FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1629493-offical-delta-award-stopovers-open-jaw-gone-skymiles2015.html)

AKC6 Nov 22, 2014 2:18 pm

OW + AmEx

If OJ's are prohibited and OW itins have their own pricing, how could you construct an OJ itin at RT pricing? OW must be higher, or the prohibition would be useless.

If domestic OW awards go to 15m, I can see AmEx lowering its sign-up bonus to 15m and still trumpeting, "Enough for a free flight!"

davetravels Nov 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 23881273)
I'm speculating that it won't if one can manage this to be a single PNR.

OK, so, here's a typical example of the "unknown" factor . . . .

My regular summer trip is PIT to Paris nonstop in Y

2 or 3 days in Paris, then onto Berlin - Y or J - doesn't matter to me, but usually a stopover as part of my return home in J, which now won't work.

Return home from Berlin in J

So, I currently have this booked for next August for 92,500 miles - Eastbound in Y - Westbound in J - all low level - total taxes/fees $182.00

Under the new program, even if this is all bookable on a single PNR, there will be additional miles required for the Paris / Berlin segment, which can no longer be considered a stopover, so that's an additional 15,000 miles in Y. It's not great, but I could live with that . . . BUT . . .

Will there be surcharges for this segment? Right now, if you book CDG/TXL as a standalone, the taxes for this segment are: 71.60.

Then, if the system prices out each of the 3 trips as one-way, will TXL/PIT require payment of the originating surcharges which currently show at: 260.66 in Y and 320.66 in J?!?

I guess we're not going to know how these types of trips price out til Jan 1 at 12:01 AM!

WhiskeyBravo Nov 23, 2014 5:09 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 23882273)

Then, if the system prices out each of the 3 trips as one-way, will TXL/PIT require payment of the originating surcharges which currently show at: 260.66 in Y and 320.66 in J?!?

I guess we're not going to know how these types of trips price out til Jan 1 at 12:01 AM!

I originate in the EU and would pay 520 EUR of surcharges on a Y award ticket to the USA. So useful, these miles are....

Dieuwer Nov 23, 2014 12:00 pm

My regular summer trip is PIT to Paris nonstop in Y

Every year there are summer J sales to Europe. Forget about using miles.

davetravels Nov 23, 2014 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 23885694)
Every year there are summer J sales to Europe. Forget about using miles.

I book this trip far enough in advance that I can alwayz get the best Y seat - 19C. I plop my b-tt in 19C - sleep & eat a little - and wake up in Paris! It's a great flight! I can't see paying, whatever - $2000 minimum?, when I can get 19C for free. Coming back, I book J for the extra luggage space.

Just a fun note - - - Last year, I did this trip with a friend, who, #1 - had never been to Europe, and #2 - we arrived in Paris on his birthday! I got us 18 D & E, which is the 2 seats by themselves at the exit door. The lead J FA brought us a bottle of champagne, and snuck it in a plastic bucket with ice by our feet! It was FANTASTIC! :D

Dieuwer Nov 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 23885904)
I book this trip far enough in advance that I can alwayz get the best Y seat - 19C. I plop my b-tt in 19C - sleep & eat a little - and wake up in Paris! It's a great flight! I can't see paying, whatever - $2000 minimum?, when I can get 19C for free. Coming back, I book J for the extra luggage space.

"Opportunity cost"

CLTRob Nov 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Just a fun note - - - Last year, I did this trip with a friend, who, #1 - had never been to Europe, and #2 - we arrived in Paris on his birthday! I got us 18 D & E, which is the 2 seats by themselves at the exit door. The lead J FA brought us a bottle of champagne, and snuck it in a plastic bucket with ice by our feet! It was FANTASTIC! :D

The Champagne was a very nice touch! You can count on Delta for superior service!

I do have a quick question . . . I usually go to Paris every year too, and then on to another city before returning home. In 2015, will I be able to book an award ticket from CLT to CDG, take the train to Amsterdam, then return from AMS to CLT? Will that type of open-jaw be allowed?

Dieuwer Nov 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by CLTRob (Post 23886071)
I do have a quick question . . . I usually go to Paris every year too, and then on to another city before returning home. In 2015, will I be able to book an award ticket from CLT to CDG, take the train to Amsterdam, then return from AMS to CLT? Will that type of open-jaw be allowed?

It will be priced as two one-ways.

javabytes Nov 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by AKC6 (Post 23882264)
If OJ's are prohibited and OW itins have their own pricing, how could you construct an OJ itin at RT pricing? OW must be higher, or the prohibition would be useless.

If domestic OW awards go to 15m, I can see AmEx lowering its sign-up bonus to 15m and still trumpeting, "Enough for a free flight!"

It's already posted on the DL website that one way awards will be at half the round trip price.

And yes, eliminating open jaws has little practical effect when one way pricing is in effect. Open jaws will just price as two one-ways. However, Delta.com also says additional rules and restrictions may apply to one way travel... so that's still an open question in my mind - what rules and restrictions, exactly?

davetravels Nov 23, 2014 2:41 pm

The potential problem, CLTRob, is, that if it indeed does price as 2 one-ways, even if both directions can be booked on a single itinerary, will there be a HUGE "origination surcharge" for the return trip starting in AMS, similar to the way it is now when someone books the reverse of the trip you want - AMS/USA - return - USA/CDG??? NOBODY knows right now!

lseflyer Nov 24, 2014 10:57 am

Looking at the recent schedule changes, good luck finding flights from small mid western airports without layovers greater then 4 hours

gregman858 Nov 24, 2014 12:10 pm

This is my fear as well. The elimination of stopovers can be dealt with. However, if Delta prices one-ways from Europe with the origination taxes/fuel-surcharges, these new "one-way" awards will turn into a major devaluation.

I am hoping that these origination taxes/fuel-surcharges will be eliminated once Skymiles 2015 goes into effect. However, based on the many devaluations this year, I fully expect them to remain, therefore effectively eliminating open-jaw tickets (unless you want to pay a bunch of extra fees to book two one-way international tickets).

If the taxes/fuel surcharges remain, I truly believe this is a game changer.

MSPeconomist Nov 24, 2014 7:55 pm

I'm trying to imagine what you're transporting back to the USA every summer that require so much additional luggage space.

jiburi Nov 28, 2014 1:11 am

So today, prior to jan 1 2015, effective date, I tried booking an international itinerary booking SEA-HNL (stopover point for Two weeks) then HNL-NRT (4 day destination) and HND-SEA all on N class low award but pricing at 107500 miles. If free stop over is working, it should be 70000 miles, no?

I tried calling the agent (both elite line and rebooking desk) quote that the policy had changed and I no longer qualify for free stopover after nov 17, 2014 announcement. (I quote to them that the policy is implemented for award booked after 1/1/15). Is the policy already implemented? Grr

Jiburi

RealHJ Nov 28, 2014 1:12 am

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 23909137)
So today, prior to jan 1 2015, effective date, I tried booking an international itinerary booking SEA-HNL (stopover point for Two weeks) then HNL-NRT (4 day destination) and HND-SEA all on N class low award but pricing at 107000 miles. If free stop over is working, it should be 70000 miles, no?

I tried calling the agent (both elite line and rebooking desk) quote that the policy had changed and I no longer qualify for free stopover after nov 17, 2014 announcement. (I quote to them that the policy is implemented for award booked after 1/1/15). Is the policy already implemented? Grr

Jiburi

It shouldn't be. Just typical DL employees who don't care about the customers. HUACA until you get an agent who cares and will follow the posted policy.