Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL forces ExpertFlyer to remove ALL data pertaining to DL flights

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 9, 14, 11:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mbwmbw
Wiki Link
Official Response from ExpertFlyer regarding Delta's ability to restrict data:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23465105-post182.html

Hi folks,

All of us here at ExpertFlyer just want to say thank you for the positive support we've been receiving, both on FT and via email.

Reading some of the posts on this thread it appears there might be some misconceptions on how airline data is distributed. To be clear, a GDS distributes airline data to its customers at the discretion of the airline. The airline-GDS contracts state that the airline controls the flow of data thru the GDS and if an airline decides that they don't want a particular GDS customer, agency or non-agency, to have their data the GDS must block data from being available to a customer if the airline asks them to. As noted in our quoted statement, Delta has already done this with many online travel agencies.

So as a practical matter, in the near term this meant that we had no choice and didn't "cave" as some have speculated, the DL information was going to be withheld with or without our participation. We continue to explore our options but for now, rightly or wrongly, the GDS-agency contracts allow for this as they have the right to modify the content made available to agencies.

We cannot comment on any future plans regarding this specific matter however we will continue to work on behalf of our customers to add as much value as possible to ExpertFlyer.

-The ExpertFlyer.com Team
Check the updated thread at (see the Wiki at the top):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...available.html

You will see that they actually used screenshots of ExpertFlyer. I'm sure someone in DL Corporate just saw this and said it's making a headache for us and not providing any additional value so shut it down.... Almost guarantee it.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 31, 14, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Changes to Delta Data Visibility on ExpertFlyer

This is not encouraging:

http://www.expertflyer.com/page.jsp?...l_changes.html

Time to use that feedback button...
Old Aug 31, 14, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Got an email from EF... no more availability, seat maps, anything DL.

Dear javabytes,

As a user of ExpertFlyer® with an Active Alert for Delta Air Lines®, we want you to know about a recent change. As of today, Delta has requested that we no longer offer to you any information on ExpertFlyer pertaining to Delta. As such, all of your Alerts for Delta will be set to Expired as to not count against your active alert limit.

Since our inception almost 10 years ago we have accessed Delta information through a GDS where they publish information for the benefit of various travel providers. We have always done this with the full knowledge and tacit approval of Delta. However, there now appears to be a change of thinking at Delta where this is no longer the case. As a result, we will no longer display Delta information in any of our Tools, including Flight Availability, Upgrades, Seat Maps, Fare Information, Flights Status, Flight Details, and Flight Timetables.

To be clear, this action is not unique to ExpertFlyer. Delta has recently been removing their data from many websites, both booking and non-booking, in an attempt to force as many travelers as possible to only use delta.com and their apps for Delta information. In our many conversations with Delta it was made clear to us that their new policy is that any service or website that is not explicitly authorized to show Delta data will be forced to stop, especially any that screen scrape data from Delta.com or any Delta partner or agency website.

Our many attempts to forge a new agreement for the display of this information on ExpertFlyer with Delta have been rejected. We believe, and have explained to them, that ExpertFlyer brought value to Delta's best customers and by extension to Delta itself. We hope in the future Delta will come to see the net value that ExpertFlyer gives to them as you have already discovered. Should you wish to express your thoughts on this matter to Delta, you can reach customer support here:

Delta Email Feedback

You may also send a copy of any feedback you send to ExpertFlyer at [email protected] and we can pass it along to our contacts at Delta.

On a positive note, we will be announcing the addition of a major new airline for Awards & Upgrade searching and alerting in the very near future. We will make the announcement at the time new airline award data has been added.

Thank you for your continued support of ExpertFlyer.
-The ExpertFlyer.com Team
Old Aug 31, 14, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Very disappointing.

Upgrades were one thing.

Now, no seat alerts? No way to easily check SDC availability?

Another example of RA having our back and sticking a knife into it. Unbelievable.

I'm going to send about 100 e-mails in the next few weeks.
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Platnium
Wow. Another great "enhancement". Using EF was so much easier for checking availability for SDCs. And on complex int'l itins to check availability segment by segment was nice.

Really don't see any motive for DL to do this. Definitely will send in an email.

Old Aug 31, 14, 11:00 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
This is absurd! I always use EF when doing a SDC and if my fare class isn't showing up, I don't call Delta and set an alert and if I get an alert I call and SDC.

This was saving Delta agents a lot of time. Maybe I should start calling every 10 minutes when I want to SDC to keep seeing if my fare class has opened up.

I'm getting ready to send in a complaint. I'm sure it will be the usual canned language stating they listened to feedback from their customer
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:03 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Hopefully Delta and EF can work out an agreement. I see no reason to keep the subscription. I mainly fly Delta now and my wife is mostly Delta with some Southwest flights and EF is useless for WN.
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds View Post
Hopefully Delta and EF can work out an agreement. I see no reason to keep the subscription. I mainly fly Delta now and my wife is mostly Delta with some Southwest flights and EF is useless for WN.
I'm not optimistic. EF is but one casualty in DL's war on informed consumers.
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
What does DL gain but not allowing us to look at anything?
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How much is EF charging consumers for providing access to DL's proprietary data and how much was EF paying DL for that data?
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, .99MM, GE, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
We can probably expect the next DL actions to be:

1. Limiting the number of calls you can make to DL and/or charging for calls such as some VLCC's do. (Vueling comes to mind).
2. Removing data from DL.dumb that "just confuses" the customer.
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow I just got the email and I'm really PO'd. This is beyond absurd. Now we can't even check flights for SDC options or look at seat maps. Seriously Delta? 100% pure ANTI CONSUMER move. So is anyone here going to defend DL for this one, saying we can simply call agents and ask for all of this info that helps us decide what we can try to book for flights and SDC?
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not like you can find info in delta.dumb or that the info you do find will be accurate.

For example, right now I have an itinerary where I can't check seat assignments or seat maps on the website right now because there's some glitch that causes it to crash, I see different seat assignments on the app depending on whether I look on my iPad or iPhone, and I just got an email inviting me to check in that shows yet another different seat assignment which is very undesirable. Unbelievable! At least EF would have enabled me to see which seats are occupied on the flight as a partial check.
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Not only that, I find it faster to check seat maps on EF than on the craptastically slow DL website Same with finding fares and flight inventory so I can decide ahead what I want to book without trying to fish throug hthe piles of different flights/routes that DL gives me that I don't want.

Who wants to bet we're just going to get the same canned bogus responses to complaints?
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:53 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Nice timing to dump this on Sunday of a holiday weekend.

I don't understand the reason for the change; EF users are probably a small percentage of flyers and all this does is to create more calls into the call centers, which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a cost perspective.
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
I bet less than .1% of Delta flyers use EF. They have no reason to care about the few 'gamers' that use EF to pkan an SDC or use a seat alert. In fact they're probably hoping more people will just pay for a better seat when stuck in the middle seat.

Search this Thread