Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Getting Kicked Out of SkyBonus - How Should I Redeem 113K Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC

So my travel bookings have reverted to a corporate department and my annual SkyBonus spend is like $2K this year. They've made it clear if I don't hit $5K I'm out. This was originally a Biz Perks account.

I had 199K points but redeemed 85K on an (otherwise) $450 ticket to PHX. Maybe shouldn't have but it's over and done.

So I've got 113,862 SkyPoints left. Any recs on how to redeem? Another free ticket is appealing, but no MQM's and no upgrades makes it less appealing, although I could use it for a friend.

Any experts on SkyBonus point value items? I was thinking

Free Y domestic ticket (not upgradeable) 85K + 2 sets of 10 beverage coupons (2x10K = 20K) for 105K

or

Free Y Caribbean / Central America ticket - 110K

or

1 Year Skyclub Membership + 1 set of 10 beverage coupons = 110K

or

2 Select Fare Upgrade Certs (2 x 50 = 100K) + 1 set of 10 beverage coupons = 110K

or

1 Select Fare Upgrade Cert (50K) + 1 set of 5 Sky Club day passes (60K) = 110K

Any recommendations? I'm torn. The beverage coupons aren't worth much if I get a free drink in C+ (I'm Platinum) so that's why I hate to waste my points on them, although I can give as gifts. The Skyclub day passes expire after 1 year, so it seems like for 40K more to get the whole membership is the best deal.

I guess the Caribbean/Central America ticket may be the most valuable, although I prefer to go to Tobago if I go to that area and DL doesn't fly there.

I need to do it this month! I won't be earning any more points.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you'll fly enough and use the SC, then I'd say the membership is the way to go and throw in the drink tix as the filler to use up the rest. You can usually get Caribbean tickets pretty cheap especially on sales.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd go for the upgrade certs if they're good for international since as a PM you can't get GUCs.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

I fly a lot, but my connections are usually pretty slick so rarely have time for SkyClub. But I am leaning that way. Although maybe just the 5 passes and then the upgrade cert. Ahhh, my head spins. Maybe I will put my top 3 into a hat and draw one.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:52 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Can someone tell me how the select fares upgrade certs work? I just got a bunch of people at my work place to sign up and I'm still signing up other random travel buddies who don't care.

What is the best benefit for international travel with this?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:00 am
Original Poster

The select fare upgrade cert is mostly not even as good as a RUC, although it would be valid on a NYC-->SFO/LAX route, which a RUC isn't. But it isn't good for any Hawaii route, just basically contiguous North America and Alaska.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by fintheman
Can someone tell me how the select fares upgrade certs work? I just got a bunch of people at my work place to sign up and I'm still signing up other random travel buddies who don't care.

I was coincidentally just looking at this, and can't tell which paid fare classes you can apply the UG certs to (though I do see that you need RP/OP inventory to use them). If anyone's used them before, would love to hear your experience.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
I was coincidentally just looking at this, and can't tell which paid fare classes you can apply the UG certs to (though I do see that you need RP/OP inventory to use them). If anyone's used them before, would love to hear your experience.
In tiny, tiny, print at the top of the award (way before terms and conditions). It took me 3 passes to see this:

"This certificate entitles you to a complimentary one-way first/business class upgrade with the purchase of a published Y/B/M/S/H/Q/K fare for travel within or between US49/Canada, excluding Hawaii."
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Don't dismiss the beverage coupons. Exit rows have more room than Economy (dis)Comfort and they won't have the benefits of the new Comfort +(or -).

If you have use of the domestic or Caribbean tickets, those would have the most value followed by the Sky Club.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bergamini
In tiny, tiny, print at the top of the award (way before terms and conditions). It took me 3 passes to see this:

"This certificate entitles you to a complimentary one-way first/business class upgrade with the purchase of a published Y/B/M/S/H/Q/K fare for travel within or between US49/Canada, excluding Hawaii."
Ahh - I see it now. They really didn't make it obvious, did they? I buy lots of K+ fares - this could be a nice supplement to RUCs.

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
Ahh - I see it now. They really didn't make it obvious, did they? I buy lots of K+ fares - this could be a nice supplement to RUCs.

Thanks!
Makes sense since PMs can only get four RUCs per year and they're apparently not good on the JFK-LAX/SFO and vv nonstops.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by fintheman

FWIW, I would be careful of that strategy. Random travel buddies, etc., are not a stated earning method. You could stand to lose all your points if audited. They are tightening up SkyBonus (hence the 5K threshold) and others have reported getting dinged for non-business related travelers.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The thing to be careful with the upgrade certs is that according to the T&C you cannot waitlist on them, and no day of departure airport upgrade list... so you have to find availability when you book.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:02 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by jackplum
FWIW, I would be careful of that strategy. Random travel buddies, etc., are not a stated earning method. You could stand to lose all your points if audited. They are tightening up SkyBonus (hence the 5K threshold) and others have reported getting dinged for non-business related travelers.
I know well and clear - I wanted to set bait out of curiosity with a comment like this and it looks like it was taken.

I would like the Delta employees who decided to GoogleFu me (3x of them) to message me and explain the trivial searching of my name/likeness on the internet. I have your names guys, not cool at all. I'm not afraid to make this issue larger and public but you guys were pretty blatant.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

I really have no idea what that means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.