Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta is experimenting with new boarding processes (order of boarding))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is experimenting with new boarding processes (order of boarding))

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sousaphil
As far as #2, the root cause is scarcity of overhead bin space. The current baggage pricing structure has the scarcest space available for the lowest price (free)! First checked bags (under 50lbs) should be free for everyone. Carry on luggage that gets placed in the overhead should be $25 for regular passengers, free for elites.
Personally I think that if they go to charging for carry-ons, the elites need to get hit with that charge too. Quite frankly, from what I've seen they're as guilty as anyone else with the amount they drag on, especially those that are the die-hard will not check a bag period types.

And until the airline is willing to guarantee that my bag full of camera gear is going to show up not broken and not stolen on the other end, charging for the carry-on is an idiotic idea.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Sousaphil
As far as #2, the root cause is scarcity of overhead bin space. The current baggage pricing structure has the scarcest space available for the lowest price (free)! First checked bags (under 50lbs) should be free for everyone. Carry on luggage that gets placed in the overhead should be $25 for regular passengers, free for elites.
Elites already have first checked bag free. Why aren't they checking in their bags? It's a win win for airlines to collect baggage fees for all checked bags and if people don't check as many bags, they don't need to staff that side of the business as much. They should make it a reward program where you get a better seat for discounted price if you check your bag.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I only travel on DL a couple times a year but as a UNITED flyer I find the DL boarding process simple and appealing. I really like being in zone 1 when purchasing EC. It gives me a shot at the OHB.

At the same time I can understand DM not wanting to board with FO.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
DL1223, ATL-SEA yesterday, guy comes up and says they're testing a new baggage policy. You could turn your rollaboard into him and it would be placed by DL in the bin above your seat.
Did you have KM tags on your bag?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I would be happy if they would just pre-board all FTers (so we could meet each other and drink up all the free PDB's) and then just board everyone else in free-for-all fashion. That would speed up boarding if you believe the results of the test NW ran many years ago where they determined that random boarding was fastest.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:08 pm

Wait a second...people who check bags get to board first?
Why would you want to?

The only reason to board first is to get space for your bag. If you've checked bags and don't need the space, why on earth would you want to board first and spend another 15-20 minutes on the plane? If I don't have a carry on, I'm the last person to board.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
You must be a technical oriented person (it's okay, as an engineer, I'm one too). But I've been taught "perception is reality". It's all about what people "perceive". The average person, right or wrong, is not going to perceive "Zone 3" out of 5 or 6 zones as "priority". Tell them it's "Zone 1" though, and all of the sudden it's "Priority", even if zone is the third or fourth group to board.
Yup, you got that right.

We could jam that whole group into Zone 2, but then everyone else on the plane will end up boarding too (because so many people are getting on at once)
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:13 am

On my JFK-LAX flight yesterday the gate agent, before calling zone Sky asked for all those in Zones 2 and 3 to line up to one side of the roped off general boarding lane so they didn't block the other lane and they wouldn't try to board out of zone as she didn't indicate that they would be lining up and waiting for Sky and Zone 1
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL, UA
I know I'm in the minority here being a lowly silver, but it annoys me to no end that anyone can spend a ~$95 annual fee on a amex but fly once a year and have basically the same benefits as me. So far I've flown 40,000 BIS miles this year but still have to compete with half the plane in zone 1, the majority of which seem to be on their first flight of the year and only are there because of AMEX. While I'll probably make gold this year, if I didn't there would be absolutely no reason for me to remain loyal to delta if I could just pick up the AMEX card for a small fee. Zone 1 just sucks.

/rant over
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by tmapian
I know I'm in the minority here being a lowly silver, but it annoys me to no end that anyone can spend a ~$95 annual fee on a amex but fly once a year and have basically the same benefits as me. So far I've flown 40,000 BIS miles this year but still have to compete with half the plane in zone 1, the majority of which seem to be on their first flight of the year and only are there because of AMEX. While I'll probably make gold this year, if I didn't there would be absolutely no reason for me to remain loyal to delta if I could just pick up the AMEX card for a small fee. Zone 1 just sucks.

/rant over
At least they only get to board with you on one flight per year. If they were flying 24,000 miles per year it would be much worse (for you).
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by tmapian

/rant over
I can't tell you how to feel but as an FO, here's what my AmEx doesn't get me:
- A 30% UG success rate (I realize this will vary from person to person depending on routes and travel days)
- A 25% mileage bonus (moving to 40% over general members next year)
- Two free checked bags (well, if you're an FO AND have a DL branded AmEx)
- Complimentary "Preferred Seating" (which means exit rows)
- Complimentary access to EC at T-24 and a discount if booked in advance
- Priority Phone line
- Use of Skypriority check-in and security at certain airports

So the only perk that an AmEx holder gets that does affect you or any other FO is "Zone 1" boarding (creating a larger Zone 1 than if there was no "Zone 1" given to AmEx holders). Other than that, it's not like an AmEx holder is taking anyway. Thankfully I too will make GM for 2015, which is a pretty nice bump from Silver (I was GM for 2013, dropped back to FO for 2014), but still find FO worthwhile enough to maintain at least FO year to year.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Saw this in ATL Friday...slightly different...at least two gates boarded

- Pre-board
- FC and DM
- Sky
- Anybody with no bag
- Carry-on toting Zones.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by relangford
While AmEx may advertise Zone 1 boarding, as soon as the AmEx card holder lines up, he/she finds out it is the third to board. Other than the first time this happens, the CC holder then knows "Zone 1" ain't the first zone! Make Zone 1 the F cabin; Zone 2 DMs, PMs, and GMs; Zone 3 FOs (yeah, me!), the AmEx holders, etc. I really doubt AmEx holders will get rid of their cards just because they have to wait as they do now anyway for Zone 1. AmEx could rationalize this with something like: "board right after First Class and SkyTeam elites".
Yes because Zone ONE should be the THIRD zone to board ... someone at DL needs to comprehend basic math. I like your solution... mathematically correct, what a concept. Was a longtime NW/DL flier and got used to the gate lice syndrome at both airlines... I agree with other posters that when more than one-half of the airplane has "status" (feeling really "elite" over here, lol) everyone is given a reason to jockey for position during boarding so they can get their stuff stored. I am constantly amazed at how orderly the AA process usually is, relatively speaking... it seems to me that when 1/2-2/3 of the airplane isn't on an UG list everyone seems to much more relaxed during the boarding process.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by danielchee
Elites already have first checked bag free. Why aren't they checking in their bags? It's a win win for airlines to collect baggage fees for all checked bags and if people don't check as many bags, they don't need to staff that side of the business as much. They should make it a reward program where you get a better seat for discounted price if you check your bag.
So you want to have a program that encourages checking bags vs carry-on? Reasons for not checking bags include…

-- With carry-on, inflight access to laptop/work materials/etc
-- No waiting for the carousel. And waiting. And waiting. And…
-- No worry that bag or contents will be lost, misplaced, stolen, or destroyed
-- DL would eliminate FO status because FO’s could no longer carry the bags of DM’s
-- Because we don’t have to

If more pax checked bags, there would be much more #3 above. It will cause more delays and increase backups at the claim office. And if they give you a fare discount for checking a bag, don’t you think they will make up that revenue somewhere else? Just where would that come from, maybe higher checked bag fees?

Interesting idea but seems to me if this is an issue, DL could just go the way of UA and enforce the sizer. That would open up a lot of o/h space. At least begin there and see what happens.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Introducing the Luxury Boarding Zone

1. Passengers needing extra time.
Those passengers needing a little extra time down the jetway and onto the aircraft are welcome to board at this time.

2. First Class
Passengers seating in our First Class cabin are welcome to board now or at anytime through the SkyPriority line.

3. The Luxury Zone
The lights in the gate area dim. Soft spotlights above the SkyPriority queue illuminate. The SkyPriority rug lights up. The gate agent announces:

Ladies and gentlemen we are now boarding The Luxury Zone. The Luxury Zone is reserved for our Diamond Medallion passengers. Diamond Medallion passengers you are now welcome to board. All other passengers please look at them in awe and clap. Please note their metal-clanking Diamond Medallion bag tags; their pot bellies from eating too much airline food; and how they have no apparent life outside their beloved mileage club. Ladies and gentlemen, let's here it for the Diamonds.

4. SkyPriority
The gate area lights are turned back on. The soft spotlights above the SkyPriority queue are turned off as well as the lighted SkyPriority rug.

SkyPriority is now welcome to board. Those passenger with SKY noted in the zone field on their boarding pass are now welcome to join. SkyPriority boarding is for passengers who are Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion members in Delta's award-winning Sky Miles program. SkyPriority passengers, you are now welcome to join.

5. Zone 1
We will now continue with passengers in Zone 1. Please take a look at your boarding pass. If you have the number one in the zone field you may board now. All other passengers will be asked to board with the zone number on their boarding pass.

6. Zone 2
Zone 2 is now welcome to board.

7. Zone 3
Zone 3, passengers traveling with fake "therapy dogs", and any other passengers who have not boarded are welcome and encouraged to board at this time for an on-time departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.