Wiki Posts
Search

Help - Tight LAX connection w/ Delta

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Help - Tight LAX connection w/ Delta

Hi all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. You pros seem to know all the best moves, so I'm hoping you'll kindly offer some advice for me on the following situation.

On Friday, I will fly Delta from MCO to LAX, arriving LAX at 9:25pm (Economy). On the same ticket, I am then flying Delta from LAX to SYD, departing at 10:11pm (Economy Comfort).

My understanding is that my arriving flight will put me into Terminal 5. The departing flight (an international flight) sometimes goes out of T5, but sometimes goes out of a non-connected Terminal.

Of course, my concern is making the connection, especially if I have to leave a terminal, run to another, and get through security quickly to arrive at the gate before the doors close.

Any tips? Is it a waste of time to talk to the agent at the arriving gate to ask them to call ahead to the departing gate?

Right now, my only hope is that the MCO-->LAX flight sometimes gets in early. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"The departing flight (an international flight) sometimes goes out of T5, but sometimes goes out of a non-connected Terminal."

Has the airside tunnel that connects T5 and T6 been closed?

http://www.flyingcritic.com/travel/2...l-between.html
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:11 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=guv1976;23783566]Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Pretty sure that tunnel is still there. Prior to this trip to the U.S., I'd checked and one of the flights was T5, the other T1, I believe. Today, they both show as T5. Can't tell which terminals they'll be at on Friday just yet. So, don't think the tunnels will help.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

While I cannot vouch for its accuracy, the LAX Airport Wiki indicates that all DL-operated flights depart from T5 or T6 at LAX.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVP
The T5-T6 tunnel is open, you should be fine and will have no need to clear security. MCT is 35 minutes, we did T5-T6 ATL-LAX-KOA last month with a 36 minute connection. No problem.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
[QUOTE=Awwwstralia;23783602]
Originally Posted by guv1976

Pretty sure that tunnel is still there. Prior to this trip to the U.S., I'd checked and one of the flights was T5, the other T1, I believe. Today, they both show as T5. Can't tell which terminals they'll be at on Friday just yet. So, don't think the tunnels will help.
There are Virgin codeshares from LAX to SYD and other destinations in Australia. This might be causing confusion. DL OPERATED flights (IIRC DL 16/17 is the SYD nonstop), which should include any flight (other than KLM) with EC seating, leave from T5 and T6 at LAX, which are indeed connected airside by a tunnel. There's absolutely no need to leave the secure area or go through TSA security at LAX for this connection.

Do you have a single ticket/itinerary? Was it issued by DL or perhaps an OLTA? I'm wondering whether you have a legal connection for domestic to international at LAX, although you have 46 minutes and MCT could well be 45 minutes.

Don't bother asking your arrival gate to call the gate for the SYD flight. It's a waste of time.

You could try to call DL and ask very nicely if they'd be willing to move you to a flight that arrives into LAX earlier but YMMV, especially with no DL status. Or ask to be seated as far forward and close to the door for fast deplaning at LAX. [Do you have an EC seat on the domestic flight too? If not, it could be worthwhile to purchase one in order to get off the plane quickly.]

IIRC the Virgin (JV partner of DL now) flights depart for SYD and other places in Australia a bit later, so DL should try to rebook you onto them if you miss the connection at LAX. I think there's also a second DL flight to either Brisbane or Melbourne on some days, which could then be used with a domestic Virgin connection back to SYD if you miss the DL nonstop to SYD and must be rebooked at LAX.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thank you both so much! I do these flights a lot, so the help will be put to use again and again (now that I know I can book tighter connections more regularly).
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Awwwstralia
Thank you both so much! I do these flights a lot, so the help will be put to use again and again (now that I know I can book tighter connections more regularly).
WHAT??? I don't think anyone here is advising you that you can book tighter connections. We're just trying to tell you the best thing that you can do NOW, after you've apparently already purchased a nonrefundable ticket with a tight connection.

IMO 46 minutes is even tight for domestic to domestic, DL to DL at LAX because it does take some time to walk through the tunnel and there's no guarantee that your connection won't require this. For international, technically you must be on board by T-30, which means no compensation if you're thus booted from an oversold flight. You might get lucky once, but I wouldn't do this deliberately.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

I am not taking a VAustralia flight (intentionally; I like my Economy Comfort savings over Premium Economy on V), so it's all Delta-operated flights on a single ticket/itinerary.

I too was surprised that they booked it way, but it's presumably because they were booked via award certificates and didn't have award seats on earlier flights from MCO to LAX that day. They did, however, say that if I missed the connection, they'd put me on another flight ... but I thought I'd get stuck in LA overnight since this departure is a later flight than most (arriving 8:10am SYD; most come in more like 6am). I'll double- check the VAustralia schedule as you suggested, to see what would be a good backup plan just in case.

And yep, I have no status on Delta and won't come close under the new rules. I'm an American who's been living in AU for several years, so I'm mostly only getting miles/points when I come home to visit.

You guys are awesome. Thanks again!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
WHAT??? I don't think anyone here is advising you that you can book tighter connections. We're just trying to tell you the best thing that you can do NOW, after you've apparently already purchased a nonrefundable ticket with a tight connection.

IMO 46 minutes is even tight for domestic to domestic, DL to DL at LAX because it does take some time to walk through the tunnel and there's no guarantee that your connection won't require this. For international, technically you must be on board by T-30, which means no compensation if you're thus booted from an oversold flight. You might get lucky once, but I wouldn't do this deliberately.
Sorry, my previous response to you disappeared (I must have made a newbie mistake). My apologies if I repeat some info here.

I didn't mean I'd try to book connections this tight again. I just meant that I might feel more confident about connections under 4 hours through LAX when on single-ticket Delta itineraries.

I was surprised they booked me such a short connection (award flights, so I think they couldn't work out something more decent in award seats), and they did assure me that they would put me on another flight if I miss the connection. I thought this departing flight to SYD was the last of the day, but I'll double-check the VAustralia schedule as you suggested, to see what kind of backup plan would be best, just in case.

As an American living in Sydney, I've done these flights several times, and never with such an absurdly short connection time. It just seemed to be the only thing they could work out for me this time, and thus I've been stressing about it ever since.

I'm exhausted from hectic U.S. travel and hoping to get back to SYD with one free adjustment day before returning to work, but I'll live if I get stuck in LA overnight. I really appreciate all the assistance with how to make my best effort at making the connection. You guys rock.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Awwwstralia
Your connection is above the MCT, but that is not the SCT (sensible connect time). You are totally dependent on not one thing going wrong and that is rare. In the event that your onward flight is overbooked at T-30, DL will offload misconnecting pax. This means that you have 16 minutes from your seat in the inbound to the gate reader on the outbound.

Put bluntly, it is a risky connection and one which I would only undertake if you have commitments at both MCO and SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.