Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Two reason to start a thread One bad and one good

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum

So yesterday I was on the morning flight from ANC-SEA and as I am standing in line for boarding the GA called a customer to the desk. The customer came in tow with a couple of teenagers. The GA asked to confirm if the customer had a Peanut allergy and after a few seconds of stammering said yes. The GA thanked him and dismissed him. As they were walking away the oldest teenager was sort of chuckling and said "Dad I don't really have a peanut allergy like mom always said, why did you tell that lady I did?" . On the flight they made several announcements that no Peanuts will be served due to a passenger with a severe peanut allergy. Some people you just never know why they do things.

So that was the bad reason to start a thread, it is a topic that has been beaten to death and will bring out the very vocal among the forum members.

Now for the good.

Once on the plane, I was in 4B (last row up front) the FA came around just after take off to take meal orders as there was a choice of hot or cold breakfast. At first I just thought I got lucky being last row and this was one of those flights where they start in the back but once she took our order she thanked us for being MM. She then moved to row 2, then row 1 then back to row 3. Not doing entire rows just select passengers. She then started in the front and worked her way back. I mentioned this to the guy sitting next to me and asked if he had ever noticed this before and he said no. So this FA took the time to review the manifest and prioritize the meals by FF status. I thought this was very nice. On a side note she was a bit of a rebel as she was a NWA flight attendant, still had NWA crew tags on her bags and no sign of Delta tags.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Million Miler being meaning something has probably also been done to death. But I agree, nice touch. On a recent TATL the purser came to me in Economy. "Mr GRALISTAIR, I see you are one of our Diamond Medallions. Thank you for your loyalty, if there is anything I can do during the flight just call". So some do, some dont.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Regarding the meal service - no doubt what was happening the F/A was making sure
that revenue high value customers were offered a choice between the hot and cold
breakfast options and what was left was going to perhaps non-revs. In this day and
age I don't think it was a matter of insufficient meals catered - on popular flights
FC/BC is almost always filled so there is no need for shorting meals but the ratio of
hot to cold meals could pose a problem if everyone wanted hot over cold.
No comment on the F/A crew bag tags.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Million Miler being meaning something has probably also been done to death. But I agree, nice touch. On a recent TATL the purser came to me in Economy. "Mr GRALISTAIR, I see you are one of our Diamond Medallions. Thank you for your loyalty, if there is anything I can do during the flight just call". So some do, some dont.
My experience is similar - on a LHR-BOS flight earlier this year, the purser came back, introduced herself, handed me a bottle of water, and said to let her know if I need anything. I've also had thank you notes left on my seat and had pursers take DM orders first.

I'd say it happens 3-4 times per year, maybe...

Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:55 am

There are certainly merits to different ways of taking meal preferences (FEBO, by status, by fare), but I think most would agree that whatever the airline decides should be followed by all FAs.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by will2288
There are certainly merits to different ways of taking meal preferences (FEBO, by status, by fare), but I think most would agree that whatever the airline decides should be followed by all FAs.
Exactly; IME, DL seems pretty inconsistent. :-/
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
Originally Posted by rwoman
Exactly; IME, DL seems pretty inconsistent. :-/
They actually are very consistent, in the randomness in which they do most everything.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by DLERT
Regarding the meal service - no doubt what was happening the F/A was making sure
that revenue high value customers were offered a choice between the hot and cold
breakfast options and what was left was going to perhaps non-revs. In this day and
age I don't think it was a matter of insufficient meals catered - on popular flights
FC/BC is almost always filled so there is no need for shorting meals but the ratio of
hot to cold meals could pose a problem if everyone wanted hot over cold.
No comment on the F/A crew bag tags.
Not to harp on it but Medallion Status level is no indicator of customer value. My wife will finish this year as a PM with 120K+ MQM and under $2,500 MQD's. She could easily make DM if she chose to but would rather roll the 45K+ MQM's. She is NOT an HVC, nor am I for that matter - my MQD's will be under $5,000 and I'll also be a PM with 120K+ MQM's.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Not to harp on it but Medallion Status level is no indicator of customer value. My wife will finish this year as a PM with 120K+ MQM and under $2,500 MQD's. She could easily make DM if she chose to but would rather roll the 45K+ MQM's. She is NOT an HVC, nor am I for that matter - my MQD's will be under $5,000 and I'll also be a PM with 120K+ MQM's.
AMEX? DL always gets its money somehow.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by cdubose98
AMEX? DL always gets its money somehow.
AMEX? Of course!

Also, very few "pure MR's". None for her, some for me since she gets 60K MQM's from AMEX. All domestic.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Same experience SEA - ATL. She thanked me fir MM, said "making sure you gave the choice is the least we can do as much as you fly". She walked to random seats so assuming it was MM or DM, etc.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No she won't -she needs 7500 MQD to make PM.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
No she won't -she needs 7500 MQD to make PM.
AMEX? Of course!

Also, very few "pure MR's". None for her, some for me since she gets 60K MQM's from AMEX. All domestic.
She gets the MQD wavier with 25k spend on Amex.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
She gets the MQD wavier with 25k spend on Amex.
ok MY BAD
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Originally Posted by RollsRoyceAndy
They actually are very consistent, in the randomness in which they do most everything.
+1 ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.