Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Want to share your arrival on Facebook?

Want to share your arrival on Facebook?

Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
Thumbs down Want to share your arrival on Facebook?

I for one do not. I suspect most passengers do not, so Delta please stop with this unnecessary messaging. I do appreciate notifications regarding gate changes and delays. In fact they are extremely important to me. You have gone a little too far with the Facebook arrival notification message.

Most of us are fairly busy upon arrival and if one is prone to constant Facebook updating he/she probably does not need a prompt anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
And stay off his lawn, kid!!!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
agreed. Unless they start adding boxes on delta.com where you can add 'I use Facebook, Twitter' etc.' they should stop spamming their customers.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by frequentfoulup
I for one do not. I suspect most passengers do not, so Delta please stop with this unnecessary messaging. I do appreciate notifications regarding gate changes and delays. In fact they are extremely important to me. You have gone a little too far with the Facebook arrival notification message.

Most of us are fairly busy upon arrival and if one is prone to constant Facebook updating he/she probably does not need a prompt anyway.
+1. I feel exactly the same way. If I'm landing somewhere that I want to share with everyone I might do so, but I certainly am not going to do it via the Delta App.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
I know quite a few people who do it. On the other hand, I prefer not to notify everyone that I'm connected to on Facebook that I'm away from home.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by nichelle
I know quite a few people who do it.
I confess to being one of those.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
I don't think Delta will do anything. Assuming this a DL 'IT' or DL Social/Marketing Department job to do this. Send a note/email/call to Delta let them know how you feel. Then again we are talking about Delta.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
agreed. Unless they start adding boxes on delta.com where you can add 'I use Facebook, Twitter' etc.' they should stop spamming their customers.
There *is* a spot to add your twitter name.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Has anyone successfully been able to check in with the Delta mobile app. I know I have done it once and it must have been done by mistake because in at least 50+ landings where I've tried to find it after "clicking" on the notification from the Delta app, it always has to log me in and I'll be damned if I can find what it originally wanted to me to check in at my arrival airport after it logs me in.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I confess to being one of those.
^^ Me too.. This is how most people keep up with where I am.

Originally Posted by yohanson
Has anyone successfully been able to check in with the Delta mobile app. I know I have done it once and it must have been done by mistake because in at least 50+ landings where I've tried to find it after "clicking" on the notification from the Delta app, it always has to log me in and I'll be damned if I can find what it originally wanted to me to check in at my arrival airport after it logs me in.
^^ I think the DL app has a mind of it's own sometimes. ...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want to openly advertise the fact they're out of town. There are all sorts of horror stories out there of people who go on Facebook to post pictures of themselves on vacation, then return home to find out their house has been broken into. And they're actually shocked!!

Why not just put a billboard on the front lawn that reads "Owner is out of town - feel free to pillage!"

Stupidest idea ever, IMHO, and I absolutely wish Delta would quit pissing me off with this. If I want to share my adventures, I'll do it after I get home, thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Symmetre
For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want to openly advertise the fact they're out of town. There are all sorts of horror stories out there of people who go on Facebook to post pictures of themselves on vacation, then return home to find out their house has been broken into. And they're actually shocked!!
This. I don't like to advertise personal information or details, as there is enough already out there and available. However, it is up to the pax to decide if they want to advertise their every move. I don't think DL should be asking every time I land however. If someone wants to go post where they're at, they can do it on their own... or make it a setting in the app so I don't get asked every time.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Symmetre

Why not just put a billboard on the front lawn that reads "Owner is out of town - feel free to pillage!"

Stupidest idea ever, IMHO, and I absolutely wish Delta would quit pissing me off with this. If I want to share my adventures, I'll do it after I get home, thanks.
Some of us have really good alarm systems and retired next door neighbors that are always home.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:59 am

A big +1 on this thread, the Facebook notifications annoy me too. I don't use Facebook or look at it either. I don't understand the voyeur mentality of people that post everything on social media??
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by yohanson
Some of us have really good alarm systems and retired next door neighbors that are always home.
And travel a lot and have friends and relatives who travel a lot and also friends all over who may or may not be busy...

That said, I've never wanted the Delta app to let people know I've landed.

Originally Posted by Crabbie
I don't understand the voyeur mentality of people that post everything on social media??
So you like eating alone and drinking with strangers in the hotel bar?
(I'm guessing if you dislike social media, you're not in the Tindr/Grindr set)

Last edited by mother-; Aug 18, 2014 at 9:43 am Reason: Whoopsie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.