Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL forces ExpertFlyer to remove ALL data pertaining to DL flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mbwmbw
Official Response from ExpertFlyer regarding Delta's ability to restrict data:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23465105-post182.html

Hi folks,

All of us here at ExpertFlyer just want to say thank you for the positive support we've been receiving, both on FT and via email.

Reading some of the posts on this thread it appears there might be some misconceptions on how airline data is distributed. To be clear, a GDS distributes airline data to its customers at the discretion of the airline. The airline-GDS contracts state that the airline controls the flow of data thru the GDS and if an airline decides that they don't want a particular GDS customer, agency or non-agency, to have their data the GDS must block data from being available to a customer if the airline asks them to. As noted in our quoted statement, Delta has already done this with many online travel agencies.

So as a practical matter, in the near term this meant that we had no choice and didn't "cave" as some have speculated, the DL information was going to be withheld with or without our participation. We continue to explore our options but for now, rightly or wrongly, the GDS-agency contracts allow for this as they have the right to modify the content made available to agencies.

We cannot comment on any future plans regarding this specific matter however we will continue to work on behalf of our customers to add as much value as possible to ExpertFlyer.

-The ExpertFlyer.com Team
Check the updated thread at (see the Wiki at the top):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...available.html

You will see that they actually used screenshots of ExpertFlyer. I'm sure someone in DL Corporate just saw this and said it's making a headache for us and not providing any additional value so shut it down.... Almost guarantee it.
Print Wikipost

DL forces ExpertFlyer to remove ALL data pertaining to DL flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:09 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I checked my EF account, and my annual $99 subscription expires on 10/8, so, I hava month to see if anything changes - I'm not really losing too much. I don't remember if the $99 auto-renews or if I hafto do it manually. I may still keep it at the lowest level, as I still use it for non-DL work stuff.

So, there's KVS & I guess ITA? Sabre at $45 a month? Not! I don't know anything about ITA. I've seen a few posts in this thread referencing ITA. Can anyone give a quick version of the difference, or make a suggestion? I really feel lost without fare bucket availability and fare rules. I wanna sign up for SOMETHING ASAP! I'm thinking about my usual int'l trips, and I feel like a blind person without the info! I hope that's not a politically incorrect analogy, but, I feel certain that others here feel the same way.

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Way apples and oranges.

In that case the party was trying to use data that was being made available to them.

In this case, DL is no longer making the data available to EF. Is there any law that requires DL to sell (or give) EF the data? No.
Wrong. DL never made the data available to EF. They made it available to the GDS, and they still do. The GDS makes it available to whomever will pay for it, including EF. I'm surprised the GDS didn't push back at DL.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by davetravels
I checked my EF account, and my annual $99 subscription expires on 10/8, so, I hava month to see if anything changes - I'm not really losing too much. I don't remember if the $99 auto-renews or if I hafto do it manually. I may still keep it at the lowest level, as I still use it for non-DL work stuff.

So, there's KVS & I guess ITA? Sabre at $45 a month? Not! I don't know anything about ITA. I've seen a few posts in this thread referencing ITA. Can anyone give a quick version of the difference, or make a suggestion? I really feel lost without fare bucket availability and fare rules. I wanna sign up for SOMETHING ASAP! I'm thinking about my usual int'l trips, and I feel like a blind person without the info! I hope that's not a politically incorrect analogy, but, I feel certain that others here feel the same way.

ITA is just the backend for Google Flights. It will only show fares that are actively for sale (though it does a very good job of that, and has very nice customizable search options). It will NOT show fare bucket availability, seat maps, or other stuff like EF.

If DL is truly going after all of the services that display fare bucket information, there might not be any good options left other than calling a DL agent and wasting everyone's time. The horrible part is that I'm sure those length-of-call metrics will end up making the call center frontline look bad, rather than sending a message to DL that changes like this are a kick in the pants to their better-informed customers.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
This is all about offering different fares to different customers online to extract the maximum amount from each and every customer based upon their perceived ability to pay. Obviously this can only be done by driving customers exclusively to the airline's own website and removing any fare visibility on 3rd party sites. Delta is at the forefront of this consumer unfriendly action, but as in any good oligopoly all the others will follow suit soon enough.
This was my thought exactly. Soon based on your cookies, history, credit info and whatever else they have stored up about you you are going to get different quotes for the exact same flights with the exact same theoretical amount of availability even searching at the exact same time. A DM who spends a fair bit will get a higher price because they know you'll probably pay, someone who they've pegged as price-conscious will pay the minimum, even if they are searching the same flight at the same time. This should be illegal but they will get away with it.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by HongKonger
This was my thought exactly. Soon based on your cookies, history, credit info and whatever else they have stored up about you you are going to get different quotes for the exact same flights with the exact same theoretical amount of availability even searching at the exact same time. A DM who spends a fair bit will get a higher price because they know you'll probably pay, someone who they've pegged as price-conscious will pay the minimum, even if they are searching the same flight at the same time. This should be illegal but they will get away with it.
I would hope that they realize the difference between me booking expensive last minute flights with Concur and my extremely cheap vacation flights that I book on Delta.com.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by davetravels

KVS is what you'd want. For now. Be sure to review their subscription levels as the information you get varies.

ITA won't help you much. It basically lets you price itineraries, and not a whole lot else. No availability displays, etc.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I'm assumimng you have heard of IATA resolution 787? Delta getting ready early I guess. DL does not want you to know if the fares they are offering are pricing correctly or not either
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
As another data point, here is the response I got from my second email when we recently lost access to DL's OP inventory:

"We apologize for any confusion with our previous response. We do not provide the number of seats available for any upgrade, including mileage, certificate and complimentary upgrades. If you need any additional assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Dr. Xeno, your comments are instrumental to the improvement of our overall service. I realize you have a choice in airlines and I would like to thank you for your longstanding support as Diamond Medallion and an almost two Million Miler."
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by worldspan
Airline arrogance at its worst! I think its time for another recession!

Worldspan
Naples, Fla
LOL...preach it brother!!!

^^^
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Oh, this is rich. I tweet @DeltaAssist to see if there is OP inventory for a GUC. Here's the response:

Pls ctc the Diamond Medallion Desk at 877-220-6888 to check on award seat availability. *DH
Are you kidding me? It's a yes/no answer.

My response:

@DeltaAssist OK, DL. @AmericanAir, Would you let me know via Twitter if I could use one of your system-wide upgrades on a flight?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
Oh, this is rich. I tweet @DeltaAssist to see if there is OP inventory for a GUC. Here's the response:

My response:
Must be dependent on who at DeltaAssist you get. I've been sending very complex questions about availability and have been getting detailed answers back from them without calling the DM line.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Some responses - this guy is getting snarky:

I can't speak on behalf of AA, but I don't think they accept are upgrade certificates. *DH
AA, meanwhile, has said they'd be happy to help. Which has prompted Mr. DH to begin checking availability for me. Really makes me feel valued.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by DeltaWings

Quote:
Pls ctc the Diamond Medallion Desk at 877-220-6888 to check on award seat availability. *DH

This is what I get from @DeltaAssist which underscores DL lack of willingness to help us on any front when it comes to searching for OP inventory for SWU/SM.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Very sad development. I just canceled my EF subscription as well.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Scraping other lists to create an aggregate list is older than the web. It's also done for news headline sites and a variety of "deals" sites.

Where this gets messy is that Delta is the only source that can originate Delta flight and fare information. Delta is not a third-party in this situation. It's a first-party information source and producer of its flight "product." It can put all sorts of obstacles in the way of others re-purposing its own information, legal (legit or threat) and structural.

(I'm reminded -- and this is not a direct parallel -- of map makers and dictionary publishers who purposely would include a fake town or a fake word definition just to see who was copying their content without permission. Let's hope airlines don't go down that path.)

I'm not arguing in favor of what Delta has done. I think they've gone over the control-freak cliff, and it will affect my upcoming travel on Delta because I value information transparency in making plans. I'm just pointing out that Delta has the ultimate control over how easy they make it for others to access its information and how many workarounds are required. ExpertFlyer may have simply been an easy target.
They pull that data directly from the sites that are selling the product. Perhaps you should read their FAQs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.