Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lowest mileage cost for one-way to Middle East?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, AA Gold MM, SPG Gold, UA, DL

Hi all-

I'm trying to book a one-way standard award from SFO to TLV.

If I book it as a one-way, delta.com charges for the round-trip at 230K miles (it's a standard tier business class).

If I book a throw away return of LHR-SFO in economy low tier, then the mileage cost goes down to 145K miles (115K going there, 30K for the return).

My question is: can I do even better? If I could replace the 30K LHR-SFO leg with a domestic leg or a different international leg, I could potentially save 12.5K-17.5K miles. However, I've tried doing this on delta.com, and I haven't had any luck. For instance, if I do SFO-TLV in standard tier business, SLC-SFO in saver tier economy, delta.com prices me at 255K miles.

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Your approach isn't going to work.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...oj-2-x-ow.html

A disqualified open jaw like your SFO-TLV, SLC-SFO journey will price as two one-ways, and, until 1/1/15, in the Delta world that means two round-trips.

If you really need to book a DL one-way and are willing to do throw-away ticketing, find a saver coach return Europe-SFO on any date and add it to your SFO-TLV business flight. Not LHR - that's expensive for airport taxes and UK air passenger duty.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Is it possible to come up with a ridiculous north america routing in order to only burn 12.5K miles instead of 30K (and probably save on taxes+fees as well)?

Presumably, I'd be looking at trying to get back to SFO by starting at the north-east tip of Canada or something.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by aschwa
Is it possible to come up with a ridiculous north america routing in order to only burn 12.5K miles instead of 30K (and probably save on taxes+fees as well)?
No. That would not be a qualifying open jaw. Please see the link to the open jaw thread and specifically the remarks on unflown distance in the open jaw.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might be able to save miles by booking your ticket after January 1 when DL will have genuine one way award tickets. (OP doesn't specify travel dates.)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:03 pm

Or book a trip that starts this year and returns sometime in the future (next year) such that you can use a one way from the US next year and hook up with that leg as your return.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

What if I did:

SFO-JFK-TLV in business class

return:
YHZ-LGA-MIA
stopover MIA
MIA-JFK-SFO

According to webflyer, the distance is 5366 miles for the return. The distance from TLV to YHZ is 5070 miles.

Does that mean that I could book all of this flying for the cost of the SFO-TLV one-way plus 12500 miles for the throw-away return?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
No.

SFO-TLV = 7422 miles.
TLV-YHZ (surface/unflown) = 5080 miles.
YHZ-SFO = 3039 miles.

Your unflown segment is longer than YHZ-SFO, which makes this not an open jaw.

Not to mention YHZ-LGA-MIA-JFK-SFO is most certainly not an allowed routing for YHZ-SFO, so that is going to split into more than one fare.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Makes sense. Seems like Europe is the best bet. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.