Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can I fly standby to a different return location?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver

I have a flight from PBI-GSP and return. I need to be in MCO the next day. Would much rather fly directly into MCO. Can I get to Atlanta and take a shot flying standby to MCO?
Any other way than buying a ATL-MCO ticket?
I am a DM, if that makes any difference.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
I have a flight from PBI-GSP and return. I need to be in MCO the next day. Would much rather fly directly into MCO. Can I get to Atlanta and take a shot flying standby to MCO?
Any other way than buying a ATL-MCO ticket?
I am a DM, if that makes any difference.
No, I would not expect them to allow that as origin and destination must be the same. Diamonds are allowed to Stand-by/SDC to co-terminals as an unpublished benefit, but GSP and MCO are clearly not co-terminals.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
It is an unpublished benefit that DMs can SDC between co-terminals (i.e. JFK/LGA). MCO and PBI are not co-terminals though. So the only way to do this would be to pay to change your flights or hope for IROPS; during IROPS the website lets you change your destination to a handful of nearby airports, even some that are hundreds of miles away. If the website doesn't let you change to MCO, an SMS agent most likely will.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
In 1997 - my dad was able to convince the gate agent to change our ORD-MIA flight to ORD-MCO flight by telling them that he thought Disney World and the Universal Studios were in Miami, not Orlando.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
If the flight is oversold and you take a bump you can probably talk them into it!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
It never hurts to ask. I have had success in the past with GSO instead of RDU or visa versa, but was unable to get that one a couple weeks ago when I wound up in Winston-Salem and didn't want to have to drive back to Raleigh for my flight.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
In 1997 - my dad was able to convince the gate agent to change our ORD-MIA flight to ORD-MCO flight by telling them that he thought Disney World and the Universal Studios were in Miami, not Orlando.
Classic! ^
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TerryK
Classic! ^
Ya, in 1997 there were a lotta thingz ya' could do that you can't do today!

Even MORE in 1977!

Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:40 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by javabytes
It is an unpublished benefit that DMs can SDC between co-terminals (i.e. JFK/LGA). MCO and PBI are not co-terminals though.
But this can only be done on 100% domestic tickets, correct?

I have an upcoming flight : AMS-ATL-MIA-CDG-AMS, and the ATL-MIA is a relatively late arrival (close to midnight); and it would be infinitely more convenient to hope on the ATL-PBI flight which is about the same time.

I know this is doubtful, at best, but out of curiosity, are MIA/PBI/FLL considered co-terminals?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
I believe MIA and FLL are, but not PBI.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
But this can only be done on 100% domestic tickets, correct?

I have an upcoming flight : AMS-ATL-MIA-CDG-AMS, and the ATL-MIA is a relatively late arrival (close to midnight); and it would be infinitely more convenient to hope on the ATL-PBI flight which is about the same time.

I know this is doubtful, at best, but out of curiosity, are MIA/PBI/FLL considered co-terminals?
You can only SDC on "international" itineraries after all of the international segments have been flown. If a DM can SDC, the co-terminal uplublished rule should apply but on a EU-USA-EU RT, you're SOL unless IROPs happen.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can only SDC on "international" itineraries after all of the international segments have been flown. If a DM can SDC, the co-terminal uplublished rule should apply but on a EU-USA-EU RT, you're SOL unless IROPs happen.
That is also how I understood it. Since any change prior to a USA-EU return segment is subject to re-pricing by the rate desk.

This trip is pretty fixed (so it's no big deal); but I learned the hard way that if I'm flying into the USA and returning from a different city, better to book the international separate from the domestic (that is between the international segments).
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
That is also how I understood it. Since any change prior to a USA-EU return segment is subject to re-pricing by the rate desk.

This trip is pretty fixed (so it's no big deal); but I learned the hard way that if I'm flying into the USA and returning from a different city, better to book the international separate from the domestic (that is between the international segments).
You get such better fares from the EU that the loss of SDC privileges doesn't seem unreasonable, although if you're doing a complicated itinerary and probably paying separate fares for some or all of your domestic flights, getting two tickets seems sensible. The downside is two change fees if your trip is cancelled.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You get such better fares from the EU that the loss of SDC privileges doesn't seem unreasonable, although if you're doing a complicated itinerary and probably paying separate fares for some or all of your domestic flights, getting two tickets seems sensible. The downside is two change fees if your trip is cancelled.
The other downside is less protection (at least, less automatic protection) on a misconnect.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by sethb
The other downside is less protection (at least, less automatic protection) on a misconnect.
This was in reference to USA flights in between the transatlantic segments. Like AMS-CDG-MIA-ATL-BOS-AMS. Where the MIA-ATL-BOS, is in the middle, and a different day (perhaps 2-3 days) after arriving from CDG. It's frustrating to not be able to SDC different flights on the MIA-ATL-BOS segment (prior to a few days in Boston); because it's part of an international itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.