Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL 295 ATL-NRT Sep 21 returns to ATL after blowing engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

I was on 295 ATL-NRT this afternoon. Shortly after takeoff I heard a very loud bang and knew instantly what had happened. I was on the UD and could see out the window the engine had gone. We stayed at 10k feet for about 45 min to dump fuel and returned to ATL.

Fortunately there's another 744 that is being prepared for us and estimated departure time is 5 pm or 3 hr 15 min delay. Nobody knows yet what will happen once we get to NRT but clearly an overnight is in store for everyone who had a connection. We'll be too late for them to hold flights or to get on OAL.

The gate area where we are waiting for the new plane is a zoo. I feel sorry for the GA and redcoat. They has brought out sandwiches and water and snacks. Some DYKWIA d-bag is talking loudly on his phone making sure eveyone knows how much he has been inconvenienced and how strenuously he is going to complain. Sure it's annoying but we're all back on the ground safely and DL is handling this as well as it can possibly be handled. If the crowd clears out I plan to hand out my supply of JWDs.

Anyone with further updates please post, nobody knows yet what will happen once we get to Narita.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:38 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I effing hate people like the DYKWIA referenced above.

I would tell him he is an idiot and that ish happens. It's just life, moron!

For the OP: I'm sorry you are delayed. Glad y'all are safe.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Another thing I forgot to mention: as soon as we touched back down I was on the phone to DL to get protected in other flights. The agent said they could no longer protect people and offered to just rebook me. I would have played phone roulette, but the pilot announced there was another plane being prepared for us so it became unnecessary to try to rebook myself.

Is it true we cannot be protected on other flights in the event of IROPs?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Looks like you are going to stop in DTW on the way. Probably for crew timing out.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Phone agents don't seem to do this anymore, but you can perform an OLCI and get Viper'd after the delay is in the system, but only if it triggers a misconnect or the flight is canceled.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Glad you are OK. This has to be a CSR nightmare. My flight 283 (744 LAX-NRT) was canceled at LAX last April and 350+ people had to wait in line for a re-ticket. Needless to say it takes a while with that many people. At least you had a new aircraft and a short delay.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Looks like you are going to stop in DTW on the way. Probably for crew timing out.
Yup, am listening to the chatter and we are going to DTW to switch pilots. Supposedly the FAs will not time out, or as one of them told me they can choose to go long for extra pay. We face approx 1h30m on the ground in DTW without deplaning. Cheryl and Pam here on the UD have handled a difficult situation very well. We're boarding and talking to the pilots and FAs to get updates.

Last edited by HongKonger; Sep 21, 2014 at 3:06 pm
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Some DYKWIA d-bag is talking loudly on his phone making sure eveyone knows how much he has been inconvenienced and how strenuously he is going to complain.
Passenger: I want to file a complaint. One of the engines on my plane exploded.

Delta Rep: I am sorry about that. We didn't realize that this would bother passengers. I am sending a strong recommendation to Virginia Avenue that we not allow future engine explosions.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PLT, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
HongKonger,

Just curious, what did the loud bang sound like? Could you tell something was wrong before that?

- no1racer
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:30 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Funny that flightaware shows BOTH DL295 in the air to NRT AND enroute to DTW! I expected one to show ATL to ATL.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL295
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:52 pm

Yah my wife, and kids + the in laws are on this flight too.

She said the engine was smoking after take off. And it was black after they deplane. Other than that, DL was pretty quick in getting a replacement plane. But funny how they have to stop at DTW to get new pilots...

I tried using flightradar 24 pro to look up this flight, but the app kept crashing.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Another thing I forgot to mention: as soon as we touched back down I was on the phone to DL to get protected in other flights. The agent said they could no longer protect people and offered to just rebook me. I would have played phone roulette, but the pilot announced there was another plane being prepared for us so it became unnecessary to try to rebook myself.

2 weeks ago JFK-NRT, mx issue kept us grounded ~3h for repairs meaning id miss my 2h30 connection window to SIN. Tweeted @DeltaAssist who instantly secured me a spot on a Singapore Air flight that was a couple hours later. Not sure if they have extra powers that the phone agents dont....
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

We're in DTW. The new pilots are coming from MSP and haven't arrived. Also there are fire trucks with lights on around our plane, the unconfirmed report from the purser is our brakes were possibly smoking after landing. No wonder they're retiring the 744s LOL. Anyway I'm taking it all in stride, that's life. The FAs have been fantastic and they don't have any more information than we pax do.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
We're in DTW. The new pilots are coming from MSP and haven't arrived. Also there are fire trucks with lights on around our plane, the unconfirmed report from the purser is our brakes were possibly smoking after landing. No wonder they're retiring the 744s LOL. Anyway I'm taking it all in stride, that's life. The FAs have been fantastic and they don't have any more information than we pax do.
Well if I was a betting man, I'd take the odds on those two planes being the retired ones. Safe travels the rest of the way.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
2 weeks ago JFK-NRT, mx issue kept us grounded ~3h for repairs meaning id miss my 2h30 connection window to SIN. Tweeted @DeltaAssist who instantly secured me a spot on a Singapore Air flight that was a couple hours later. Not sure if they have extra powers that the phone agents dont....
I think the issue was that the flight was continuing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.