Search

PL Challenge Match - MQM Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
PL Challenge Match - MQM Question

Good morning,

I am in the middle of a status match challenge, which has granted me Platinum status for the challenge period. My question is --- if I book a Coach ticket and get upgraded due at the 5-day mark, will I earn 150% MQM for the flights due to being in First? Or would I earn the MQM of the paid ticket in coach?

I'm trying to calculate how many more MQM (via MR) will be needed if my upgrade clears next week.

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: DL GM, Hertz Gold Five Star
Upgrades do not grant COS bonus, you would still receive credit for your purchased class.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You also do NOT earn extra spendable miles that paid first class gives you.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the response! Last question -- do MQMs from DL AMEX earned during trial period count? I've yet to find an answer for that, as the T&C state "Earn 17,500 MQM"....But I'm about to pickup a MilesBoost (10K MQM and 10K RDM) for crossing the spend threshold.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Ender4576
Thanks to both of you for the response! Last question -- do MQMs from DL AMEX earned during trial period count? I've yet to find an answer for that, as the T&C state "Earn 17,500 MQM"....But I'm about to pickup a MilesBoost (10K MQM and 10K RDM) for crossing the spend threshold.
It states right in the status match requirements

In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection

If you want to boost your MQM's you can use PWM (Pay with Miles) when you book to use miles to pay the difference between coach and first and you still get the 150% MQM's. if Coach is $400 and First is $600 you can use 20K miles and it costs $400 for the F ticket.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
It states right in the status match requirements

In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection

If you want to boost your MQM's you can use PWM (Pay with Miles) when you book to use miles to pay the difference between coach and first and you still get the 150% MQM's. if Coach is $400 and First is $600 you can use 20K miles and it costs $400 for the F ticket.
Thanks for that tip, I wasn't sure how MQM's were determined with Pay With Miles!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Thanks for that tip, I wasn't sure how MQM's were determined with Pay With Miles!
Just don't pay for ALL of the tix with miles or you get 0 MQM, COS, etc. I've used this method several times in the last few years, good bonus miles and you get to sit in F! Good luck.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

If I found a mileage run in coach and paid for half with miles, id still earn full MQM (coach rate), as long as I don't pay for the full cost in miles? That's regardless if my upgrade clears or not.

Now you've got me second guessing haha!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
If I found a mileage run in coach and paid for half with miles, id still earn full MQM (coach rate), as long as I don't pay for the full cost in miles? That's regardless if my upgrade clears or not.

Now you've got me second guessing haha!
No, you want to buy a F ticket and pay with miles (not the whole thing), then you get the bonus MQM and COS mqm. If you buy a coach ticket and pay even $1 with miles you get a big fat ZERO mqm...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:54 pm

Even a little trickier

Be very careful when using PWM for that F ticket. I found out the hard way that if the ticket is later changed to an economy fare (say a K fare to use and upgrade certificate), then there is zero accrual of MQMs or miles. It took 5 diamond desk agents to finally come up with that explanation. I will spare you the other 4 explanations. Definitely a training opportunity for the DL DM desk agents to at least warn ticket changers of potential consequences other than the change fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.