FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1629493-offical-delta-award-stopovers-open-jaw-gone-skymiles2015.html)

jiburi Dec 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Is this a glitch?

I previously booked a stopover itinerary SEA-HNL-(NRT/HND)-SEA with a few days in HNL, all on standard N economy class. 107500 miles.

When I cancelled SEA-HNL segment, as it was pricing higher than anticipated, the breakdown of the fare with miles turned out to be the following.
SEA-HNL 45000 miles
HNL-NRT 27500 miles
NRT/HND-HNL 35000 miles.

45000 is the full value of roundtrip SEA-HNL pricing, rather than one-way segment.

Wasn't it supposed to be 22500 miles if it was one-way pricing? Is this a glitch of segment pricing?

Jiburi

paulmoscow Dec 19, 2014 2:36 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 23886100)
However, Delta.com also says additional rules and restrictions may apply to one way travel... so that's still an open question in my mind - what rules and restrictions, exactly?

They may be related to immigration. Most US visitors must hold return tickets to enter the States.

henare Dec 26, 2014 5:09 am

Haven't been able to find this: to book these tickets before 1jan2015 you have to phone in because they've already changed the programming on the website. Does Delta ding you the $25 for the phone call cost?

michael_v Dec 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by henare (Post 24053995)
Haven't been able to find this: to book these tickets before 1jan2015 you have to phone in because they've already changed the programming on the website. Does Delta ding you the $25 for the phone call cost?

If you ask them nicely to waive it due to the circumstances, they will waive it.

Lack Dec 27, 2014 5:31 pm

So, pre Jan 1, is it possible to get AAA-BBB-CCC(stopover)-DDD? Three segments, two connection should be doable if I'm reading the new rules correctly?

michael_v Dec 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lack (Post 24060296)
So, pre Jan 1, is it possible to get AAA-BBB-CCC(stopover)-DDD? Three segments, two connection should be doable if I'm reading the new rules correctly?

Yes, that is correct. In the past, the limit enforced by the computer/website was 4 segments each way. Now that the agents are manually pricing awards, it is YMMV I guess.

MSPeconomist Dec 27, 2014 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Lack (Post 24060296)

Not as a one way before January 1 and not after with the stopover. It might qualify as an open jaw depending on whether AAA and DDD are sufficiently close together.

fti Dec 27, 2014 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 24060717)
Not as a one way before January 1 and not after with the stopover. It might qualify as an open jaw depending on whether AAA and DDD are sufficiently close together.

Exactly. Without knowing the specific routing, it is a question that is impossible to answer.

BF263533 Dec 28, 2014 1:09 am

Well there will be no more miles run up on Delta. Stopovers and open-jaws are no cost. What alternative airlines should we be putting our miles towards?

Really, nothing more than a fraud and Ponzi scheme. They should disclose that the benefit will disappear over time.

So much for saving miles for your old age. God bless us seniors.

Lack Dec 28, 2014 1:47 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 24060717)

Not a one way, just the outbound. Similar routing on the return, maybe with a small distance open jaw thrown in.

lamont2718 Dec 29, 2014 9:48 am

PSA: Award itineraries with 1 open-jaw and 1 stopover are no longer allowed (even though it's not 1/1/2015 yet).

I have been trying to book an award itinerary with an open jaw and a stopover: LAX-FCO(destination)-CDG(stopover)-BOS. In the past, such a routing would have been allowed at standard round-trip pricing without issue. But now the award pricing engine is considering this to be three one-way flights, each with roundtrip pricing, for a total of 300k miles instead of the usual 125k miles.

Admittedly, the award rules do specify that either a stopover or an open-jaw is allowed (not both), but this has never been enforced before. For those trying to book awards in the last few days before 1/1/2015, beware.

michael_v Dec 29, 2014 9:56 am

delete

suvayanr Dec 29, 2014 10:08 am

Originally Posted by lamont2718 (Post 24067384)
PSA: Award itineraries with 1 open-jaw and 1 stopover are no longer allowed (even though it's not 1/1/2015 yet).

I have been trying to book an award itinerary with an open jaw and a stopover: LAX-FCO(destination)-CDG(stopover)-BOS. In the past, such a routing would have been allowed at standard round-trip pricing without issue. But now the award pricing engine is considering this to be three one-way flights, each with roundtrip pricing, for a total of 300k miles instead of the usual 125k miles.

Admittedly, the award rules do specify that either a stopover or an open-jaw is allowed (not both), but this has never been enforced before. For those trying to book awards in the last few days before 1/1/2015, beware.

Are you trying to book online? You'll have to do this with an (informed) agent.

michael_v Dec 29, 2014 10:09 am

Originally Posted by suvayanr (Post 24067475)

But not too informed because the official rules never allowed both stopover and open-jaw. :)

lamont2718 Dec 29, 2014 10:30 am

Originally Posted by suvayanr (Post 24067475)

I have tried with several agents to no avail. They have also escalated the issue to supervisors and/or IRRRES with the same result as well.

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 24067482)
But not too informed because the official rules never allowed both stopover and open-jaw. :)

Indeed!