FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

2015 Upgrade Success Thread or lack of

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Since the new elite year (March 1st):

#4 of 7 for MSN-ATL late flight on Good Friday (only 1 seat available - - all other seats were gone before the window); kind of gobstruck by being #4 of only 7 elites as a Plat.

For next weekend: the trifecta! Doing a 3-segment connection next Saturday including a DTW-ATL segment, and all 3 cleared today at the window.

Does anyone have the skinny on how elite numbers have changed March 1st compared to previous years - - since the cumulative effect of MQD's will just now have kicked in for the first time?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
I'm 3 for 18 for 2015 and 0/10 since March 1, and that includes zero upgrades on my Sunday-Wednesday MLB-ATL-BNA trip last week. Tomorrow I'm 8 on both of my flights with 0 seats on the first one and 1 seat on three second. I'm flying similar itineraries as last year and was hitting 75% upgrade success.

A huge part of the problem is that FL flights seem to be ground zero for FCM which I unfortunately can't participate in since I book through a corporate travel agent and that means I don't get the paid upgrade offers on delta.com.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Have folks noticed any changes in when window UGs are clearing (when they actually do clear)?

As a PM, I've usually seen window UGs clear around 5pm ATL time, 6 days out. By my math, this means a Sunday flight clears the Monday afternoon prior.

Today, Tuesday, I'm looking for flights this Sunday - so I should be within the window already. Found a flight, and it only shows "Upgrade Eligible." On a whim, I force the search into a Y fare, and the same flight now shows "Upgrade Available."

In my mind, one of three things are happening:
1) I'm counting my fingers and toes wrong, and the PM window doesn't actually open until this afternoon.
2) DL has fixed their clocks and are now doing window upgrades 120 hours in advance of a flight, rather than 144-ish hours in advance.
3) DL has begun pulling medallion UGs from Y out of a different inventory than medallion UGs from all other fare classes.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by ND76
I received a totally unexpected but wonderful visit a couple of hours ago from the Delta Upgrade Fairy (my grandsons have a tooth fairy; I have an upgrade fairy).

I'm on a V fare DCA-ATL-JAX next week. I'll be the guy wearing a Notre Dame shirt drinking Bloody Marys both segments.
Upgrade fairy strikes V fare again, 1pm sat flight STL>SLC>LAS for this GM.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by gooselee
On a whim, I force the search into a Y fare, and the same flight now shows "Upgrade Available."

1) I'm counting my fingers and toes wrong, and the PM window doesn't actually open until this afternoon.
2) DL has fixed their clocks and are now doing window upgrades 120 hours in advance of a flight, rather than 144-ish hours in advance.
3) DL has begun pulling medallion UGs from Y out of a different inventory than medallion UGs from all other fare classes.

Thoughts?
Not different inventory. The process for clearing upgrades is completely unrelated to searching. Delta runs a cron job every so often, clearing upgrades as available. It's coded to allow upgrades a bit early, and always has, in my experience. On light routes, I always get upgrades 6 days out.

Searching is a completely separate system, and it may not display upgrade available until the window is actually reached.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:50 am

Got all four legs over Good Friday and Dyngus day (Monday after Easter) upgraded at earliest possible time (5.5 days before).

I don't seem to have a problem.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:03 am

PM here. Upgraded FLL-LGA within 24 hour window, lots of battlefield upgrades (pulled from seat in coach on 2 recently.)

Overall, about 70%.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
Not different inventory. The process for clearing upgrades is completely unrelated to searching. Delta runs a cron job every so often, clearing upgrades as available. It's coded to allow upgrades a bit early, and always has, in my experience. On light routes, I always get upgrades 6 days out.

Searching is a completely separate system, and it may not display upgrade available until the window is actually reached.
Please re-read my post. I believe I was searching while already inside my window (searching on Tuesday for a Sunday flight).
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Yesterday (4/7) 4 for 4

MSY-LAX DL1325 T/RU BF
LAX-SEA DL1352 T/RU 5 Days
SEA-LAX DL1467 V/RU Gate
LAX-MSY DL2592 V/RU 4 Days
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
DM flying ATL-LAX yesterday. I asked to apply a RUC when I booked the flight a month or so ago.

When I got to the gate I was #10 of 39 for 9 seats. Enjoyed my C+ seat.

Earlier, in the SC I inquired about my ranking and asking if the RUC had been applied correctly. It had, and he checked and the folks above me were all DM using RUCs
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Upgrade fairy strikes V fare again, 1pm sat flight STL>SLC>LAS for this GM.
And 17hrs later, the SLC>LAS segment cleared......I hope the good luck sticks around while I'm IN Vegas!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Flight 1845 DTW-LAX upgraded as a Silver last night into 5F on the 763. I was shocked when they called me for my new seat assignment in the middle of the boarding process. I said to the gate agent "I got upgraded? You have to be kidding me. This never happens." She laughed. I think I was #8 for 6 available seats when I checked in at EWR yesterday.

Also worth nothing that the flight was advertised as "refreshments" but they served a light meal which was OK -- a hot turkey sandwich.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by gooselee
Today, Tuesday, I'm looking for flights this Sunday - so I should be within the window already. Found a flight, and it only shows "Upgrade Eligible." On a whim, I force the search into a Y fare, and the same flight now shows "Upgrade Available."

Thoughts?
Full Y upgrades are different, and clear earlier (and possibly when medallion upgrades aren't (yet) available even though the seats are and it's within the window).

They might be holding seats for FCM, and full Y qualifies.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Flight 1845 DTW-LAX upgraded as a Silver last night into 5F on the 763. I was shocked when they called me for my new seat assignment in the middle of the boarding process. I said to the gate agent "I got upgraded? You have to be kidding me. This never happens." She laughed. I think I was #8 for 6 available seats when I checked in at EWR yesterday.

Also worth nothing that the flight was advertised as "refreshments" but they served a light meal which was OK -- a hot turkey sandwich.
Was "refreshments" advertised for F or Y?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by sethb
Was "refreshments" advertised for F or Y?
It was an 8:06pm departure from DTW so "Refreshments" in F. I have a pic of the meal on my phone so I'll try to upload to the definitive meals thread. It was fairly simple -- hot turkey sandwich, chips, fruit salad, and cookie. Nice they didn't run out or not have anything by the time they got to me. Essentially the whole flight was an open bar -- F/A's running up and down the isle serving and filling people up.

Also worth noting that in Comfort + on the 319 from EWR-DTW I got a free Ballast Point IPA. F/A forgot that cocktails are now free so he asked the lead F/A and she confirmed they are free now. The free cocktails policy in Comfort + is a winner if you ask me (for us nervous travelers) ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.