Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Studio

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Delta Studio

Delta Air Lines (DAL) today announced it will begin offering free entertainment options on all of its domestic aircraft and two-cabin regional jets beginning on Aug. 1.

http://news.delta.com/2014-07-28-Cus...-Other-Carrier
http://seekingalpha.com/pr/10585295-...-other-carrier

Through the introduction of Delta Studio our customers have yet another reason to choose Delta and a different travel experience
said Tim Mapes, senior vice president Marketing.

Looks like a direct stab at JetBlue.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Even though I know the content is local, I still worry about bandwidth concerns.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Did I miss something, or isn't that all what we have now? Or does this mean the streaming movies on board are free?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
The difference I see is full unrestricted access to all content in domestic for First and Eco comfort, and limited free access (that does include some movies but not all) for regular Y.
Same thing from the Delta app on your tablet through Wifi if the plane is not equipped with PTV.

What I don't quite understand is the difference in international. Is content now only partially free in international in Y, and only full free access for Eco Comfort and J?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Sounds pretty good. I guess the in-flight streaming will make up for lack of AVOD on domestic planes like the MD-88 and what not. Flights like LGA-MIA is about a 3 hour flight and perfect for a movie but most of the planes used on this route and similar routes have no seatback AVOD.

Good job DL.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by rylan
Did I miss something, or isn't that all what we have now? Or does this mean the streaming movies on board are free?
Many of the ex NW planes don't have it... and did anyone notice nothing was said about barbie jets or that the conversion will take two years?

Bob H
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BobH
Many of the ex NW planes don't have it... and did anyone notice nothing was said about barbie jets or that the conversion will take two years?

Bob H
Try reading the press release again. It's pretty clear about the scope of the rollout and those aircraft that will rely upon wifi delivery to smartphone/tablet/laptap vs. installed AVOD.

http://news.delta.com/2014-07-28-Cus...-Other-Carrier
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by indufan
Even though I know the content is local, I still worry about bandwidth concerns.
A 763 ATL-LAX might see 80 people of ~260 passengers trying to stream video. My expectations are going to be pretty low even if the system uses a lot of buffering.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Southwest uses systems like this to deliver live TV free on-board. It's pretty effective, too, with a fairly high quality. ^ Delta
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:42 pm

Thumbs up Delta to offer new free entertainment options

http://online.wsj.com/articles/delta...elta+air+lines

if you can't read the WSJ option here is the AJC:

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/del...ainment/ngpjj/
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Finally!!!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Delta's press release

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=20295&item=124561
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:30 pm

Sorry. I did check before posting but did not associate "Delta Studio" with this announcement.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:27 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
This is a potential nightmare for those of us who use Gogo for actual work and pay money for it to the tune of $50 a month. Unless there's been some significant upgrade in bandwidth here, this is bad news for Gogo subscribers who rely upon the service to conduct actual business and make travel arrangements while on the fly so people can watch TV. It is not that uncommon for me to need the service to book a hotel and car while on a flight because I'm headed somewhere suddenly without advance arrangements having been made. The speed isn't that great as it is, but it gets the job done.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
I'd rather have free WiFi since I never watch movies, but Delta will never give up the GoGo cash cow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.