Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

stopover/open jaw no more on US-Europe redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fti
We now know the facts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1629493-offical-delta-award-stopovers-open-jaw-gone-skymiles2015.html

Official update from Delta CORP folks to me (Delta Points):

“There are no changes to stopovers. A recent change in IT at Delta.com discontinued the ability to book intl. stopovers online. You could still book them via reservations agents. We [Delta] are working with the res agents (who handle the bulk of the bookings already) to ensure they are properly assisting customers who might.” – DELTA CORP

Also see unconfirmed brand new FTer - DLMiddleSeat post #38

Hello, I am a DL employee and was formerly in the Skymiles department before moving to a new position. I can tell you I still keep tabs on Skymiles and there is a memo that says award stopovers are still allowed but there was a glitch when they filed the fares. You have to call in to get it ticketed manually though. If the CSR say not possible refer them to the res policy update on the dlnet homepage.
Print Wikipost

stopover/open jaw no more on US-Europe redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Delta Points
I have an open-jaw award ticket. I will be flying TLV-JFK and returning ATL-TLV.

(I paid for a JFK-LAS-ATL itinerary.)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:10 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
Can someone please tell me how to search for a valid stopover? For example, LAX-MEL with stopover in Fiji. Is it possible? How would I search? Thanks much.
The stopover must be on a valid routing. Since we don't have EF access anymore you will need to call and ask if the routing rules allow for that.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
Can someone please tell me how to search for a valid stopover? For example, LAX-MEL with stopover in Fiji. Is it possible? How would I search? Thanks much.
Tahiti was/is reportedly possible using Air Tahiti Nui flights or a (better) weekly AF flight.

Does a partner serve Fiji? Can you try a dummy booking on that carrier to see whether they seem to have a published fare for something like the routing you want?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by davetravels
It's happened a number of times. Anyone else?
Yes, every time.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Tahiti was/is reportedly possible using Air Tahiti Nui flights or a (better) weekly AF flight.

Does a partner serve Fiji? Can you try a dummy booking on that carrier to see whether they seem to have a published fare for something like the routing you want?
Air Tahiti in Business is better than AF in business to be honest, I much prefer it. And I hate the 767 product on DL so it is a good comparison.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Air Tahiti in Business is better than AF in business to be honest, I much prefer it. And I hate the 767 product on DL so it is a good comparison.
No YQ on AF. DL charges YQ for Air Tahiti Nui.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:46 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Dovster
I have an open-jaw award ticket. I will be flying TLV-JFK and returning ATL-TLV.

(I paid for a JFK-LAS-ATL itinerary.)
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you include either JFK-LAS or LAS-ATL in the award ticket? The stopover is allowed for no extra charge.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:56 am

I think because he couldn't get it priced out in low.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Have the following itinerary:

SLC-LAX-BNE-CNS - VA J
SYD-LAX-SLC - DL Y (booked as peak economy award)
175k each

Am trying to add BNE-SYD leg with VA to have Sydney as a stopover. Doing so increases the price of the ticket and agent is informing me that the VA portion cannot be combined with a DL peak award. the DL award would have to be at low level.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:56 am

Partners can only be booked in low.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by brit44

SLC-LAX-BNE-CNS - VA J
175k each

Am trying to add BNE-SYD leg with VA to have Sydney as a stopover. Doing so increases the price of the ticket and agent is informing me that the VA portion cannot be combined with a DL peak award. the DL award would have to be at low level.

Delta's advanced computer system is unable to combine non-low DL awards with the partner ones, which are always low. So it will ADD the high/peak mileage of the DL award to the low partner award, instead of pricing out the whole inbound or outbound at peak.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by brit44

SLC-LAX-BNE-CNS - VA J
175k each

Why not doing SLC-LAX-BNE-SYD(stopover)-CNS then?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by fti
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you include either JFK-LAS or LAS-ATL in the award ticket? The stopover is allowed for no extra charge.
I would have been happy to but it would have meant that the "Saver" rate would not apply. I had about 155,000 SkyMiles and at the Saver rate it cost me 140,000 of them (for Biz Elite TLV-JFK-TLV and Economy ATL-JFK).

I am still hoping to be allowed to use my remaining SkyMiles to upgrade JFK-LAS but that is still up in the air.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Why not doing SLC-LAX-BNE-SYD(stopover)-CNS then?
This was 2 late addition's to a family trip. We are finishing in SYD for NYE. Just the way it is set up.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by akcae
Delta's advanced computer system is unable to combine non-low DL awards with the partner ones, which are always low. So it will ADD the high/peak mileage of the DL award to the low partner award, instead of pricing out the whole inbound or outbound at peak.
Appreciate the response. Just wanted to get a confirmation here. Silly rule really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.