Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Intl to domestic connection at JFK: time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Haven't gone through JFK in some time. Considering taking Delta from FOR to ORD via GRU and JFK, biz class GRU-JFK, first JFK-ORD (CRJ-900) in early November We'd have to change terminals at JFK, from 4 to 2 in addition to, of course, Immigration and Customs. Would just under 3 hours be enough? Next flight to ORD is almost 5 hours later. We realize fc in the CRJ won't be luxurious, but even fc in a "regular sized" plane isn't.

Other options, going through ATL or DTW, would give us more conneciton time both at GRU and in the U.S., and we could land at MDW vs. ORD, but would cost $400+ more pp.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I have done Int. - D, Term. 4 - 2, with 1:45 connection time with no problem. I might recommend re-clearing security at T-4 and taking the airside jitney (by gate B23) over to T-2. TSA is generally less jammed at T-4 than at T-2.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Delta GM, US Gold, Amtrak S+
Assuming no delays out of GRU, should be enough of time. Especially if you only bring carry ons.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Three hours should be plenty. For much discussion see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Should be easy -- do you have global entry?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

No Global Entry (long story why) and we will have checked bags (long trip).
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by SoCal
No Global Entry (long story why) and we will have checked bags (long trip).
No Global Entry I assume means no TSA PreCheck.

After you recheck your bags, take a look at the security line downstairs (behind the escalators to the Airtran). Sometimes the line is shorter down there.

If it is, clear security and take the dumpy bus (excuse me....The Jitney) to T2
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
IIRC there is no TSA Precheck at all at security gates after immigration. One would have to exit the terminal and reenter through normal gates.

Anyway 3 hrs are more than enough, unless your plane is late, your bags are missing and things like that.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thesaints
IIRC there is no TSA Precheck at all at security gates after immigration. One would have to exit the terminal and reenter through normal gates.

Anyway 3 hrs are more than enough, unless your plane is late, your bags are missing and things like that.
Well, if the bags are late and the plane is missing, we could have problems. Don't laugh. It happened, and to a plane landing at New York! I know, because I saw it on TV. http://www.ask.com/wiki/The_Odyssey_...apn&ap=ask.com
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by thesaints

You don't have to exit the terminal - you just have to go up 2 escalators to reach the normal security checkpoint
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
You don't have to exit the terminal - you just have to go up 2 escalators to reach the normal security checkpoint
Saturday, July 12, there was no reentry to the secure area direct from immigration available. At least mid-afternoon when I was there everyone was being directed up to the regular security checkpoint.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by mot29
Saturday, July 12, there was no reentry to the secure area direct from immigration available. At least mid-afternoon when I was there everyone was being directed up to the regular security checkpoint.
Yes the downstairs security checkpoint is not always open
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:59 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Assuming the OP and companion(s) are US citizens, JFK has kiosks that do part of the passport control processing and have sped things up tremendously, so you will probably be fine. Biggest risk is bags, but hopefully that will be no problem.

Agreed with others that you should re-clear security in T4 and take the jitney -- now that T3 has mostly been torn down the jitney takes a short route that only takes a few minutes, with frequent buses. From clearing security in T4 to arriving at T2 should take no more than 15 minutes, including walking time in T4.

I haven't used the downstairs security checkpoint at T4 (the re-clearance point for international arrivals), but I would recommend sticking with that unless it is closed or looks to be a real mess. The upstairs, arriving-off-the-street security checkpoint at T4 is nearly always a disaster (and while Sky Priority helps, one often still ends up behind families with 4 children and other such delights in the priority-can't-help-you zone between ID check and actually going through the scanning machine).

If everything goes very smoothly and you have some extra time after clearing security, the SkyClub in T4 is much nicer than the one in T2 and would be a better place to wait for your next flight, but be aware that the T4 SkyClub is a ~10 minute walk from security and then another ~10 minute walk back from the SkyClub to the T2 jitney station.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:42 am

Here was today's JFK T4 immigration line (for U.S. citizens). What a freakin' mess.

And at this point, the line is snaking around the corner leading to the hallway that ends up in the big room.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
Here was today's JFK T4 immigration line (for U.S. citizens). What a freakin' mess.

And at this point, the line is snaking around the corner leading to the hallway that ends up in the big room.
For those of you without GE -- that open space on the left underneath the yellow sign is Global Entry.

Please ensure you don't sign up so we can keep that lane open!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.