Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snarky FA on a Power Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
When I fly - mostly to Asia - I check one bag and carry on briefcase that has snacks, diabetic drugs (including a glass vial of insulin), semi-pro camera, etc. First of all I'd rather not put that bag on the dirty floor where it might be kicked by me or someone in my row. Second, I need to get to the bag during the long flight for medication, etc. and it's much more convenient to get it from the overhead. Finally, I maintain higher status so I can board early to get space to put my briefcase in the overhead.

In light of this, to be asked to move my bag to the floor is insulting and maddening in many ways. Especially if I'm expected to make room for a passenger that has a stuffed bag, large "personal item" and coat, etc.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Note to self: bring a big bag that won't fit under the seat in front of me.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Could it be that you were having a bad day?
How? It is perfectly reasonable that the OP would place his sole carryon item in the overhead. The flight attendant was out of line in asking the OP to put it underneath the seat.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
On my flight just now, FA came on intercom during boarding to say that only large bags that won't fit under the seat are allowed in OH bin. Fair or not, it seems this is the policy on some flights.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
On my flight just now, FA came on intercom during boarding to say that only large bags that won't fit under the seat are allowed in OH bin. Fair or not, it seems this is the policy on some flights.
I would ask them to show me where that rule is documented.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
I'm guessing FAs can do almost anything they want in the name of getting an on time departure. Not condoning, just noting an observation.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
I'm guessing FAs can do almost anything they want in the name of getting an on time departure. Not condoning, just noting an observation.
If we were still at the gate I would ask a redcoat to come aboard and sort it out. The only way to expose the bad employees is to call them out.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:42 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I can't help but wonder if this might have turned out differently if the OP had his DM clinker tag hanging from the bag.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
possible bad outcome

For a really bad but possible outcome . . .

While you're sitting there with your small bag under the seat, some passing pax throw their bags in on their way to their seats 20 rows back, including some small bags, to make it worse .

Then, the FA snarks, "See? I told you there wasn't room!"

But in the OP's situation, I'm impressed that the FA offered to put the bag up for him. Not quite backing down, but about as close as you can get.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Wow we have some different perspectives here. It would never cross my mind that it was being rude to put a SMALL bag up top so as to inconvenience those who want room for their EXTRA LARGE carry-ons. As a 6'0" guy I will sometimes check my "carry-on" just so that I can keep that room free for my feet. I never thought that I was being rude to put a small bag up.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Watchful
Wow we have some different perspectives here. It would never cross my mind that it was being rude to put a SMALL bag up top so as to inconvenience those who want room for their EXTRA LARGE carry-ons. As a 6'0" guy I will sometimes check my "carry-on" just so that I can keep that room free for my feet. I never thought that I was being rude to put a small bag up.
I always bring two carryons. A backpack and a pair of feet. I can affirm, I have never ever put both overhead (or on the bulkhead).
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:28 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bicostal
I always bring two carryons. A backpack and a pair of feet.
I think that's 3, isn't it?

Are you the same guy who gets 15 cans of peaches and says it's only 1 item in the express line?!?

<Lotsa snark tonite!>
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I would ask them to show me where that rule is documented.
It's called a "crewmember instruction".
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
It's called a "crewmember instruction".
Not if we are still at the gate. Until the brakes are released that aircraft still belongs to the gate agent.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
OP was wearing a Halloween costume. Perhaps a description, or better yet, a photo of the OP in costume would help us all to understand why the FA might have been peeved. Maybe I should just look at the Hall of Shame thread to see if the photo has been posted there.
It is unthinkable to me that an adult would be so attention deprived that they would wear a costume while flying. I guess I need to avoid flying on Halloween as well as the days before and after to avoid being near these needy people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.