Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compass (Delta?) Baggage charge for internal part of longhaul flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Hi, am I right in thinking that Compass operate for Delta?

I'm looking to book a flight through KAYAK from LHR > SFO, where the return flight will go via LAX.
The details in KAYAK say the outbound is with Virgin 19, the inbound internal part is with Virgin 4118 being operated by Compass (then on to Virgin 8).

Will my baggage allowance for the internal flight with Compass match the Virgin flight, or will standard baggage allowance incur a charge (standard 50lb's per person (2 x adults, 1 x 3 year old), 3 x carry on's)?

Thanks all.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
VS 4118 is a codeshare operated by Compass Airlines dba Delta Connection.

To be clear, your return flights are SFO-LAX-LHR on VS 4118 and VS 8, correct? As long as VS 4118 and VS 8 are connecting flights on the same ticket (and I don't see how they couldn't be), your baggage allowance on VS 4118 will match your baggage allowance on VS 8. See http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en...vice-fees.html.

"If you are travelling on a VS* codeshare flight connecting to or from the US (operated by one of our partner airlines), then as the marketing carrier, Virgin Atlantic's baggage allowance applies. For any additional baggage and additional sporting equipment, Virgin Atlantic's charges also apply."
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response.

How do I find out if the connecting flight is on the same ticket?

On KAYAK, lots of different agencies are offering this flight package (a different prices obviously) - Crystal Travel, Travel Trolley, Expedia and Opodo - with Crystal Travel being the cheapest.

Also, we get 2h 40m to 'Change Planes', is this usually sufficient?
If we miss the connection due to delays, are we covered for this for a different flight?

Last edited by RSIAN; Jul 16, 2014 at 1:33 am
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If you did not intentionally buy multiple tickets (and did not have some creative travel agent booking it), you are virtually certain to be on a single ticket.

2:40 is enough time, but I would STRONGLY suggest you familiarize yourself with LAX airport in advance. I believe you will be having to go outside and either take a shuttle or walk though the parking decks (is Virgin planning on moving to T5/6?).

If you miss, they still owe you a flight home, but incedental expenses will depend on what happened. So you might well be on your own for meals/hotels and such.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks again!

When I went to book, it took me to the OTA's page (Crystal Travel), which had a 'KAYAK' banner on it, so I thought it OK to ring and ask them.

Although the agent didn't answer my question directly, he said that I was getting such a good price as it did not include baggage and that we would have to pay extra - he then tried to push me towards a flight with a layover in New York - more money, but included 'baggage' and was with Virgin all the way.

I told him that I didn't believe Virgin charged for baggage on long haul, and he said that this was a promotional offer and didn't include baggage.

I assumed he was trying to pull a fast one and ended the call.

Below is the flight I am looking at - any advice on potential hidden charges, or if it looks like it's all on one ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.