FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1629493-offical-delta-award-stopovers-open-jaw-gone-skymiles2015.html)

michael_v Nov 21, 2014 11:28 am

Originally Posted by KeepDeltaMyDeltaFireRichardAnderson (Post 23877364)
Can someone clarify? Previously you could book an open jaw, for example, JFK-FRA/LHR-JFK, on one PNR. Now you have to book two separate one way tickets on two PNR's??

The poster you quoted wanted both open-jaw and stopover, and stopovers are only available, supposedly, until Dec 31st.

Starting Jan 1st, nothing indicates you can't include an open jaw into one PNR, all DL is saying is about its pricing:

"For Award Travel ticketed on or after January 1, 2015, all open jaw itineraries will be priced based on One-way Award Travel pricing rules."

MSPeconomist Nov 21, 2014 11:41 am

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 23877478)
The poster you quoted wanted both open-jaw and stopover, and stopovers are only available, supposedly, until Dec 31st.

Starting Jan 1st, nothing indicates you can't include an open jaw into one PNR, all DL is saying is about its pricing:

"For Award Travel ticketed on or after January 1, 2015, all open jaw itineraries will be priced based on One-way Award Travel pricing rules."

If the change doesn't mean two PNRs for OJ award tickets, then this wouldn't seem to be any different from what is done now.

michael_v Nov 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 23877537)
If the change doesn't mean two PNRs for OJ award tickets, then this wouldn't seem to be any different from what is done now.

People are speculating that a return leg from Europe may incur fuel surcharges.

gregman858 Nov 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 23877624)

This seems very likely. "One way pricing" seems to hint at fuel surcharges being enforced, so I would expect you will have to pay those if you decide on an open-jaw.

In booking an award ticket that included an open-jaw and stopover for next July (which took 3 phone calls and almost 2 hours of talking with Delta), the agents kept pricing my trip at many more miles than should be required.

I found low level availability on the inbound and low level business availability on the outbound. However, the agent repeatedly tried to charge me 135,000 Skymiles. I argued the point that there was low level availability and eventually they were able to get the price to match the correct price of 92,500 miles.

It was a very frustrating process, especially since I knew I was correct and Delta was trying to make me pay more miles than even a round trip in low level business elite would cost.

pbiflyer Nov 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by emrdoc (Post 23857551)
To those of us that fly weekly for work, Delta does an unequaled job of getting us to our destination on-time and with the least stress and angst. The Skymiles program can be frustrating at times but to suggest we don't fly Delta because of it is ridiculous. Your view is amazingly myopic.

I have been waffling on switching airlines from Delta to American. This was one of the differentiators for Delta. Our families' last three vacations have taken advantage of either open jaws, layovers, or both.
Since it no longer is, the benefits from American now outweighs the benefits of Delta. With only 250k points left in my Skymiles account and PM set for next year, no real reason to continue accruing miles in my account.
And since the benefits of status are important to me, I will fly predominately American next year and future years.

pbiflyer Nov 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by havnfn (Post 23857923)
This just might kill our plans for a stop in LA for a few days on the way to Maui next year.

:(

That was our vacation last year. Quite the nice feature. Thanks for ruining the last decent benefit of your program.

houserulz77 Nov 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Although still a devaluation, I can see the rationale in instances where someone wants to hang out in another city for a few days. But in some cases, the "stop-over" is literally an overnight.

Last year I was on a cruise and because of the arrival time and so forth it was not possible to get from CPH to the US and then connect to MCO. So we flew CPH-CDG-BOS, overnighted in BOS, and then flew BOS-MCO the next morning.

They ought to at least include a 24 hour exception to allow for this type of scenario.

michael_v Nov 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by houserulz77 (Post 23877735)
Although still a devaluation, I can see the rationale in instances where someone wants to hang out in another city for a few days. But in some cases, the "stop-over" is literally an overnight.

Last year I was on a cruise and because of the arrival time and so forth it was not possible to get from CPH to the US and then connect to MCO. So we flew CPH-CDG-BOS, overnighted in BOS, and then flew BOS-MCO the next morning.

They ought to at least include a 24 hour exception to allow for this type of scenario.

Stopover for international travel is by definition 24 hours or more. There is nothing that indicates you won't be able to spend 23 hrs 59 min in a city after Jan 1st, other than maybe taking away multi-city searches.

RealHJ Nov 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Points (Post 23859458)

Doesn't look like non-DL awards will be at the normal award pricing ("level 1") anymore. At least not necessarily always.

The mileage levels and benefits for each Award and each partner airline are subject to change at any time and are subject to the terms and conditions of each partner airline. Some airline partners impose a surcharge on Award Travel redemptions for travel on their airline. These charges, when applicable, are the responsibility of the passenger and will be collected at the time of booking.
Could this be a return to how it was with NW, that some awards priced out more (at a higher unpublished mileage level) with KE than with NW, for example (which thankfully went away with DL/006)?

RealHJ Nov 21, 2014 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 23860992)
I'm very confused as to why everyone is "shocked" at this. This is no different than how AA does their mileage flights.

That's the price you pay for one-way. I fully expected this

Along with removing stopovers earlier this year AA hasn't also simultaneously devalued the value of its miles. With DL, what used to be 70K miles RT in BE (Hawaii to S Asia) less than a year ago is now 70K miles RT in Y. That's right: last year's BE pricing is current economy pricing for awards. That is, essentially, a two fold devaluation of the miles, plus with removal of stopover it's a devaluation of more than 70% (i.e. reducing value by 70% to only 30% of what it was a year ago of a mile in redemptions).

RealHJ Nov 21, 2014 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 23861518)
Also, looks like one-way rates have mostly gone up for travel outside of NA.
Almost all rates up by ~5k for Y, ~10k for J each way

Some examples
Old/New rates each way,

North Asia - Hawaii Y 27.5k->30k, J 42.5k->50k

Actually it's Y 22.5K -> 30K and J 35K -> 50K, if compared to what was in place less than a year ago.

And Hawaii to S Asia: Y 22.5K -> 35K, where Y becomes what J used to be 35K OW for 70K RT

CO-PLAT Nov 22, 2014 4:53 am

This sucks! Although I've thought about it often, I've never threatened to fire Delta. This is the straw that will cause me to evaluate my airline options.

I've taken advantage of free stopovers every year for the last 16 years.

RealHJ Nov 22, 2014 5:04 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 23875060)
Just when I thought DL was coming around with real enhancements...

Seriously? You really thought that?

Lay off whatever it is you're drinking or smoking. :p

rankourabu Nov 22, 2014 6:31 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 23879907)
Doesn't look like non-DL awards will be at the normal award pricing ("level 1") anymore. At least not necessarily always.

Could this be a return to how it was with NW, that some awards priced out more (at a higher unpublished mileage level) with KE than with NW, for example (which thankfully went away with DL/006)?

I read it as fuel surcharges will be enforced.
If you look at the non-NA origin charts, there is still only one level.

For those of you who dont know how much of a big deal fuel surcharges are - take a wonder to the AC or BA forums - a one way surcharge Europe-NA can easily run you $500 on top of regular taxes.

MSPeconomist Nov 22, 2014 10:00 am

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 23877624)

I'm speculating that it won't if one can manage this to be a single PNR.