Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum check in time enforced at ICN?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You would obviously need to arrange for a taxi in advance..
I am inclined to say that this would be impossible.

You go from Dorasan (which is in the military restricted zone - so obviously no taxi) straight to Jayuro (Freedom Highway) which connects to Olympic Highway before getting off south of the river.

So it involves either convincing the bus driver to take an unscheduled exit from the highway or convincing the bus driver to let you off on a highway.

Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi
would you recommend a different operator that might have a better schedule for us?
Google Panmunjom Tour. I think there are only three or so (including USO) that does the tour of the actual Panmunjom.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
I am inclined to say that this would be impossible.

You go from Dorasan (which is in the military restricted zone - so obviously no taxi) straight to Jayuro (Freedom Highway) which connects to Olympic Highway before getting off south of the river.

So it involves either convincing the bus driver to take an unscheduled exit from the highway or convincing the bus driver to let you off on a highway.

Google Panmunjom Tour. I think there are only three or so (including USO) that does the tour of the actual Panmunjom.
I didn't realize that, but can't a taxi meet people at the exit to the restricted zone? There must be some sort of a checkpoint there. The taxi wouldn't need to enter the military area.

OP need to contact the tour operators and get answers about potential arrangements in writing.

Are there any issues in bringing luggage on the tour if it enters the military restricted area?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum

Highway connects straight to the checkpoint - so doubt it.

But OTOH, (1) you are going to a military instillation that borders a hostile country and (2) the place even has a dress code to visit (http://fieldflower.webini.net/bbs/bo..._id=126&page=0) - so I am inclined to say, no you can't bring your suitcases...
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll

Highway connects straight to the checkpoint - so doubt it.

But OTOH, (1) you are going to a military instillation that borders a hostile country and (2) the place even has a dress code to visit (http://fieldflower.webini.net/bbs/bo..._id=126&page=0) - so I am inclined to say, no you can't bring your suitcases...
I suspect you are right, based on the restricted list of items (no umbrellas etc). The tour operator opens in about 6 hours so I'll be calling in then to get the details.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They probably don't want anything that could even remotely be mistaken for a weapon.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If they do much to search people on the way in, they probably prohibit luggage, although there could be exceptions for things left in the bus during the visit.

OP might want to ask in the destination forum where there might be people around who have taken some of the DMZ tours.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the input. Where do you see that the AREX train leaves at the top of the hour? I can only find departure times ex-ICN on their website. That would be tight, arriving at the ICN station 72 minutes before departure.
http://english.arex.or.kr/jsp/eng/te...ress_train.jsp

There is no way you can make 1530 express train. Those express trains are very reliable. Taking 1600 express train gives you 12 minutes to go from ICN train station to DL check in. You may want to look up ICN airport map to be familiar layout and run for it.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Taking 1600 express train gives you 12 minutes to go from ICN train station to DL check in. You may want to look up ICN airport map to be familiar layout and run for it.
Delta check-in counters are typically in the K area. Takes at least 10 minutes from train station to K area walking at a fast pace. Getting through security could be a bigger problem for you - depending on the time of the day, it could take 30+ minutes. Getting though immigration and shuttle train to the concourse adds another 20 minutes. You are seriously pushing your luck!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Delta check-in counters are typically in the K area. Takes at least 10 minutes from train station to K area walking at a fast pace. Getting through security could be a bigger problem for you - depending on the time of the day, it could take 30+ minutes. Getting though immigration and shuttle train to the concourse adds another 20 minutes. You are seriously pushing your luck!
Great info thanks. This makes it seem almost impossible. However, let me put out a game plan and see if it makes sense.

0630 Arrive at CALT. Check in, check bags, and clear immigration for evening flight.
0730-1530 - Participate in tour
1530-1600 - Transit to Seoul Station and purchase AREX tickets
1600-1643 - AREX to ICN
1643-1720 - No need to visit ticketing counter, Proceed through designated CALT entrances and through security and then onto Delta gate
1720 - Board for 1755 departure.

Seems like it should work
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....0630 Arrive at CALT. Check in, check bags, and clear immigration for evening flight.....
I don't think DL participates in SSCAT check in.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Great info thanks. This makes it seem almost impossible. However, let me put out a game plan and see if it makes sense.

0630 Arrive at CALT. Check in, check bags, and clear immigration for evening flight.
1600-1643 - AREX to ICN
1643-1720 - No need to visit ticketing counter, Proceed through designated CALT entrances and through security and then onto Delta gate

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Call and change the ticket to depart another date.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:42 pm

1600-1643 - AREX to ICN

Does DL let you check bags in advance with this outfit? I know you can do something like this at HKG at the airport express train stations starting early in the morning on the day of your flight.

If it's a go, you might be able to save a bit of time and avoid some uncertainty by purchasing the AREX tickets early, in the morning or even the day before.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does DL let you check bags in advance with this outfit? I know you can do something like this at HKG at the airport express train stations starting early in the morning on the day of your flight....
This may work. I just realized that OP is checking in at CALT Gangnam, not SSCAT, but take AREX train, not limo bus. A bit confusing as CALT is setup for limo bus while SSCAT is setup for AREX train. DL does participate in CALT check in with baggage. They key thing is to catch 1600 AREX train. That's not how it was setup for but it may work.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input thus far. I'll update this once we are back and through. At this point we will be doing the tour, and either using the schedule I posted earlier, (view-with-a-room seems quite adamant it will fail but no reason why?) or more likely, using a driver that contacted me through my similar Tripadvisor post, offering a ride from Imjingak parking lot near DMZ to ICN for $200. He has told me he is friends with a USO tour guide and that being dropped off here won't be a problem.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
I wouldn't push it that close. When I flew out, it was in the center part of ICN which involved the underground tram. That took about 15-20 minutes from side to side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.