Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Starts SLC-AMS May 1

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
Sweet! For being a hub, SLC has really gotten a raw deal with intercontinental flights.

Last year I was supposed to fly SLC-CDG but it was over 7 hours delayed and ultimately cancelled; everything leaving that day was oversold and nobody could get out until the next day. Anyway, in the Skyclub getting rebooked, I was chatting with the agent who was really a pro, incidentally, but she casually let it slip that the Church of Latter Day Saints heavily subsidizes SLC-CDG.

Assuming her info was correct, I wonder if they will be subsidizing this route as well.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Originally Posted by SkiUtah
Awesome News! Non-stop to AMS will be awesome I do expect this flight to do very well in the summer. I am thinking its summer seasonal only?

I guess they are trying to out seat capacity to Europe to make it very tough on BA to add SLC. BA was in SLC looking around, so this might have been there sign to make AMS a go and make it less attractive.
According to USA Today this is seasonal http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...city/13256583/
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DAV2355711
Last year I was supposed to fly SLC-CDG but it was over 7 hours delayed and ultimately cancelled; everything leaving that day was oversold and nobody could get out until the next day. Anyway, in the Skyclub getting rebooked, I was chatting with the agent who was really a pro, incidentally, but she casually let it slip that the Church of Latter Day Saints heavily subsidizes SLC-CDG.

Assuming her info was correct, I wonder if they will be subsidizing this route as well.
I'm curious why? It's not like France has a heavy LDS population. They only got a temple in Paris two or three years ago. Now French Poly. I could understand. Approx. ten percent of the islands belong to LDS according to the numbers I was able to find. This actually equals just about the same number in all of France proper.

Anyway on the BA note I'm betting this won't have a big impact. First BA would fly into LHR, which can usually pull higher fares simply because more business/tourists want to go there. Also BA has been adding flights to cities now that its 787s are being delivered. Austin, TX just got added this year, and from what I learned from the flight attendant more US cities are planned. She wouldn't say which ones, just that the 787s are allowing them to start direct service to cities.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:12 pm

I think its only summer seasonal for now, but I would not be surprised to see it brought back for peak ski season. Might be attractive to a lot of Europeans not having to go through US customs at a connection point.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life
A little birdie told me to check delta.com for SLC-AMS. delta.com is indeed showing SLC-AMS starting May 1. Looks to be 5 weekly from May 1 through May 18, with no operation on Tuesday and Wednesday. It then goes to daily beginning May 19th. Equipment is 767-300ER, the 76L variety. Times are

SLC - AMS 4:50pm - 10:55am
AMS - SLC 10:30am - 1:15pm
So SLC-AMS lands at 1055 but AMS-SLC departs at 1030. Surely tjey aren't going to let the plane sit there for 24 hours. Does the plane go elsewhere? What am I missing?

Hope this doesb't adversely impact PDX-AMS.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I guess they can't route EVERYBODY through SEA.

I am happy to see the expanded service for SLC.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by PIONEER
So SLC-AMS lands at 1055 but AMS-SLC departs at 1030. Surely tjey aren't going to let the plane sit there for 24 hours. Does the plane go elsewhere? What am I missing?
It will likely be rotated SLC-AMS-EWR-AMS-SLC.

SLC-AMS
16:50 - 10:55(+1)
AMS-EWR
12:50 - 15:30
EWR-AMS
18:20 - 07:50(+1)
AMS-SLC
10:30 - 13:15
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Delta has other 767s that go to/from AMS (e.g., from JFK, EWR, ATL, BOM). Any one of these could be subsequently used for AMS-SLC depending on the schedules. NExt summer's schedules are far from fixed, so can't definitively say where the SLC plane will come from/go to as yet...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG, Hilton, Starwood
The last saturday morning I was in AMS I counted no less than 5 DL 76Ls on the ground there (as well as 3 33Ls and a 32L).

Just check out all the places N192DN has been lately: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N192DN

There's some sort of service pattern there....
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Hope this doesb't adversely impact PDX-AMS.
Actually, the next flight is going to EWR. They won't sit there for 24 hours.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SLC to get 8% capacity increase; AMS nonstop

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=20295&item=124566

Did not see a thread on this yet. This announcement seems to be the first fruits of the recent construction start on the new SLC airport.
http://www.slcairport.com/TRP-Progress_Gallery.asp

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Aug 5, 2014 at 6:10 am Reason: Merged into an existing thread on the topic
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
SLC-AMS discussed last week.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-may-1-a.html
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by amanuensis
This announcement seems to be the first fruits of the recent construction start on the new SLC airport.
http://www.slcairport.com/TRP-Progress_Gallery.asp
I doubt that DL adding flights now has much to do with a terminal opening in 2019
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I doubt that DL adding flights now has much to do with a terminal opening in 2019
Totally agree.

Also, advertising an 8% increase in planned capacity, and then saying it is over 5 years is next to meaningless. It is like a boss saying we really want you to stick around, so we may give you a salary increase of 8% - over the next five years. It does not inspire confidence in the leader.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:04 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
This might mean more award flights at least at the beginning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.