Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta is experimenting with new boarding processes (order of boarding))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Searched, but didn't see any threads on this. Please lock if I missed it.

I fly a lot (PM), and this afternoon I flew from ATL to JFK at 1:45PM. The GA announced that they would be experimenting with a new boarding process. From what I could tell, there were only two differences from the current system:

1 - DMs now board with first, and not with sky
2 - It seems people who gate checked their bag also got some kind of advantage when it came to boarding.

Has anybody else experienced this? Even though I'm a PM and it would put me a little further back in the queue, I like this system better. Having DM/PM/GM all board at the same time is a complete mess. Glad they're finally doing something about it. At boarding they had a card to give them feedback for this new system.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Personally, I'd like to see First, then DM-PM, them GM-FO.

On most flights, First and DM-PM should be about the same size. GM-
FO would be the next biggest chunk, followed by Zone 1, then Zone 2 & 3.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL GM
I'm PM and get upgraded most of the time, so I find it hard to believe that boarding DM with PREM will thin the SKY boarding zone herd very much. It seems more like a DM consolation prize for missed upgrades when they occur.

I've heard that AS is doing something similar in regards to rewarding non-elite customers with priority boarding in return for giving up their (already huge) carry on bags. This will ease the pain for those boarding in zone 2 and higher, but will likely just further frustrate FO and DL Amex customers looking for an elite boarding experience in zone 1.

Both changes appear to be putting the same coins in new piles. Just my two cents.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ledfish
Personally, I'd like to see First, then DM-PM, them GM-FO.

On most flights, First and DM-PM should be about the same size. GM-
FO would be the next biggest chunk, followed by Zone 1, then Zone 2 & 3.
I agree with you fully, but I feel like there is an inferiority complex about GM, for whatever reason. I think Delta is worried about alienating them by separating them too far from the PMs.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Well I flew MCI-DTW-DAY this morning and saw no evdience of this new procedure
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by WWGuy
I'm PM and get upgraded most of the time, so I find it hard to believe that boarding DM with PREM will thin the SKY boarding zone herd very much. It seems more like a DM consolation prize for missed upgrades when they occur.
I'm PM and get upgraded about 20% of the time. Flying out of ATL on a Monday morning with 60+ elites on a flight, this could make a big difference for the DMs.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
I'm PM and get upgraded about 20% of the time. Flying out of ATL on a Monday morning with 60+ elites on a flight, this could make a big difference for the DMs.
Just curious... What's the "big difference" if you (we) still board in the first elite Y group and don't have to fight for bin space with zone 1 and higher?

Seems like this will lead to more queuing confusion near the gate too.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
I was thinking the same thing with the SLC/YYC and reverse flight. There are a lot of DM's on the flight (let alone elites). More than the 12 seats in F (and there are paid F and award F customers as well). Its not uncommon for me to be in EC.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
I did ATL-PHX and here is what they announced:

1) family with child in arms only (she said if the child is not in arms...board with your zone)
2) people needing extra times
3) PREM (she said that's first class only...and insisted)
4) SKY
5) Zone 1, 2, etc
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by gtm3
Searched, but didn't see any threads on this. Please lock if I missed it.

I fly a lot (PM), and this afternoon I flew from ATL to JFK at 1:45PM. The GA announced that they would be experimenting with a new boarding process. From what I could tell, there were only two differences from the current system:

1 - DMs now board with first, and not with sky
2 - It seems people who gate checked their bag also got some kind of advantage when it came to boarding.

Has anybody else experienced this? Even though I'm a PM and it would put me a little further back in the queue, I like this system better. Having DM/PM/GM all board at the same time is a complete mess. Glad they're finally doing something about it. At boarding they had a card to give them feedback for this new system.
You mean like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls6R...ObRy1xbY2b6x0w
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would love to see DL tease out the SKY boarding by elite level. Not because I'm some DYKWIA but because when 1/3 - 1/2 of the entire plane is elite (as was the case last night on my JAX-ATL flight the second they call SKY everyone rushes the gate to make sure they get their overhead space. There were a number of DMs who did not get UGs last night. it is what it is but I nearly got knocked down by people rushing the gate then they called Sky Priority. It's just a mess on many flights. When everyone is elite (as with many DL flights), no one is elite.

As much as I hate to say it, WN has a very dignified boarding process. Assigning everyone a number and then having people line up by number creates a much simpler boarding process with no one rushing the gate. UA has also moved to create gate queues for zones 1 - 4 where people are asked to line up in their queue. Seems to control the herds a bit.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
As much as I hate to say it, WN has a very dignified boarding process. Assigning everyone a number and then having people line up by number creates a much simpler boarding process with no one rushing the gate. UA has also moved to create gate queues for zones 1 - 4 where people are asked to line up in their queue. Seems to control the herds a bit.
Indeed. How times have changed. Due to a decade or more of the legacy airlines racing each other to the bottom, WN, with its more orderly boarding, extra inch of seat pitch in Y, free bags, and more liberal ticket changes, is now one of the premium airlines for most coach pax.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'm betting at some point in the future you will see a popup at OLCI or at the kiosk asking you to enter your opening bid for boarding position...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Back in April on an ATL-LAX flight they called DM after F and gave us a comment card. There were are least 3 other DMs who boarded with me.

I believe they were doing all the Medallion levels separately -- that would probably delay things a bit. I could live with groupings of levels.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I would love to see DL tease out the SKY boarding by elite level. Not because I'm some DYKWIA but because when 1/3 - 1/2 of the entire plane is elite (as was the case last night on my JAX-ATL flight the second they call SKY everyone rushes the gate to make sure they get their overhead space. There were a number of DMs who did not get UGs last night. it is what it is but I nearly got knocked down by people rushing the gate then they called Sky Priority. It's just a mess on many flights. When everyone is elite (as with many DL flights), no one is elite.

^ +1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.