

I am so sorry for anyone that rates their business relationship with another business so heavily that it causes depression. IT'S A FREAKING AIRLINE!

I don't think frequent flyer miles or status even rank in the top 200 on the list of things defining my self worth.

I've been able to take my family of four on our annual vacation for around 120,000 miles the past several years thanks to my relationship with Delta and the skymiles it has provided each year. I travel short trips several times a month, but due to corporate travel policy, have to buy my tickets far enough out that this year's changes are a decided negative for me. This year I will be lucky to net 3/4 the amount I have previously, so I would consider it a disappointment to have to decide which kid I'm leaving at home this time. Maybe I can use that as incentive for them to get better grades.

Regardless, I think it's safe to assume OP's use of 'depression' was hyperbole. Just like I assume you were using hyperbole in your response... if you actually have 200 things you care about more than delta and its frequent flyer program does that mean there are 200 other message boards out there that you read and comment in, even more passionately than you comment about things around here, that you have to somehow work into your day?

pragakhan Feb 28, 2015 10:19 am

Loyalty is more than what you get in return, for me it is knowing the equipment, airports, policies and what to expect when flying delta.

If I chose an agnostic approach I would have to experience every terminal whatever airline-X flies to. The luggage, check in and boarding process, what if any snacks/beverages I am offered, etc..

I find comfort in 'the same' for that reason I stick to the same hotel chain and car rental chain and would so even if loyalty programs ceased to exist.

For the same reason I shop at the same stores, eat at the same restaurants and buy the same cars. Traveling is such a small fraction of my time and effort, it just doesn't scream to me 'try something new!'. I like my seats and my bed.

3Cforme Feb 28, 2015 12:11 pm

The 2015 earnings rates (by status) were disclosed when revenue-based earnings were announced, now fully a year ago.

http://news.delta.com/2014-02-26-Del...mption-Options

DL had the new program/'14 program earnings comparison tool up for months, too. The OP has had plenty of time to figure out effects given his fares v. distances. If that changes the value proposition and his choice of carrier away from DL, so be it.

yohanson Feb 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 24430874)
The 2015 earnings rates (by status) were disclosed when revenue-based earnings were announced, now fully a year ago.

http://news.delta.com/2014-02-26-Del...mption-Options

DL had the new program/'14 program earnings comparison tool up for months, too. The OP has had plenty of time to figure out effects given his fares v. distances. If that changes the value proposition and his choice of carrier away from DL, so be it.

Perhaps the OPs fares have changed. Mine certainly have. Nearly all of my flights this year have been sub $300 so far. That is extremely unusual for me.

BigDawg23 Feb 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by saturnsk (Post 24424694)
It's Official... after reviewing my Skymiles account last year vs this year, I've basically accumulated 33% less Skymiles for the same level of travel. And that is for the Diamond Medallion 11mi/$.... hate to wonder how bad it is for the SM/DM/PM's out there.

Not getting any better looking at my JFK-SEA-HKG flight in April, and realizing it is only going to yield ~12k Skymiles, when in the past it was ~18k

I am them oppitsite of you as a lowly silver. I fly short higher price routes. Instead of 1250 miles round trip now gets me 6258 towards award.

In 2014 I had $13,424 MQD's but just 39K MQM. I do understand the frustration of members not getting effected by the changes.

GRALISTAIR Feb 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 24430179)

Sad - unless of course OP was using hyperbole.