Upgrading on DL 611 LAX-HNL 767 FB

Old Jan 14, 15, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Upgrading on DL 611 LAX-HNL 767 FB

Has anyone had success with a comp medallion upgrade on this flight? It departs early enough (8:30am PST) that I think I should have a really good shot as a DM even on a cheapo X fare...basically just thinking of rolling the dice without having to burn a RUC or 15k miles (If I buy a K+ fare of course).

Would really appreciate any results/recent experiences regarding the comp upgrade on this route esp. with respect to days of the week (Wed vs. Sat, etc.). I know it's not full BE with the Westin bedding...I had the 757s to HNL so an upgrade here would be a nice change! =)

ab

Last edited by ab_initio; Jan 14, 15 at 12:30 pm Reason: made it more specific
Old Jan 14, 15, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I got it at the window back in Dec on a V.
Old Jan 14, 15, 12:47 pm

Programs: DM/2MM
Originally Posted by ab_initio View Post
Has anyone had success with a comp medallion upgrade on this flight? It departs early enough (8:30am PST) that I think I should have a really good shot as a DM even on a cheapo X fare...basically just thinking of rolling the dice without having to burn a RUC or 15k miles (If I buy a K+ fare of course).

Would really appreciate any results/recent experiences regarding the comp upgrade on this route esp. with respect to days of the week (Wed vs. Sat, etc.). I know it's not full BE with the Westin bedding...I had the 757s to HNL so an upgrade here would be a nice change! =)

ab
I know a few people flying this that have gotten the upgrade. It was at the gate, and think it was on either Thursday or Friday.

You should have an excellent shot on this flight if you are not traveling around school holidays. Also, Saturdays can be a heavier travel day. What's good about upgrades on this flight is that it doesn't allow same day connections to much of the US, so there's less competition for space.
Old Jan 14, 15, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt View Post
I got it at the window back in Dec on a V.
Thanks, very helpful - do you recall the day of week? I know it may not matter but worth rolling the dice...
Old Jan 14, 15, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler View Post
I know a few people flying this that have gotten the upgrade. It was at the gate, and think it was on either Thursday or Friday.

You should have an excellent shot on this flight if you are not traveling around school holidays. Also, Saturdays can be a heavier travel day. What's good about upgrades on this flight is that it doesn't allow same day connections to much of the US, so there's less competition for space.
Thanks - I appreciate that! Do you know anything about the return route? A different ball of wax it seems since there are many potential connections and virtually no advance upgrade space (at least according to the DM desk on some random days in May)
Old Jan 14, 15, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
do you recall the day of week?
First Saturday, so I may have been lucky due to lack of people traveling the first half of December? Decided against burning a GUC on HNL-ATL. Still trying to decide if I regret that or not!
Old Jan 14, 15, 1:00 pm

Thanks - I appreciate that! Do you know anything about the return route? A different ball of wax it seems since there are many potential connections and virtually no advance upgrade space (at least according to the DM desk on some random days in May)
I can't recall. I think they each came back direct from OGG.
Old Jan 14, 15, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt View Post
First Saturday, so I may have been lucky due to lack of people traveling the first half of December? Decided against burning a GUC on HNL-ATL. Still trying to decide if I regret that or not!

I think so. Pretty much lighter loads in December prior to Dec 20 or so, depending on when the holiday falls.

But on any flight anything can happen. It's a heavy family travel day, so you might have someone buying F seats for the whole family, or not. But it's more likely on that day.
Old Jan 14, 15, 5:05 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
I flew HNL-LAX the Tuesday after Labor Day on a V fare and was upgraded.

(Can't comment on LAX-HNL because I flew LAX-OGG...the Thursday of Labor Day weekend and Was upgraded at the window.)
Old Jan 14, 15, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
On the way back I have been upgraded every time as PM and DM. That was before the regional upgrade certificates. I just did that flight last week. 1/2 of first was filled with non-revs.
Old Jan 14, 15, 8:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
As a DM Hawaii is one of the FEW markets where I am running a 100% upgrade rate from LAX and SLC. That said 1/2 were day of departure at the gate.

More leisure travellers and fewer business makes this a decent upgrade market.

I always have either used certs or buy ups on ATL-HNL but also have a 100% success rate on that market. Generally ATL is advance confirmed!
Old Jan 14, 15, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Can you use upgrade domestic certs from atl to HNL?
Old Jan 15, 15, 12:40 am

i take this flight once a month. 611 out on Monday and 612 back on a Wednesday typically. I had a 100% hit rate in 2014.
Old Jan 15, 15, 1:25 am

Used miles to book and got upgraded as DM on a Wed in Dec 2014. Upgraded on the return as well (a Sunday) - right before holidays.
Old Jan 15, 15, 4:27 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Esltroy View Post
Can you use upgrade domestic certs from atl to HNL?
No.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: