Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading on DL 611 LAX-HNL 767 FB

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingsux
i take this flight once a month. 611 out on Monday and 612 back on a Wednesday typically. I had a 100% hit rate in 2014.
That's awesome - did you book on lower fare codes by chance? Basically I'll be doing this 100% on V fares on 611 on Mon or Wed with 612 back on Tues to Thurs.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why did the OP put "FB" at the end of the thread title? I thought this would be a thread about a FlyingBlue elite (AF/KLM) trying to get an upgrade to Hawaii.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: DL PM SPG Gold HY Plat
Willing to bet Flat Bed seats
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ab_initio
Has anyone had success with a comp medallion upgrade on this flight? It departs early enough (8:30am PST) that I think I should have a really good shot as a DM even on a cheapo X fare...basically just thinking of rolling the dice without having to burn a RUC or 15k miles (If I buy a K+ fare of course).

Would really appreciate any results/recent experiences regarding the comp upgrade on this route esp. with respect to days of the week (Wed vs. Sat, etc.). I know it's not full BE with the Westin bedding...I had the 757s to HNL so an upgrade here would be a nice change! =)

ab
Had it twice on cheapo fares, at the window. One was a Saturday am (mileage run, same day back, all segments upgraded within the window). nice flight.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chickenwing11
Willing to bet Flat Bed seats
You are correct indeed!

OP
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
This is one of the easiest HI flights to upgrade--lots of seats, and the early departure time means very few connecting passengers; mostly an O&D flight.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Erasmus
This is one of the easiest HI flights to upgrade--lots of seats, and the early departure time means very few connecting passengers; mostly an O&D flight.
Do you think my companion (no status) stands a chance on the companion upgrade? I imagine one proxy would be the relative # of NRSAs up front, as companions would be upgraded before them.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:41 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Has anyone had success with a comp medallion upgrade on this flight? It departs early enough (8:30am PST) that I think I should have a really good shot as a DM even on a cheapo X fare...basically just thinking of rolling the dice without having to burn a RUC or 15k miles (If I buy a K+ fare of course).

Would really appreciate any results/recent experiences regarding the comp upgrade on this route esp. with respect to days of the week (Wed vs. Sat, etc.). I know it's not full BE with the Westin bedding...I had the 757s to HNL so an upgrade here would be a nice change! =)

ab
Reading through the entire thread, you are on the verge of beating this horse to death, but in general the morning LAX-HNL flight has very good chances for upgrades. As a DM, it is almost inconceivable that you wouldn't clear. It is essentially all O&D traffic to a leisure market. Can't get much better than that for a DM looking to score an upgrade.

Not sure how much more encouragement you need.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why did the OP put "FB" at the end of the thread title? I thought this would be a thread about a FlyingBlue elite (AF/KLM) trying to get an upgrade to Hawaii.
Exactly what I thought, but I guess he means flatbed?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Later pax cannot make connections at HNL, so any connecting pax (DL to NGO, KIX, FUK or NRT, or CI to NRT or TPE, or KE to NRT or ICN, etc.) will be precisely on this flight, which is actually a through flight (LAX-NGO, with a stop in HNL; hence the reason why it's the properly configured 767 and not one of the horrid old recliners ones). I've seen not a lot, but still a fair number of fax pax from this flight staying on, or connecting to one of the other connections available that are timed accordingly.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Any predictions on upgrades for a PM on these flights? I will be flying MSP-XXX-HNL at the end of March. It would be worth flying to LAX the day before to take this morning flight if I thought I had a fair chance of an upgrade to the flat-bed seats.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by RealHJ
hence the reason why it's the properly configured 767 and not one of the horrid old recliners ones)
Now I'm really disappointed that I switched off it to a 757 from SEA!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Now I'm really disappointed that I switched off it to a 757 from SEA!
C'est la vie...
but really, that particular flight 767 will be never switched out for a lesser (non-lie-flat) aircraft, as it has to continue onto NGO, unlike other 767 flights (e.g., ex SLC) where you never know what you're going to get and lie flat is just a bonus if you're lucky, but not guaranteed.

Well, but you do have a chance, albeit a small one, that (MSP-)SEA-HNL will be on a lie-flat 767. It does happen once in a blue moon as a last minute operational aircraft change.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Good to hear the DM rates here. I'm planning on a HNL run in Feb. Finally a 767 with FB vs the domestic 767's with a gazillion F seats.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:27 am

Do you think my companion (no status) stands a chance on the companion upgrade? I imagine one proxy would be the relative # of NRSAs up front, as companions would be upgraded before them.
I was flying with my husband (no status) and though I booked tix together I ended up having them separate as I was told that if we were together the status that would count was the lower one and since I'm DM it seemed better to have one seat upgraded than none. So make sure you are on your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.