Snarky FA on a Power Trip

Old Nov 2, 14, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz #1 Gold
Snarky FA on a Power Trip

I was on a flight this morning and I had an encounter with a flight attendant that really left me with an unpleasant boarding experience.

I boarded in Sky Priority and as I settled into my seat in an EC middle (since my companion insisted on the window seat), I placed my backpack in the overhead above the seat.

A few moments later an this FA came down the aisle and asked "whose backpack is this?" I said it was mine. The FA said that "smaller bags should be placed under the seat in front of you". With that he took my bag down and handed it to me.

My backpack is a standard size backpack and had my laptop, etc in it.

I argued that it was my only bag but he insisted that it must go under the seat in front of me, and so I complied and took my bag, but for the moment didn't put it under the seat in front of me. I was pretty sure there would be space for my bag since the flight wasn't full, so I let it ride, and mentioned that I don't want to argue over this.
He replied with snark and said I could argue all I wanted.

At this point I let it go and watched other passengers board and put their small carryons and backpacks in the overhead. I also overheard other passengers getting a similar treatment.

About 5 minutes later he came back, and seeing that there was plenty of bin space, he and offered to put my bag up, in the same overhead bin I had put it in in the first place!

I understand that bin space is at a premium, and that we can board with one carryon and one personal item and in this case I only had one carryon, but thats why I boarded early to make sure I had overhead bin space.

Maybe he was having a bad day, maybe it was because I was sitting in a middle seat, or maybe it was because I was wearing a costume (late Halloween!).

I believe that the FA was out of line with the attitude and snark he showed during the boarding process during this flight. It was completely uncalled for.
Old Nov 2, 14, 11:06 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Get his name and complain
Old Nov 2, 14, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Sometimes I think that some people in service related jobs get so jaded by problems that they tend to get snarky over time, and it takes a sit-down lecture / write-up with a supv. to remind them who's ultimately responsible for putting the money in their paychecks.

The second thing, I think, is that, for the last year or so, no matter how full or empty a flight is, they ALWAYZ make the announcement that the flight is COMPLETELY FULL, put smaller items under the seat, and not to put coats in the bins till all bags are up there - - yada yada. I think it's etched in their brains that every inch of space will be needed - which it is most of the time.
Old Nov 2, 14, 11:47 am

Programs: DL Kettle
From DL's own skypriority page:
HIGHEST BOARDING PRIORITY
Being first on the plane definitely has its advantages. Boarding in Zone SKYPRI lets you secure the best overhead bins, so you can sit back and relax before takeoff.

So much for that benefit. Wonder if they would do the same thing in the FC cabin
Old Nov 2, 14, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP can characterize the "snark" he can complain about that, although he himself says that he argued and then said that he wouldn't.

DL does not reserve OH space and there is no entitlement to it. Makes sense to keep the bags which fit under the seat under the seat until it's clear that there is space in the OH so that fewer bags are gate-checked. Delaying the flight at the last minute is a poor option.

Not relevant directly to OP's post because there was room in the end, but it would be really helpful if DL GA's strictly enforced the carry-on limits. Never a guarantee that everybody gets their compliant carry-on in the cabin, but makes it much more likely and it would give experienced travelers the comfort to board towards the end of the boarding process.
Old Nov 2, 14, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Appreciate the OP's perspective but I can see both sides of the argument here.

The reality of the situation is that the GAs and FAs at ANY airline have it hard. Pax flagrantly ignore the rules, get offended and argumentative when they are called out and make the experience unpleasant for everyone. They have it hard largely because any ounce of civility people once had when flying is gone.

I agree that if the backpack fits under the seat that's here it should be. Why potentially force a situation where people boarding later have to gate check their larger carry-ons. It's inconvenient and risks potential delays.

That said, I also agree that once boarding is complete the OP should fee free to place anything that'll fit in the remaining overhead space. I honestly don't think someone enforcing the rules is on a power trip.
Old Nov 2, 14, 12:24 pm

He put your backpack in the overhead bin in the end ..
Old Nov 2, 14, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
I agree that if the backpack fits under the seat that's [w]here it should be. Why potentially force a situation where people boarding later have to gate check their larger carry-ons. It's inconvenient and risks potential delays.
Here we go again

The OP had a single bag perhaps they checked the other bag instead of bringing on board so they could have leg room. I was just on a flight with the [email protected]#$% seat legs right in the $#@! middle of where I would put my feet. No way a bag could fit under there.

IMNSHO first bag can go in the overhead regardless.
Old Nov 2, 14, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I honestly don't think someone enforcing the rules is on a power trip.
Where is there a rule that says what types and sizes of bags someone has to put where? Here's what the OP reported that the FA did:

Originally Posted by klashn View Post
FA came down the aisle and asked "whose backpack is this?" I said it was mine. The FA said that "smaller bags should be placed under the seat in front of you". With that he took my bag down and handed it to me.
Couldn't the FA have said something like:

"Sir, would you kindly consider placing this small backpack under your seat til we see how much space is left at the end of boarding? Overhead bin space is really tight these days."

I don't think we'd see any post or complaint here from the OP if the FA had said something similar to this.
Old Nov 2, 14, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
Here we go again

The OP had a single bag perhaps they checked the other bag instead of bringing on board so they could have leg room. I was just on a flight with the [email protected]#$% seat legs right in the $#@! middle of where I would put my feet. No way a bag could fit under there.

IMNSHO first bag can go in the overhead regardless.
The overheads are NOT configured to allow every passenger to have a bag up top. I guess the OP can put a small bag in the overhead space and be inconsiderate of people boarding later or the OP could purchase a seat in EC where extra legroom is guaranteed.

If the shoe were on the other foot and the OP was boarding later and had to gate check a bad because others were tossing backpacks, coats and other small items in the overheads my guess is (s)he would be singing a different tune...as would you.

It's simple courtesy and etiquette. If it fits under the seat put it there. When the boarding door is closed you can move stuff where ever it fits.
Old Nov 2, 14, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
The overheads are NOT configured to allow every passenger to have a bag up top. I guess the OP can put a small bag in the overhead space and be inconsiderate of people boarding later or the OP could purchase a seat in EC where extra legroom is guaranteed.

If the shoe were on the other foot and the OP was boarding later and had to gate check a bad because others were tossing backpacks, coats and other small items in the overheads my guess is (s)he would be singing a different tune...as would you.

It's simple courtesy and etiquette. If it fits under the seat put it there. When the boarding door is closed you can move stuff where ever it fits.
This. It is common courtesy to give everyone a chance to get their rollaboards into the OH bins, then if there is still space, backpacks, coats, purses, etc can go up. As many other say here, FA/GA first priority is an on time departure, and having to check bags because someone insists upon putting their backpack in OH is not ideal. Even if the flight isn't full, it's still nice to wait until the end of boarding to put small items up.
Old Nov 2, 14, 12:53 pm

. . . but, FA can still be nice about it as they make this request.
Old Nov 2, 14, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Profchemnerd View Post
. . . but, FA can still be nice about it as they make this request.
You are assuming the FA was snarky just because the OP said the FA was snarky. Of course, everything everyone reports on FT is the most accurate, unmitigated truth.

It's unfair to slam the FA without understanding the FA's said on this. There are many times I've seem people (and likely myself included) claim their were being nice while the employee was rude when in fact it was the other way around.
Old Nov 2, 14, 1:44 pm

You are assuming the FA was snarky just because the OP said the FA was snarky. Of course, everything everyone reports on FT is the most accurate, unmitigated truth.

It's unfair to slam the FA without understanding the FA's said on this. There are many times I've seem people (and likely myself included) claim their were being nice while the employee was rude when in fact it was the other way around.
Agree completely. I meant it more as a general statement than accusing FA in this situation. Though, I am saddened to learn that FT is not the definitive source for factual, unbiased information.
Old Nov 2, 14, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd View Post
Agree completely. I meant it more as a general statement than accusing FA in this situation. Though, I am saddened to learn that FT is not the definitive source for factual, unbiased information.
Factual! Unbiased! What's the internet coming to? Nevertheless, I have seen an increase in the number of surly FAs lately. Don't have a hypothesis, other than every plane is full and there are no friendly skies anywhere anymore.

Search this Thread