Delta Starts SLC-AMS May 1

Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Delta Starts SLC-AMS May 1

A little birdie told me to check delta.com for SLC-AMS. delta.com is indeed showing SLC-AMS starting May 1. Looks to be 5 weekly from May 1 through May 18, with no operation on Tuesday and Wednesday. It then goes to daily beginning May 19th. Equipment is 767-300ER, the 76L variety. Times are

SLC - AMS 4:50pm - 10:55am
AMS - SLC 10:30am - 1:15pm
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:21 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Very nice!^
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I would like that as it would give me a longer ride in BE so I wonder what pricing is going to look like. I don't know that I can jump in while they are putting this market on the map.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a nice surprise! I can fly PHX-SLC-AMS and it's much easier for me. I don't have go through DTW anymore.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Delta owes its pilot a couple more transatlantic flights per day by next year, in order to be in compliance with their contract around the AF/KL/AZ/DL joint venture. They've been underperforming for several years, which means fewer jobs for Delta pilots. This will probably go a long way toward plugging that hole.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
The prices also seem to be close to what SLC-CDG is nonstop. I may have to change our plans and be on the May 1 flight.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
starts 5/1/2015 --- right?

Bob H
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:56 am

Verrrrrrrrrry interesting. I'm going to assume that this is just a summer seasonal flight?

I took the SLC-CDG and SLC-NRT inaugural flights - I may have to put a notch in my belt for this one too.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I assume that this means either DTW or MSP to AMS will lose a frequency during the summer months in 2015. Not due to slot issues, of course, but rather management of capacity into AMS.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:05 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by N830MH
Wow! What a nice surprise! I can fly PHX-SLC-AMS and it's much easier for me. I don't have go through DTW anymore.
Was just thinking the same!!! ^^

Sure hope they offer some BE seats in "Low." I'll have about 500,000 SkyMiles by the end of this year!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Delta owes its pilot a couple more transatlantic flights per day by next year, in order to be in compliance with their contract around the AF/KL/AZ/DL joint venture. They've been underperforming for several years, which means fewer jobs for Delta pilots. This will probably go a long way toward plugging that hole.
fewer jobs? Has DL been laying off pilots?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Too early to tell if it will be summer seasonal or not...Delta is currently only selling tickets through late June. But I think it is entirely possible to run this flight year-round with 4x or 5x weekly flights in the winter, similar to CDG.

AMS seems to have very few flights that are completely eliminated in the winter. Just frequency reductions typically.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:17 pm

Nice addition. Wonder what it means for any possible SLC-LHR flight, especially since BA has been rumored to be interested in the route?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Originally Posted by cdubose98
Nice addition. Wonder what it means for any possible SLC-LHR flight, especially since BA has been rumored to be interested in the route?
BA will definitely steer clear now with the added capacity to Europe. Delta may be the one to start SLCLHR now. This AMS route was a no brainer. I expect to see PDX-CDG added now.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CALMSP
fewer jobs? Has DL been laying off pilots?
Nope, but they'd either have to a) fly more or b) pay their pilots to fly more, with those hours being at the top of the scale, rather than in narrowbodies.

As for other frequency reductions, I thought the same and looked it up. For now, MSP keeps its 3x daily, DTW keeps its 4x daily, PDX keeps its 1x daily and SEA keeps its 2x daily. I didn't check ATL or JFK, but we all know Delta never reduces frequencies in ATL and a drawdown in JFK in favor of SLC seems really unlikely. Subject to change of course, but I think this is a new frequency.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.