Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N515CR
Please follow discussions the 757-200s here for details: The Official 757-200 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

or the entire DL NB fleet here: Delta Airlines Narrowbody Fleet Updates Master Thread
Print Wikipost

Is Delta actually upgrading the 757s?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Is Delta actually upgrading the 757s?

From January:

"The 49 modified domestic aircraft will feature a layout of 20 First Class seats, 29 Economy Comfort seats and 150 Economy seats. The remaining seven 757-200 international aircraft will have a configuration of 18 First Class seats, 28 Economy Comfort seats and 151 Economy seats."

What is the schedule for this? Now that the A330 upgrades are all complete, what is the next fleet getting the "face lift"?

Or... has Delta abandoned this project because of the 737-900ER arrival?

Also, has anyone seen what a layout with 28 EC seats would look like? On a 3-3 plane, I assume they'd have 2 rows of just 2 seats in the front to get from 24 to 28?

Plus, does only 20 first class seats mean slightly more room given the 22-24 seat layout they currently have?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
From January:

"The 49 modified domestic aircraft will feature a layout of 20 First Class seats, 29 Economy Comfort seats and 150 Economy seats. The remaining seven 757-200 international aircraft will have a configuration of 18 First Class seats, 28 Economy Comfort seats and 151 Economy seats."

What is the schedule for this? Now that the A330 upgrades are all complete, what is the next fleet getting the "face lift"?

Also, has anyone seen what a layout with 28 EC seats would look like? On a 3-3 plane, I assume they'd have 2 rows of just 2 seats in the front to get from 24 to 28?

Plus, does only 20 first class seats mean slightly more room given the 22-24 seat layout they currently have?
I don't know the schedule, but it's still happening. This was announced after the 739s were purchased. There's also a refresh for the A320 and A 319 fleet planned.

Haven't seen the layout for sure, but I believe there were some guessed floating around. There will be Economy Comfort in front of door 2L, in place of some of the former F seats. So probably no additional room for the remaining FC cabin.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
From January:

Plans are still in place, but no aircraft have been modified yet. The following domestic aircraft will be modded in these three different configurations:

Domestic
  • 685-699
  • 5652-5657
  • 6700-6717

Hawaii
  • 5634-5638
  • 5644-5649

Interport
  • 5639-5643
  • 5650-5651
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by Delta 764
Plans are still in place, but no aircraft have been modified yet. The following domestic aircraft will be modded in these three different configurations:

Domestic
  • 685-699
  • 5652-5657
  • 6700-6717

Hawaii
  • 5634-5638
  • 5644-5649

Interport
  • 5639-5643
  • 5650-5651
I assume that Domestic is the 18F, 28EC configuration and "Interport" is the Transcon, right?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:15 am

I assume that Domestic is the 18F, 28EC configuration and "Interport" is the Transcon, right?
Other way around. Interport (NRT-Asia/Pacific) will be getting 18F. Domestic and Hawaii will get 20F
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
Other way around. Interport (NRT-Asia/Pacific) will be getting 18F. Domestic and Hawaii will get 20F
Got it, so unless you fly within Asia, "interport" means nothing to you, right?

For Domestic 757s, the new (and finally consolidated) floor plan will have 20F, right?

Any idea at all when Delta will even be starting this? I'm getting tired of flying on on NW 757s with either no TVs or the VERY OLD TVs in the ceiling.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Personally I don't mind it taking longer... better to have the additional F seats and chance of upgrade (and better P/A fare availability) than 4-6 less up front and more sardine in the back.

I wonder if the interport ones will keep their enhanced 40" that they currently have, or go to the tight domestic 37". Dropping 6 seats on those is a bummer as well for availability.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I think DL scales down its retrofit work during the summer. It runs quite a few additional flights during the summer, and combine that with employee vacations, it's probably all hands on deck with routine maintenance. Optional procedures are held until things settle down in the Fall.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by rylan
Personally I don't mind it taking longer... better to have the additional F seats and chance of upgrade (and better P/A fare availability) than 4-6 less up front and more sardine in the back.
Exactly...not to mention everytime DL refits a cabin the remaining F seats are much more cramped.

It's 2014.....are there really that many people that don't load their own entertainment on a personal mobile device? Sheesh.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by hockeystl

It's 2014.....are there really that many people that don't load their own entertainment on a personal mobile device? Sheesh.
One thing DL views as a deal breaker against removing in-seat IFE is the early window content. Hollywood will never allow such content to be streamed to passengers' devices because the piracy risks are too severe, since somebody will likely find ways to record and store such content onto their device.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Exactly...not to mention everytime DL refits a cabin the remaining F seats are much more cramped.

There are still some pluses of using AVOD.

1) Not everyone and especially young children have their own tablets.
2) Batteries don't last forever when streaming video using Delta Studio
3) Watching football on Saturday flights on ESPN
4) Moving map
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:36 am

I don't consider the changes to the 757 an upgrade. I hope they come after the Airbus modifications.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR

4) Moving map
1) I rip DVDs into MP4 format and drop them into my phone. Or just purchase on Amazon or iTunes and copy to phone. No tablet needed.
2) $30 RavPower pack will charge a phone 4-5 times or a tablet 2-3 times. This is another one that boggles the mind. People will spend $500+ on a tablet then not shell out for a juice pack.
3) Valid point. But who travels on Saturdays during CFB season
4) Arrival time via DL app is all I need.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:35 pm

1) I rip DVDs into MP4 format and drop them into my phone. Or just purchase on Amazon or iTunes and copy to phone. No tablet needed.
2) $30 RavPower pack will charge a phone 4-5 times or a tablet 2-3 times. This is another one that boggles the mind. People will spend $500+ on a tablet then not shell out for a juice pack.
3) Valid point. But who travels on Saturdays during CFB season
4) Arrival time via DL app is all I need.
1) I was thinking for kids or those who are not gadget friendly. I really only watch TV on the screens now. I'm either playing mindless games or watching something on my tablet.
2) Never thought to get a power pack. But, I've only been in a position where I really needed one once. Usually, I'm close enough to an outlet or USB port.
3) We agree .
4) I like knowing where my plane is. But, the app is better for calculating the arrival time.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL-DM/2MM, MR-Plat, HH-Gold, Hertz-Prezi Club, Marriott-Gold, MHC
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR

4) Moving map
+1 on #3, although sky clubs do not have the same atmosphere as a good tailgate at Virginia Tech home games!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.