Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Want to share your arrival on Facebook?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to share your arrival on Facebook?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:24 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Some of us are vagabonds so no fear of someone breaking in to our house
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by mother-
(I'm guessing if you dislike social media, you're not in the Tumblr/Grindr set)
Just how in the card catalog of your mind do Tumblr and Grindr get lumped into the same group?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by plagwate
Just how in the card catalog of your mind do Tumblr and Grindr get lumped into the same group?
Tindr, sorry
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by WIRunner
There *is* a spot to add your twitter name.
But that actually has a use for @DLAssist.

I actually use FB quite a bit, but still hate the DL app notifying me to share my arrival. Like others, if I want to share that one for some reason, I will do it of my own accord.

What really grinds my gears, though, is that that seems to be the only app notification that actually works consistently and on time, every time. Delays or gate changes? If I get notified at all by the app it's usually hours (or even days) later...

Priorities, DL IT...priorities.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
I'd do it if they #guaranteed to pick me up in a Porsche every time!

Then I'd even take a photo and post it!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
This. I don't like to advertise personal information or details, as there is enough already out there and available. However, it is up to the pax to decide if they want to advertise their every move. I don't think DL should be asking every time I land however. If someone wants to go post where they're at, they can do it on their own... or make it a setting in the app so I don't get asked every time.
Exactly. I don't show my driver's license to TSA, I never talk about future travel plans in a public place, and I certainly don't want DL to announce when I'm out of town or when and where I'm likely to be traveling driving or using public transportation at an odd hour.

Plus, surely some DL customers have had problems with stalkers or domestic abuse.

Would DL openly post when their employees leave work by name and location or which flights their
crew are scheduled to work and when and where each crew member has just landed?

I'm almost surprised that DL's risk management people aren't concerned that they could be sued if posting someone's whereabouts leads to a robbery, assault, or kidnapping.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 18, 2014 at 10:06 am
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mother-
And travel a lot and have friends and relatives who travel a lot and also friends all over who may or may not be busy...

That said, I've never wanted the Delta app to let people know I've landed.

So you like eating alone and drinking with strangers in the hotel bar?
(I'm guessing if you dislike social media, you're not in the Tindr/Grindr set)
No I don't like eating alone (but that is a negative of traveling for business) and I don't drink with strangers at the bar or anywhere else. I don't know what Tindr/Grindr are, but don't mind if you do. I also don't like cyber bullies, I do like kind and compassionate people however!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm almost surprised that DL's risk management people aren't concerned that they could be sued if posting someone's whereabouts leads to a robbery, assault, or kidnapping.
That's why it asks. Your case would be pretty hard to win after DL shows that you tapped the OK button to share your information.

I've never used the feature for Delta, but I would also assume that like all other apps with sharing, it would take you to a screen where you could enter a status message. So you'd have to tap to post that as a secondary check in case you accidentally hit the OK button to initiate it.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by dadamn
That's why it asks.
What it needs to ask is "Do you want to never be bothered by this again? Click here"

And .... have the opt-out actually work.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by plagwate
And if Delta's forcing me to check into Facebook (which I also find bloody annoying), why isn't it also forcing me to check into Foursquare, Yelp, Tumblr, Grindr, Tindr, Blendr, Scruff, MySpace, Geocities, and every other stupid social network that exists?

Seriously, this should be something that's simply configurable in your profile. All the social people can socialize away. All the anti-social people can be left alone.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:26 pm

Exactly. I don't show my driver's license to TSA, I never talk about future travel plans in a public place, and I certainly don't want DL to announce when I'm out of town or when and where I'm likely to be traveling driving or using public transportation at an odd hour.
What identification to you show them?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by twtrvl
I don't know about MSP, but I also don't use my DL for much of anything other than driving. My passport card and Global Entry card work nicely as govt IDs without disclosing my address.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
The comments on this thread are so fascinating to me...for those who object to posting travel plans on social media, won't show a driver's license at security, etc. for fear that someone will then go rob your house or otherwise cause you harm, do you:
-Call a cab/car service to your house for transit to airport?
-Check in to a hotel and provide an address, email, phone # (i.e. things that can be traced to a name and/or address) for the hotel's records? (Granted, company info could be provided.)
-Provide a driver's license for car rental? (i.e. far from where you live for a certain # of days?)
-Post on FT or otherwise 'anonymous' sites about individual flights or attendance at a DO/meetup/etc.?
-What else?

Not trying to flame, simply curious about the seeming desire for an anonymous travel experience among folks who choose to participate in an online travel forum. For the record - when MrWeezer & I travel, we have an Army Ranger who house sits for us. Yeah, we learned not to do a SDC to an earlier flight long ago and get home early. Ouch!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Symmetre
What it needs to ask is "Do you want to never be bothered by this again? Click here"

And .... have the opt-out actually work.
+1

We don't use FB, never have and never will. A permanent opt-out would save each of us time and effort, particularly when landing and wanting to look at email as quickly as possible.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by twtrvl
Passport or GE card. When I renew my passport (soon), I'll get a passport card too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.