Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How Did I Jump To the Head of the First Class Queue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

I'm a lame-duck GM. I'll be reverting to FO soon.

I was booked PIT-DTW-MSP; leaving PIT at 1:30pm, 41 minute layover, arriving MSP at 4:30pm.

Upon arriving at PIT at Noon, I found out that the PIT-DTW leg was delayed 50 minutes, thus I would miss my connection. DL had already rebooked me on a PIT-MSP non-stop, leaving at 5pm, arriving at 6:30pm.

I accepted my fate, had lunch at Friday's, and worked on the laptop.

At 1pm I checked the status of my 5pm flight, and noted that my original 1:30pm flight was now back on schedule. I hurried to the gate and asked to revert back to my original itinerary.

The GA said that it would not be a problem. He upgraded me to First Class on the PIT-DTW leg, but said that I had lost my EC seat on the DTW-MSP leg; would I mind a window seat in the mid-plane (757) exit row? I accepted.

Upon arrival at the gate in DTW, I found that I was #1 on an upgrade list of 60+ people, with 5 empty FC seats..

How did that happen? Does the GA in PIT have a magic button that sends "mildly inconvenienced" GMs to the head of a Medallion-Heavy upgrade list?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I believe that IRROPs can make magic happen on the upgrade list. Ive experienced it in the past, even when the IRROP doesn't really delay me.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:14 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
The GA probably rebook you into Y class thus bumping you up to number one on the upgrade list..
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Many times during IRROP the only ticket/seat available will be Y on your alternative flight. Once you are book into that fare you rise to the top.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:42 am
k2

Maybe they thought you were a nonrev.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:49 am

You were rebooked in Y. Had it happen many times; in fact, particularly when I've had a particular hardship like yours in losing a good seat, I ask them if they put me in Y and if not, ask them if it is possible. Usually works.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Don't ask. Just take the upgrade and walk away slowly!
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Just make sure those PM's and DM's see your GM tag as they walk back to Y. There will be a guaranteed thread about it about shenanigans.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bretthexum
Just make sure those PM's and DM's see your GM tag as they walk back to Y. There will be a guaranteed thread about it about shenanigans.
This is exactly what happened to me during the storm in NY on Monday. My original X fare flight was cancelled and I got rebooked on one of the few ATL-LGA flights that wasn't cancelled, but on a Y fare. When I got to the gate I saw I was 1/45 on the upgrade list for 1 seat and got it, although they made me wait until the very last second given all the displaced passengers making changes due to IRROPS.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Curious, do you get the 50% MQM bonus when they rebook you into Y?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
This is exactly what happened to me during the storm in NY on Monday. My original X fare flight was cancelled and I got rebooked on one of the few ATL-LGA flights that wasn't cancelled, but on a Y fare. When I got to the gate I saw I was 1/45 on the upgrade list for 1 seat and got it, although they made me wait until the very last second given all the displaced passengers making changes due to IRROPS.
Yeah it's happened to me once too. Bumped to #1 on an upgrade list of about 55. Not sure if it is worth the extra 3 hour delay though lol
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
Curious, do you get the 50% MQM bonus when they rebook you into Y?
Yep.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
+1. When they call F boarding, shout "clear the way, upgraded Gold coming through!"
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mfdesquire
Yep.
This has happend to me twice in 2015 already

Answer...Not always- i was also rebooked into Y and got an upgrade as an FO- and was excited for the 50% MQM bonus. Alas the mileage was paid based on my original non-Y fare with no bomus

Other time i did get the bonus on the rebook - original fare was T
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Because GM's never actually buy F tickets, right?!

Last edited by SamuelS; Feb 5, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.