Search

Waitlists and Revenue Management

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Waitlists and Revenue Management

Might be a silly question...and nobody may know the answer but I figured I'd ask anyway.

When a (let's say an international) flight has people who have applied an SWU do you think RM gets some sort of notification that the flight in question now has a Waitlist? And, does this, coupled with days-til-departure, entice them to release UG inventory if there are a large number of unsold J seats?

Random question, I know.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 355F1
Might be a silly question...and nobody may know the answer but I figured I'd ask anyway.

When a (let's say an international) flight has people who have applied an SWU do you think RM gets some sort of notification that the flight in question now has a Waitlist? And, does this, coupled with days-til-departure, entice them to release UG inventory if there are a large number of unsold J seats?

Random question, I know.
As I post every time someone asks this question. You have a better chance of winning the lotto three times in a row then figuring out how RM decides to do things. It's basically a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. I'm not sure DL RM even knows what the computer uses to decide.

There can be an empty cabin and RM won't release anything, and there can be a nearly full cabin and they release multiple seats.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I would tell you...but then I'd have to kill you.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
I would tell you...but then I'd have to kill you.
DiscoPapa: did you win the lottery?

or are you the bookie?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:15 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
entice them to release UG inventory
Well, I recently found out, that revenue management does have the POWER to release an upgrade(s) if they are given proper data-points.

Recently, there was an unfortunate (very long story) mishap with one of my reservations, in which Delta totally "dropped the ball." The eventual supervisor I was able to discuss the situation with was completely empathetic; and suggested that he could contact revenue management and see if they would release two BusinessElite (OP) seats for an upcoming transatlantic flight. He made no promises; but did call me back later that day, and said revenue management had released the seats and my reservation reflected the upgrades.

I'd say this is a rather rare occurrence; but I am happy that a Delta supervisor was able to understand the situation, and felt that some compensation was in order (they also gave me a decent amount of SkyMiles in addition to clearing the upgrades). It's also important to note that all of this was suggested and taken care of by the supervisor (the suggestion to request the OP inventory, as well as the SkyMiles). Service recovery situations like this, most definitely keep me loyal.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
RM gets all the information they want about tickets sold, certificates applied, waitlisted, etc.

They then do whatever they choose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.